The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: lilywriter (offline) on Saturday, August 31 2013 @ 11:44 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Part 3

Did I say that young on the nest called for fish? It reminded me of Royal at Hellgate last year. Dad looked over but ignored it. The fish must have been somewhat small because dad left the pole and went to the water. He did not deliver any fish to the nest so the young kept calling. While in the water, dad splashed around a bit, dipped his head a couple of times and looked around. He then took off and flew back to the pole. No fish there. The one in the nest kept calling when another juvie came in from the east and landed on the tree east of the nest. At first, I thought it was mom but then it, too, started to call and call and call. The picture is not very clear but I think I see some white tips on the feathers.

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Saturday, August 31 2013 @ 11:47 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Part 4

I stayed for a little while longer and no one else showed up. Of course, after I packed up the camera and closed my tripod and head back to the car, I could not resist one last look. The chick on the nest decided to fly off across the river and went right by where I had been taking pictures. Sigh -- I have to remember not to look back.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Sunday, September 01 2013 @ 12:29 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Wow Dad standing in the water again, so adorable. Thx for sharing the pics and braving the heat at the Zoo. Great pics. I wonder if Mom has fled to even warmer climates. The juvies.... o no what happened to our adorable boblets !! They are obviously getting very independent. That is good. Thank you for the update Christine.

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 01 2013 @ 12:37 PM EDT  
BET

Thank you Christine

A great report and wonderful images. I particularly like the one of Dad cooling (or cleaning?) his feet in the river.

Michelle - Thank you for your narrative.

You wonderful Calgarians have gone above and beyond keeping us current on the status of our favorite O's. It is greatly appreciated.

Click on image to download to you all

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Sunday, September 01 2013 @ 01:18 PM EDT  
amd

Happy Labor Day long weekend everyone!! Thank you Christine for enduring that fun obstacle course by the river to get to your usual viewing spots of the nest! It is very strange how quiet peoplewise and birdwise it seemed to be.....I absolutely love your pictures. Dad is so sweet, enjoying the water. I am pretty sure the osprey on the dead branches of the tree to the east of the nest is one of the chicks --- almost everytime that I have visited lately he/she seems to just love to perch there...its true, their flecked feather markings on their bodies are getting a little harder to see now, but I can still tell the babes from the parents with the more beigey coloring on the backs of their heads. I am so proud that they are getting so independent....it won't be too long now...seeing the pic of the magpie reminded me of last year, when the family had left mid-September-ish......I really hope that Supermom hasn't left yet, seems so soon, but you never know....this family has truly had an amazing year...Mom and Dad have done such wonderful job of bringing up their 3 beautiful chicks. Wub
Again, many, many thanks to you Christine!!

ADDED: I stopped by mid-afternoon, saw Dad again on top of the tall metal tower, 2 chicks on the nest, BOTH were happily eating, and 3rd chick preening on the favorite partially dead branched poplar tree to the east of the nest. I didn't see Mom in the trees or the water....maybe fishing?? Hmmmm.....I couldn't stay for very long to see if she came back at all...but in the back of my head I am definitely wondering.....

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Monday, September 02 2013 @ 12:05 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Quick visit this afternoon from 4-530pm I must have just missed you Michelle. Puts my observations into perspective. We should all set up a roster for visiting !!! LOL
Quiet for the longest time
Dad on first post west, 3 chicks on nest, definitely chicks
No fish No sight of Mom
LOTS squawking, that was it

All of a sudden all three chicks flew off the nest towards us
They returned in minutes
Then Mom arrived from East and circled the nest lots, she never landed anywhere
Then headed back to the East, and Dad soon followed her
We were just packing up to leave as we had little time to spare and it could have been ages before they returned
then
lots of squawking
Mom circled nest with what looked like the hugest fish even from our distance
She settled on the 2nd furthest post west
She may have already eaten his head of before she arrived
I started video of her eating some of the fish, then I zoomed out the include the nest in the picture, then I zoomed in on the nest JUST AS MOM FLEW IN WITH IT
I had no idea cos I was busy watching the nest thru my viewfinder, sheer luck
She only sat on the post with it for max two minutes
Its rather blurred at first and for awhile I couldnt tell who if anyone had grabbed the fish, in fact I was convinced it slipped off the nest
Looking now at the video it is obvious that the furthest east chick at front has it, but I was surprised the others didnt put up more of a fight, also the chick in possession of the fish only pecked occasionally at it.
So.....I am thinking despite all the squawking, these chicks are actually very well fed and you confirm that Michelle !!!
Our 'chicks' do a whole lotta squawking for nothing !!!
Video is still publishing at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0xV044 ... tube_gdata
Heres the pics of Dad on the post, then the chicks left and return one by one within seconds of each other

>

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Monday, September 02 2013 @ 12:07 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Mom with fish on post, then after she delivered it to the nest, the chick furthest right at front has it

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Monday, September 02 2013 @ 12:09 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Video after fish delivery
These are very greedy 'chicks' by all accounts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfzGPaAU ... tube_gdata

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:15 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate