https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Carolina Raptor Ctr NC 2013 - Bald Eagle Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 11:56 AM EST  
JudyB

I just checked Savannah Eagle's facebook page and nothing is posted there. :dunno:

Added -
That could be the top of her head in the far left of the picture you posted at 9:36, eaglet:

And she should be fine if she took a tumble, but they would probably want to give her a checkup, just in case. Hopefully there will be something posted somewhere soon.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: mia (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 11:58 AM EST  
mia

So did I. All I noticed was a bunch of worried people. :ds: Wish they could tell us what´s going on.... Puzzled

Added: I was trying again to find an update from the FB page, everybody seems so concerned. I´m getting more worried too. Sad

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

By: mia (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 12:50 PM EST  
mia

S or D on the background (near the sign)?
Click on image to download.
Click on image to download

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

By: mia (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 01:46 PM EST  
mia

Savannah Eagle:
I am sad to report that the eaglet was killed by a predator overnight. More information to come.

:cry1:

Forum

Helsinki, Finland

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 01:50 PM EST  
JudyB

Thanks for bringing the post here, mia.
:cry1:

Hugs to all who have been following this eagle family.
hug

Rest in peace, little one, and fly free forever.
sad

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 01:54 PM EST  
eaglet999

OMG, I can't believe this happened.

Sad

hug to those who followed.

RIP Little Chubette. Red Heart

Forum

Profile     PM

By: eaglet999 (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 01:55 PM EST  
eaglet999

From WCNC:

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/27-day-o ... 20831.html

HUNTERSVILLE, N.C. -- Early Thursday morning, staff members of Carolina Raptor Center entered the eagle aviary and found the remains of the eaglet hatched on February 9.
It appears that the almost four-week-old chick was attacked overnight by an unknown predator.

Enhanced predator protection is in place at the eagle aviary, and there were no obvious breaches in the enclosure, providing little evidence as to the identity of the predator. There are numerous carnivorous predators that are naturally found in Latta Plantation Nature Preserve.

“We are particularly saddened by the death of the eaglet in this way, because we put forth tremendous effort to protect our birds,” said Executive Director Jim Warren. “The predator protection includes chain link fencing that is dug into the ground to prevent predators from digging under barricades.”

Savannah and Derek have produced chicks since 2006, and this is the first predator attack in the eagle aviary since the aviary was opened. There is no evidence that any of the resident bald eagles were involved or injured in the incident.

It is common practice at Carolina Raptor Center to investigate all predator attacks and aviary breaches. The center has informed the appropriate officials at US Fish and Wildlife. Center leadership will provide additional information to the Carolina Raptor Center community of staff, volunteers and friends as it becomes available.

Carolina Raptor Center extends sympathies to the thousands of EagleCam watchers and supporters who mourn the death of the eaglet.
The EagleCam is the one of the most popular features on WCNC.com, with thousands of people tuning in every day to watch Savannah, Derek and their family.

We at NBC Charlotte are deeply saddened to learn of the eaglet's death, and we would like to join the Carolina Raptor Center in extending our sympathies to each of you who love and adore Derek and Savannah the way we do.

Forum

Profile     PM

By: Lonette (offline) on Thursday, March 07 2013 @ 02:00 PM EST  
Lonette

Oh my, I am so very sorry to all of Savannah and Derek's life followers and the Aunties of the little one. hug

“Our power of perseverance is as that of an eagle. We soar above our challengers.” Ellen J. Barrier

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:26 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate