Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 07:43 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Thank you Janet.....so true. I feel badly for that other nest (not ours).
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 07:57 PM EDT  
JudyB

Sending hugs, Janet. hug

And thanks for all the pictures of "our" osprey - so amazing, and as you suggest, so lucky. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: amd (offline) on Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 11:57 PM EDT  
amd

Janet, that news is so heartbreaking...I drive by the Fish Creek nest every day and everything there seems wonderful... I daily see several osprey, (at least 2 chicks, plus parents I think) on that nest and more recently, one from the nest now perches on a nearby lamp-post beside Macleod Trail, usually enjoying a fish or relaxing. I haven't visited the other nest/highway 22x for a couple weeks at least; but whichever nest it is, I feel so sad for that family......you are right about how precious these beautiful birds are.... Cry RIP sweetheart...

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Thursday, August 29 2013 @ 11:53 PM EDT  
amd

Stopped at the Zoo nest for 45 minutes this afternoon, 3:50-4:35pm -- just to make sure all was OK -- 2 chicks on the nest, one eating happily the whole time I was there, second on the side relaxing...the third chick was perched and preening in the poplars just east of the nest. Looked high and low for Supermom and Dad, but couldn't see or hear them...I could barely hear any osprey calls if there were any, due to the hundreds (seemed to be more than usual) gulls on the rocks/sandbar. All three chicks stayed put/didn't fly at all during my visit. They might've been pooped from the heat and humidity today. It was 30 degrees when I was down there, thank goodness there was plenty of shade and a light breeze by the river. Quite the thunderstorm rolled into the city tonight, unexpected really...hopefully there wasn't any hail...get so nervous for that...well, it's been a very long day. Good night everyone. Sleep well sweet osprey family.

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Friday, August 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Michelle you are an Angel, I so needed to know the O were okay at the Zoo. I was in Okotoks when the storm hit, a bad one last night, wind horrendous, some got hail, lots of flash flooding. Thank you for putting my mind at ease. Can you believe how many seagulls are down there, its so noisy.
Thank you again

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Friday, August 30 2013 @ 05:51 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Thank you for the updates and the wonderful pictures and video.

I tried to go down to the zoo nest today because of last night's storm and there was so much work in the area and pathway, I could tell my presence was not appreciated. I could not even get close enough to see the nest. I will try again tomorrow afternoon.

I feel terrible about the other nest.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Saturday, August 31 2013 @ 11:36 PM EDT  
lilywriter

I went down to the Zoo nest this afternoon. When I first arrived, the nest was empty, no one was on the poles and the trees were bare. Even the area was quiet. There were a couple of geese, not many seagulls, no boaters, almost no cyclists and fewer walkers. The place was quiet! Was I missing something??? Was there a party somewhere? I could hear music off in the distance.

Finally, dad arrived and landed on the very tall tower west of the nest. He sat there for about 10 minutes and then flew off to the east. I decided to wait to see if anyone else would show up and someone did -- crows. Crows started to land in the trees near where I was standing. They even flew in from across the river. I was a little worried that this was shaping up to be a scene from "The Birds." Thank goodness, after allowing me to take a picture or two, they flew off. I decided to wait a little longer and as I watched, a young O flew in from the east and landed on the nest. It walked around but did not stay to long and it was off again -- flying to the east. Obviously, the party was happening east of the nest.

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Saturday, August 31 2013 @ 11:40 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Part 2.

Once again, the nest was empty so a magpie took the opportunity to look around the nest for scraps of left over fish. No luck! As I watched the magpie, Dad (I think) flew in from the east and landed on the pole with a fish. Not far behind one of the young who obviously felt like it had not been fed for about 4 days came flying in, yes, from the east. The whole time dad ate, it called and called and called. I thought for sure all the calling would bring in the other two young and mom but it was left alone on the nest calling for fish. I wonder if mom has left.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:30 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate