https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - DeltaOWL Camera Archives
 Delta OWL Eagle Nest Discussion/Obs/Pics/Videos
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Birdsie () on Friday, May 06 2011 @ 01:11 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Birdsie

Thank You Thank you so much Darlene for the video--a very interesting process to watch.
I'm glad to know the egglet is safe now and in good hands.
I hope next year is a better year for these special eagles. Red Heart

By: nightowl (offline) on Friday, May 06 2011 @ 04:26 AM EDT  
nightowl

FRIDAY, MAY 6, 2011

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, May 06 2011 @ 07:36 AM EDT  
JudyB

Good morning, everyone.

Thank you, nightowl, for adding the date to the thread each morning, and thank you, jkr, for the daily weather forecast. They have been a wonderful addition to the thread - making it easy to find the posts from a given day, and letting us know what the temperature in the area might be. I'm guessing that there won't be a lot of activity to report for the next few months, so it probably doesn't make sense to continue to post them every day unless there's an upswing in activity.

David Hancock has written a preliminary article about the failure of the Delta O.W.L. nest - it's on the Delta O.W.L. page on the website and also on the Home Page (which has a lot of other interesting articles if you scroll down farther).

I had an email from Karen, and she said that one of the adults was flying overhead while they retrieved the egg. David says in the article that the egg was not pipped, so I guess it was a spot of dirt that we saw.

Karen said they tried to shout to us while they were at the nest. I did hear a man's voice once, but the wind noise in the microphone was loud enough that I couldn't make out the words, and figured it was just a comment to the man in the tree so didn't mention it.

David and Karen will be taking the egg to be tested later today - no idea how long that will take. It will be interesting to see what they find.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Pat B (offline) on Friday, May 06 2011 @ 09:03 AM EDT  
Pat B

Hancock here -- here is the photo of Jason Stoppa who donated his time to retrieving our Delta OWL egg for submission to the lab for analysis. We got the authority of the Ministry of Environment to enter the nest in order to learn something about this egg.
This pair has had a poor history of reproduction. This is the third year of failure and we hope the analysis will shed some life on the reason the egg did not hatch or going back --- will this give some indication of why for three years this pair has failed to raise young.

Now we wait some analysis.

Again, thanks to Jason Stoppa, who had earlier volunteered his support to help our eagles -- and fresh out of another tree he came without hesitation to assist in collecting this egg.

David Hancock

Jason Stoppa - Arborist, White Rock

Click for a bigger version

Forum

Plymouth, England

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Friday, May 06 2011 @ 09:31 AM EDT  
jkr

I see I missed all the action but thank you Bev Day for calling me at work to let me know that David got the permit and was on site to have the egg removed. Unfortunately when I ran to a computer to check things out I couldn't get the camera to come up so I am very grateful to you Darlene for catching it on video. Thank You

I really do hope that analyzing the egg will give us an idea of why Mom and Dad are having such a difficult time raising any young. I don't think we'll hear anything for quite a few days yet. So now we wait ...............................

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: cockatiel (offline) on Friday, May 06 2011 @ 10:00 AM EDT  
cockatiel

Thanks Darlene for the video. My heart sank when I saw the egg gone. Then I logged in here and found out the wonderful news. I left the forums not too long before all of the decisions and actual retrieval happened. Sad

A "huge thank you" to everyone who made a plea and later really pushed hard to get the egg before something else happened to it.

A "thank you" to Jason Stoppa for retrieving the egg. Without him they wouldn't have the egglet. It looks so much bigger in his hand than on the nest.

Thanks again. Red Heart

Candy

Life Is What Happens While You're Busy Making Other Plans

CANDACE DIED IN OCT. 2016. SHE WAS A FAITHFUL DONOR AND SUPPORTED OF OUR EAGLE CAMS. ALTHOUGH SHE RARELY POSTED IN THE CAM THREADS, SHE WAS WELL KNOWN IN THE EAGLEHOLICS ANONYMOUS THREAD. SHE WILL BE MISSED.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Friday, May 06 2011 @ 09:49 PM EDT  
Darlene

Thank you Jason Stoppa for being our hero and retrieving the egg. As I was with David and Karen today, I got a chance to see the egg. I wanted to kiss it good-bye but figured that might be a little unsanitaryWub

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, May 07 2011 @ 03:35 AM EDT  
nightowl

SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2011

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:40 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate