Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, October 26 2015 @ 09:12 AM EDT  
ostrich

On Saturday I had an unexpected surprise to see a juvenile Coopers roosting in the park - however this bird I think would not be one of the territory fledglings, they are long gone. Almost certainly this one was a passing migrant that was coming through and stopped, with the rainy conditions that we had it may have decided to pause. We are still in the midst of the fall raptor migration and there are still a fair number of accipiters coming through.

Oct 31 - an adult Coopers roosting in the bare tree at the N side of the park at ~11am.
Nov 11 - an adult Coopers roosting in a tree just to the NE of the park at noon.
Nov 21 - I was slightly surprised to see an adult Coopers roosting up on the church which is about a block north of where the park is, I sometimes see red-tailed perched there, but I don't remember seeing Coopers there very often.
Nov 25 - an adult was roosting in a tree just slightly N and E of the park at ~1pm. This is a tree I've seen them in on a couple of other occasions
Dec 13 - one adult (this one looked female to me) was roosting in a tree in a backyard of a house just off the NE of the park, very close to the aforementioned tree location. It could well have been hunting the backyards, some of which have feeders.
Dec 22 - one adult again roosting up on the church a block N of the park
Jan 8 - one adult roosting on the church N of the park.
Jan 21 - one adult gliding over backyards just across from the SW corner of the park just after noon.
Jan 22 - an adult roosting on top of the church N of the park at about 9am

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, February 17 2016 @ 10:54 PM EST  
ostrich

Yesterday I successfully spotted both adults near the very SE corner of the park early in the morning (around 7am), so it appears both adults are back on territory. Over the preceding week I'd managed to get up early enough to find the male briefly in the park and vocalizing, but hadn't managed to spot or definitively hear a response. The male was in one of the trees at the corner of the part, but the female was in a large tree directly across the street from the park side. They were definitely exchanging vocalizations, but the male kept seeming to want to stick to the park side but the female wasn't budging. I didn't see any sticks flown anywhere or any other activity, so it's not clear what they're doing yet.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, February 24 2016 @ 09:19 AM EST  
ostrich

I'm managing to get out early enough (generally has to be before 7am) whenever I can to try to catch any further signs of developing courtship activity

- Feb 20, at around 7am one adult (I think female) was in a tree a couple of trees over from last year's nest tree, the male was also nearby and was exchanging vocalizations. He did fly up into the nest bowl for a few seconds and then left again, but it was too dark to tell if he was carrying a stick or anything else up to the bowl. After a couple of minutes he flew down into the trees in the SE corner of the park and started making announcement vocalizations again and she did fly down there as well. But I didn't see any other interactions and they seemed to leave shortly after.

- Feb 23, shortly before 7am I did find the male roosting in the lower branches of the nest tree and making announcement calls, but I didn't see or hear the female around this time.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Monday, March 14 2016 @ 09:11 PM EDT  
ostrich

Mar 10 - I was able to get out early enough to catch the first activity at 6:20am, both adults showed up in close succession, and I did see some definite stick activity this time, along with exchanges of vocalizations. Interestingly this time I didn't see any activity close to last year's nest, they were working in a couple of different spots in the willow trees along the south edge. The female I believe did a couple of runs to pull off sticks from trees in the NW corner of the park and then flew them back.

They've done this a couple of times in previous years without ending up using that area for a nest though, so it may not end up being used. The willow trees are by far probably the biggest most solid branches to build on, especially now that many of the larger ash trees are gone, but the drawbacks for them are the best spots to lay a bowl in are relatively lower than they're used to, and there's a lot of loud human activity around there.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Tuesday, March 22 2016 @ 10:53 PM EDT  
ostrich

Mar 19 - I got out at 7am and saw the female down in the SE corner trees, there was a delivery of prey to her by the male a few minutes after that which is certainly a good courtship sign, I didn't see any nest work before they left.

Mar 20 - Both adults were roosting in the S area of the park at 7:30am, with some vocalizing by both before the male vanished somewhere when I wasn't looking.

This morning I went out a bit later around 10:00am and they were still in the park, so the activity is definitely seeming to ramp up, this is the latest I've seen them around past that normal early pre-dawn activity. Both were in the willow trees again in the S border of the park, and were again flying sticks up into one of the possible nest spots I'd seen before. They seem to be paying more attention to these S trees than I've ever seen in previous years, although they have worked a bit in those trees in the past without using them.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, March 30 2016 @ 09:33 PM EDT  
ostrich

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Thursday, April 14 2016 @ 09:53 PM EDT  
ostrich

The activity is continuing to ramp up, today early in the morning both adults were around the park, both near the new nest site and occasionally flying around to different perches, especially towards the opposite NW corner. The female was sticking mostly to the nest area, but she did fly to the other end and grabbed another stick and flew it back to the willow trees.

I also passed by the park in the early evening around 6:30pm, and I just happened to catch the male flying back into the park. When I walked in the female was vocalizing from a tree close to the entrance, and she had some prey, which I'm sure the male dropped off. Shortly after that he came flying in from another tree and copulated, so they are seemingly right on a similar schedule to last year.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, April 17 2016 @ 02:51 PM EDT  
ostrich

Yesterday and the day before I was able to catch both adults on the west side of the park late in the day, both times with some food arriving from the male. That should mean no egg laying yet since the female wasn't around the nest, but I did get some footage yesterday of the activity. It was a bit odd since the female for a long time didn't seem all that interested in the food and after reviewing the footage I don't think she ate all of it. Unfortunately this time, unlike on Friday, I didn't see any mating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjjIJ9ruV4c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCUUo7EljRQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GG_wM4tG2bo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klCA03hClbY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCLOdkLFFDk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kc2cPjqhbs

It looks like the prey may have been rodent, not bird.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:09 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate