Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: lilywriter (offline) on Friday, September 06 2013 @ 10:11 PM EDT  
lilywriter

I am still seeing some Ospreys in Calgary. I just saw one this evening -- it has just caught a fish. However, I am afraid to go to the zoo nest in case our family is not longer there.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 08:45 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Christine and Hi to all here!

Christine if they are not there, then they started their great adventure. Mom usually leaves first before Dad so odds are someone is there.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 11:37 AM EDT  
amd

Good Morning Christine & Carolyn! I had planned to go peek last night but this huge rain storm blew in at about 6:30pm so I decided to put it off... couldn't even see the downtown highrises due the thickness of the clouds that were hanging down so low; this morning it is again raining cats & dogs!!

Yikes...hopefully this ends soon so I can pop down there to check our Osprey family. Stopped there 2 days ago, there were 2 chicks in the water (1 bathed vigorously for at least 20 min) and Dad was on the metal power pole then flew to the nest where the third chick was just relaxing. No Fish deliveries. No Mom at that time...I couldn't stay too long, so of course I am hoping she was fishing. I too am hesitant to go there and realize that the "exodus" has begun with Mom's departure on her super adventure south, but I do keep reminding myself that it is par for the course, and these loving parents couldn't have done a better job bringing up such a healthy beautiful family!

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Saturday, September 07 2013 @ 01:51 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Christine and Michelle....I understand the feeling of "exodus". It's a sad/happy feeling that is so mixed you don't know what to think.

We were so lucky this year turned out as it did - count your blessings with me for the wonders we have seen and mostly through your eyes - thank you along with the other folks (Janet, Ernie, etc.) who kept us in the loop.
Hugs to you both,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: amd (offline) on Sunday, September 08 2013 @ 11:34 AM EDT  
amd

Yes Carolyn, you have hit those feelings right on the dot!
Yesterday, I managed to quickly visit again without getting too wet -- this time I only saw 2 chicks on the tree east of the nest (with the dead perching branches) very very quiet until Dad flew in from the west onto one of the utility poles, no fish in talons, but boy did those chicks verbally bring on a ruckus thinking it was perhaps snack time... Wow! Also with all the rain, the river again is noticeably high again, the rocks where it is shallow/where the O's usually bathe are covered again, but luckily its going to dry up and be quite warm again here. Thanks again Carolyn -- enjoy your Sunday!

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Sunday, September 08 2013 @ 11:53 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Michelle......Cool report! Or should I say "wet" report. I know with the river high fishing can be rough for Dad. I do appreciate your checking, it was kind of you.
I am gone again for a week starting next Saturday so it's good to know they are doing well - they will be leaving for sure before I get back.

TY again,
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Sunday, September 08 2013 @ 07:47 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Quick visit 3-315 today. Mom on post with fish, Juvie on nest. Mom did a fly past with the fish before delivery to the Juvie on the nest. Looked big, a silvery fish. I wasn't set up in time to catch a pic. The Juvie didn't even touch the fish for about ten minutes, so must be well fed. Two O flew over the nest, but fast, and were high so I couldn't tell who they were. Then Mom flew off nest and followed them East. So, not much to tell but at least the O are still there ! Beautiful afternoon, clear water, paths still muddy and under construction....but that did not deter me.... lol
Click on image to download

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Sunday, September 08 2013 @ 09:25 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Short piece of video of one of the Juvies enjoying the Fish delivery compliments of Super Mom !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tZvy_OI5eZ8

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:44 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate