The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Eagle Cams Outside North America
 White Tailed Eagle Cam--Poland 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: mmud (offline) on Thursday, May 24 2012 @ 05:06 AM EDT  
mmud

I checked the cam just before going to bed and caught the end of a feeding session. The youngest was getting all the food as the older eaglet watched.
Eventually s/he moved in closer and the adult fed both. I still haven't witnessed any sibling rivalry between these two.
They both seem to be very well mannered eaglets. Smile

10:55 - 11:05 am camera time.

Click on image to download

Both eaglets flaked out after the meal.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: mmud (offline) on Friday, May 25 2012 @ 04:27 AM EDT  
mmud

10:25 am camera time. Both eaglets napping. One in the adult's shade and the other on the nest rim.

10:33 am The oldest eaglet stands up and food is delivered shortly after.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: mmud (offline) on Friday, May 25 2012 @ 04:41 AM EDT  
mmud

I don't know what it was but no one seems very interested in eating. The young one stood up and had a look, then lay back down again.
The adult originally on the nest called out then flew off shortly after the food was delivered.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, May 25 2012 @ 10:37 PM EDT  
JudyB

Hi Mary, Scott and friends :hello:

Alex from Poland sent us the following email with additional information about the eagles. I've invited him to join the forum - and will be happy to send him any questions that might arise.

Dear Members,
I found on your blog puzzled comments on the Polish white tailed eagle camera. As the site is in Polish, I hasten to provide as much explanations as I know. Disclaimer: I am astrophysicist and not a biologist, just report what I know. The project is join effort of Committee for Protection of Eagles, (KOO in Polish) headed by Dr. Tadeusz Mizera of Poznan and Polish State Forests. Transmission is sponsored by Orange telecom Co.

The nest is in an undisclosed site (for protection) near town Kutno, central Poland. Although eagles are strictly protected in Poland, they often come in conflict with fish farmers: the previous female from the camera nest was found shot only year ago.

However, in general WTE are a success story in Poland: in early 50's only 20 pair were known to nest (source: Sokolowski), sparsly along the Baltic coast and eastern border areas featuring large lakes and large, partly natural forests. Now, according KOO over 1000 pairs breed. In Lodz province (where Kutno belongs to) first nest was recorded 1985. The introduced policies involve 200m exclusion zone around nests, where no forestry works are carried during nesting. Immediate vicinity of nest is left unchanged. On the other hand illegal poaching and relatively lenient fines still threaten this species.

Last year KOO has selected 3 nests and put cameras. WTE normally have more than 1 nest in their range and switch between them every year (perhaps for parasite protection). They were lucky: 2 of 3 selected nests are occupied. The current nest was selected as camera was located on the same tree (120y old 30m tall pine tree) providing close-up view. 1km fibre link was laid to a nearby forestry hut. The transmission started on 10th April. Eggs were laid past March 23. On April 21 heavy storm dislodged the camera down, so current view is non-optimal. Camera has IR illumination so you may enjoy night views. Around 25th the nest was left empty whole night, apparently without harm to eggs. It was not possible to verify, whether was guarded by eagle from nearby. 2 eaglets hatched on April 28th and May 1st (approx.-judging from the behaviour, nest bottom is invisible). Female takes care of nest mostly daytime, the male does mostly night duty. The site is in a small (several ha) old forest within heavily farmed area. There are small rivers and foremost, several fish farms within 10 km range.

Food normally are mostly fish (often dead) or less often waterfowl (coots ducks etc). Carrion is eaten eagerly, particularly in winter. Small mammals are rarely caught by WTE. In central Europe WTE are residential, though young travel long distances before settling down. WTE are territorial only within immediate vicinity of their nest. On feeding areas several birds could be spotted together.

Hope it helps. The face-book blog attached to the web page is also in Polish, but contains mostly emotional chatter. Though, interesting scenes from the nest are posted there. By the way, an action on winter frozen Vistula river in Poland may interest your members, too: http://www.wykop.pl/link/1060591/atak-b ... -wegorzem/

Do not hesitate to ask more,
Cheers
Alex

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: mmud (offline) on Friday, May 25 2012 @ 11:47 PM EDT  
mmud

Thank you for posting Alex's information Judy. It's nice to have a better understanding of the area the nest is in and also a little background on the eagles.
Great video. It looked like the otter was trying to figure what the heck happened to it's eel! Titter
5:45 am Saturday cam time. Both eaglets resting, but up for a quick stretch 30 seconds later.

8:49 am The adult was eating when I checked the camera and one eaglet eventually went over for a few bites.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: mmud (offline) on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 02:52 AM EDT  
mmud

2 minutes later the other eaglet joined in for some food.

Forum

Chilliwack, B.C.

Profile Email Website PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 03:16 AM EDT  
MaryF

JudyB...It was so nice of Alex to write and fill us in a little more on this cam project! I hope that he does join the forum as I would certainly be intrested in hearing his comments about the nest here.on our little thread! I did find a little of that info but most of it was new!! Good stuff!!! It was horrible to read about the former Mom being shot!! Sad

Scott--looks like we were watching the same feeding again-- Green LOL

By the way---the older eaglet was 4 weeks old yesterday and the younger one is 4 days behind that.

8:45AM nest time---There is a feeding going on and the older chick is getting all or most of the food---so it goes sometimes in WTE nests.

Could we have more, please?

Older one gazing up at the parent.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: MaryF (offline) on Saturday, May 26 2012 @ 03:21 AM EDT  
MaryF

The parent is eating now

Meal is over for everybody

The older chick is in her favorite spot--hanging over the edge of the nest.

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:17 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate