You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - DeltaOWL Camera Archives
 Delta OWL Eagle Nest Discussion/Obs/Pics/Videos
 |  Printable Version
By: stim (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 02:58 PM EDT  
stim

Hi Judy B
I had thought initially it was Faithful as well at 9:28/29 then decided I was wrong as he hasn't been around much if at all. I sure hope it was he and Faith got a break. The neck did seem nice and slim.

11:57 and egg is still alone. Sad

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 03:58 PM EDT  
stim

12:56 adult finally returns and settles onto the egg.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 04:00 PM EDT  
JudyB

12:47 pm
I haven't been watching every minute so might have missed a brief visit, but it's been two hours since I've seen anyone on the nest.

Thanks for asking the question, beans. I know I was thinking of the egg here as I was watching the hatch at Hornby yesterday. For those who don't follow that nest, the chick made a nice big pip hole, and then nothing happened for over 36 hours. Every time the adults got up we could here nice strong peeps from the Hornby egg - but didn't see the usual crack progressing around the egg as the chick pecked away at the shell. Fortunately the chick somehow managed to break its head out through the top of the shell, and an hour or so later, the rest of the shell broke away and the chick was fully hatched - and is doing fine!

The expert from the Hornby forum thought the chick might have been stuck in the egg so she couldn't reach anywhere else to peck - perhaps because there was too little moisture in the egg to keep things moving smoothly. (That's not quite a scientific explanation - it's my interpretation.) I think a chick could also get stuck if the egg wasn't turned enough - though I don't know how much turning or how often is required. It looked as if Ma Hornby was doing a lot of rolling and wiggling on the eggs - no clue if that helped the chick break out. And no clue if the experience of the Hornby eagles, who are most likely an older pair, provided an advantage that the pair here didn't have. There is a second egg at Hornby which is due to hatch soon - and I am hoping it will have a more normal hatch.

12:57 pm
Adult just arrived - Mom Faith?

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: pudzzy1 () on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 04:04 PM EDT  
Anonymous: pudzzy1

Quote by: beans

Thanks for your update. I'm watching, too.

By the way, I posted this question in the O.W.L. thread: CLICK HERE

I can pose the same question to our avian vet at Lindsay, but I would like to get O.W.L.'s input.

Im wondering the same question .After these 2 finally leave is David or someone going to try to get that egg to test it .

Has anyone asked Owl or someone who would know & could climb that tree after they are gone .The tree in Virginia was climbed with 3 live babys so getting one egg shouldnt be that hard I would hate to see another year go by & no one find out what is wrong
The one egg left may still have a fetus in it

We would have some unhappy watches of this nest if none tried

By: gd (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 04:05 PM EDT  
gd

1:03 Faith
Click on image to download

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: stim (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 04:13 PM EDT  
stim

1:12 Parent is still on our egg. I'm out.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 04:30 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: pudzzy1

After these 2 finally leave is David or someone going to try to get that egg to test it .

Has anyone asked Owl or someone who would know & could climb that tree after they are gone .The tree in Virginia was climbed with 3 live babys so getting one egg shouldnt be that hard I would hate to see another year go by & no one find out what is wrong
The one egg left may still have a fetus in it

We would have some unhappy watches of this nest if none tried

I think this is one of those complicated questions, pudzzy. We would all love to know what happened, and if there's anything we can do to make it more likely that they'll succeed next year. But I know that one has to get permits to interfere with nesting eagles - and I'm not sure this would be considered an urgent enough need to disrupt the eagles. Some eagles will move to a different nest if their nest is disturbed - I think the Norfolk pair have nested in several locations at the Botanical Gardens, though there's no way of knowing if having people enter their nest to band the eaglets was a factor in their decision to change to another nest. I'm guessing that the folks at OWL and David Hancock would think long and hard before trying to do something that might keep the pair from using this nest next year. We all would like to know if there's anything that could be learned from the remaining egg - and if it is still there when David Hancock pays his annual visit to the nest, I'd expect him to retrieve it.

But speaking just for myself, as much as I'd like to know if there is anything that we could help remedy - perhaps by changing the nest design in some way to make it easier to roll the eggs or something - it's more important to me that Faith and Faithful not be disturbed until they're ready to leave later this summer. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, April 29 2011 @ 05:11 PM EDT  
JudyB

2:00 pm
Adult (Mom?) is still on the nest.

I'm out for a couple of hours.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:39 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate