The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - DeltaOWL Camera Archives
 Delta OWL Eagle Nest Discussion/Obs/Pics/Videos
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: syrinx () on Sunday, May 22 2011 @ 12:19 PM EDT  
Anonymous: syrinx

Quote by: JudyB

I have not heard any update on the egg, other than what syrinx reported earlier. Now that things are hopefully calming down at Sidney, perhaps David will be able to provide more information.

Karen would probably know more about this but I think David is a little preoccupied with his newly acquired cranes unless there is an emergency, but I too would like to see him post something to back what he said to us as I feel a little silly 'sitting out on this limb' as I am not a bird. very embarrassed

By: Anonymous: syrinx () on Sunday, May 22 2011 @ 12:31 PM EDT  
Anonymous: syrinx

Quote by: pudzzy1

eagles are monogamous; a pair will mate for life if all is well. A partnership may be broken if one of the birds is infertile, and a widow or widower will take a new partner.
Some reasons for infertile eggs
Reproductive failure is a problem for bald eagles and ospreys. Much of the problem stems from man's use of now-banned toxic chemicals. DDT, dieldrin, and other chlorinated hydrocarbons sprayed to kill insects, drain into rivers and get into fish. Eagles and ospreys eat a lot of fish, and accumulate the chemicals in their bodies. Other pollutants such as PCBs and heavy metals may also affect their reproduction.
infertile eagle eggs have been found to have a higher mercury content .
;Inadequate dietary calcium, sodium and energy can interfere directly with egg laying and fertility.
Over-supplementation of zinc can cause infertility.
;Age and experience of birds

;

So these reasons are very different than my childhood experience with the Canada Geese where an actual disease was being vaccinated against in the eggs themselves. How interesting.

When I first saw the eggs didn't seem to be viable I was wondering if it was the way in which this female laid the eggs to start with as she laid them on the edge of the nest and then pushed them in. With the second one it was near freezing temperatures. She was getting pounded with hail when I took the scap that I shared with the group of the egg on the outside of the bowl. Could she be exposing the eggs to too much cold?

By: sandra gee (offline) on Sunday, May 22 2011 @ 05:37 PM EDT  
sandra gee

Hmmm Chin I was coming in here to see if anything was posted about the egg failure, looks like we're all thinking the same thing. Hopefully now that things have calmed down hopefully David will remember that we would like to know.

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Sunday, May 22 2011 @ 05:49 PM EDT  
stim

I remember last fall Ma returned way before Pa did, so much so I wondered if we might find her with a new mate this year. That we likely will never know unless someone knows Pa well enough to ID the one that was here this season. The size and long slim neck certainly looked like him to me.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Windy60 () on Sunday, May 22 2011 @ 11:41 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Windy60

New here and I am curious about this pair. I noticed their long necks and long head feathers several months ago when I saw them.

I am wondering if they seen larger than others for the area and darker in color?
Almost black in fact.

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, May 23 2011 @ 08:07 AM EDT  
jkr

Welcome to HWF Windy60
Mom and Dad DeltaOWL are pretty much regular size eagles but Dad is quite a small male.
Sometimes the camera angle at a nest can make things appear a bit out of proportion.

The overhead camera we have on the nest is infrared so it never actually shows the true colors which is why their feathers appeared so black. Hope that helps.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Windy60 () on Monday, May 23 2011 @ 10:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Windy60

Thanks jkr, I hadn't thought about the infrared changing the colors. I was beginning to think the eagles colors were mutating. That could possibly affect fertility and size.

The size difference between the male/female could also be a deciding factor on fertility of the eggs.
I breed Coturnix quail color mutations as a hobby. I often have to change out a male that is to small to a larger one.

If that is the case then look to a different pairing at some point. Or not.

I also know that testing can take 4-6 weeks depending on the tests and where the egg was sent. So patience may be needed for answers to the egg question. I'll hang around.

By: sandra gee (offline) on Monday, May 23 2011 @ 10:41 AM EDT  
sandra gee

Hi Windy and WELCOME FROM ME TOO!
I agree with jkr, Dad DeltaOWL is a small male and most times it's quite easy to know when he's home on the nest. He has the most petite head (sorry Dad Wink ) of any of the eagles we've seen on any of the nests.

7:35AM
Looks like a wet morning her today, the wind doesn't look too bad, but it is breezy.
No Mom and Pop.

7:39am
Oh....just heard a call from 'out there'.

not 8:13am
I've had the cam up and have heard a few more calls from 'out there', but as there are a lot of eagles in this area have now way of knowing if it's Mom and Pop DeltaOWL.
The breeze has picked up a bit, still dull and gray.

Out

Sandra, Nanaimo BC
Member since Spring, 2006
"Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"
Song for Sean, John Lennon

Forum

Nanaimo, B.C. Canada

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 01:23 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate