Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2013
 |  Printable Version
By: lilywriter (offline) on Thursday, August 22 2013 @ 11:15 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Michelle, you are wonderful to go down in this heat and see the whole family!! I, too, am not too far from Fish Creek and 22X and at both nests it is hard to see the whole family because the young has fledged and they are learning to fish. The same goes for the Glenmore nest.

Mom and I had a lovely experience last night. We were down in Fish Creek Park (not near the Opsrey nest but near the boat launch and the Bow River). We sat and watched an osprey try to catch a fish. We are not sure if it was a young or a mature one. It was cool to see it kind of hover over the water and then move and then hover. It would do it for a while and then go sit in a tree. After a while, it flew off to a quieter part of the river -- too many fishermen, boats and a woman throwing rocks in the water where we were. I am sure it had better luck there.

BET, I think you are right about the camera being shut down early in 2011. We asked them not to turn in off but they said the osprey had left so I went down to the nest area and took the picture of our superdad below on September 15, 2011. The picture is not too clear -- I was learning how to use my camera at the time.

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: amd (offline) on Friday, August 23 2013 @ 02:43 AM EDT  
amd

Christine, that must have been absolutely exhilarating for you and your Mom to watch that osprey fish that evening....it is such a beautiful thing to watch...the "hovering move" seems so effortless!! Your picture of Superdad is so precious...his eyes show so much intensity! Thank you for this.

Michelle

Forum

Calgary, AB Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Friday, August 23 2013 @ 10:10 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Good Morning Friends!

Christine, beautiful picture of Superdad in 2011. I remember the cam going off early. Your description of the hover is super cool!
Thank you,
carolyn

P.S. We were down near Rockport Texas looking at the Whooping Cranes in Arsansas Wildlife Reserve and in the boat we saw an osprey swoop down, catch the fish and fly right over us.
My husband got a picture of it with the fish in its talons. It was a wow moment.

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, August 25 2013 @ 09:28 AM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning Calgary.

I arrived home but I am very sad (and ashamed) to say that I didn't get a chance to visit the nest while I was in Calgary the past week. Twice we made plans to go and both times we had to cancel at the last minute.

I am so happy to see the updated reports from you both, Michelle and Janet. It sounds as if things are happening right on schedule this year. Thank you so much for all the trips you made to the zoo in the heat.....and the smoke from the Kootenay National Park forest fire that is blowing into the city. It was really quite smokey when I left the city and I can't imagine it will be better any time soon unless the winds shift. I drove home the south route through the Crowsnest Pass and the further south I got the clearer the sky got. We have only a slight haze here in the Cranbrook area.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 01:24 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Trip to the Zoo nest today 5-7pm, All the O family were around. One boblet was eating, then Mom flew in with a small fish/leftovers and another chick stole that. Lots of flying around but with seemingly millions of seagulls there flying around and our O's flying around too, it was hard to figure out "Who's who at the Zoo" One chick was in the trees just to the right of the nest. Mom or Dad were either on post or in trees to the left at different times. Dad stood in the water for almost half an hour below the nest to the left and hardly moved. At one point something spooked the seagulls, the noise was deafening, and as you will see when I get the video downloaded, they circled the nest like crazy. Water is really clear now. Was rather dull out when I arrived but the sun shone towards the end. All in all our O family seem very very happy. One skimmed the water to wash its feet. Only a few weeks left to enjoy........

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 01:26 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 01:28 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, August 27 2013 @ 01:29 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:51 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate