The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Raptors Other than Eagles > Other Raptors -- Questions, Information and General Discussion
 Coopers Hawk (accipiter cooperri)
 |  Printable Version
By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, July 15 2015 @ 08:44 PM EDT  
ostrich

Yesterday I got a decent look at the other hawklet for comparison purposes and I think that one (she?) is definitely larger than the smaller male. I'm leaning toward female for the second one but I'm not positive - my impression from what I can see is it might be in that middle ground between small female/large male. If I can get a good comparison with the adult female it might be easier to judge.

This morning I saw one of the hawklets farther away from the nest than I've seen so far (and being screamed at by passerines), roosting in a bare tree about 50 paces down from the nest tree.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Sunday, July 19 2015 @ 01:09 PM EDT  
ostrich

On Friday I went out to the park and while I was still quite a ways away from the nest area just caught one of the adults flying out from the nest tree to perch over on the park edge, and the hawklets were both making a lot of noise which usually means food. There must have been a race to get and keep whatever the adult dropped because I could see movement of wings through the tree branches along with all the calling and I finally spotted one hawklet with the food a couple of trees over from the nest tree. The other was nearby in the same tree and roosting. That's the first time so far I've seen one of them eating off the nest tree, although it was on a sloped branch so the hawklet was working pretty hard to keep a good grasp on the food and eat.

This hawklet is very probably female.

This one is the likely male

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, July 24 2015 @ 10:13 PM EDT  
ostrich

Over the past several days I've continued to get good views of both juveniles, although it can be hard to find them often in the trees, even when they are vocalizing. A couple of times I've gotten really lucky and gotten one of them in a very low tree branch. For the most part they're still spending time in the trees immediately surrounding the nest tree, but now that they seem to be taking food deliveries on other branches I think they've abandoned using the nest itself completely. I've also heard from some folks who live along the park that they've had the juveniles in their yard, and had seen both trying to harass a squirrel in one of their trees.

I spent a good 15-20min in locating both of them in the oak tree immediately beside the nest tree, an adult showed up and started them vocalizing, but even then it took a while to figure out where they were. The adult flew out and went to the high north perch before leaving shortly thereafter.

I managed to get some footage of both the male and female.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MuKJU5sYlU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNo7QF5y-p8

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Tuesday, July 28 2015 @ 11:05 PM EDT  
ostrich

This evening after waiting out near the nest tree area for about 45min I finally spotted one of the juveniles (the female) suddenly rising up from down low into a branch of the tree adjacent to the nest tree. I was hoping to get some shots of her, but she kept moving from branch to branch so often I wasn't able to. She also looked like she might strike at two squirrels who were chasing each other in the adjacent tree - I think the movement caught her attention and she started to fly right at them, but then stopped before getting all the way there and flew back. After a while she ended up flying out of the tree and flap/gliding along the edge of the park and swooped into the bushes bordering a yard close to the SE corner. So that's the furthest I've seen either of them flying so far.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Wednesday, July 29 2015 @ 11:37 PM EDT  
ostrich

There was a surprise visitor in the park at around noon today - a merlin:

Neither of the adult Coopers were around and if the fledglings noticed the merlin they didn't show themselves. When I came back later after about 40min the merlin was gone and there was an adult Coopers back in the tree, but I don't know if it was chased off or left on its own in the meantime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1a9hEKiDlE

In the evening I caught the female fledgling again moving around a bit in the branches - she is still somewhat awkward moving around on the branches but is getting steadier in flight. It didn't take her long before she went off through one of the backyards and disappeared. I'm starting to get an impression though that this year's fledglings are a bit more skittish and more shy than the ones in previous years have been. They seem to stay hidden a lot more and don't perch out in the open. I think I saw the male as well, but if it was him he disappeared into one of the trees and I didn't find him after that.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, July 31 2015 @ 07:47 PM EDT  
ostrich

Yesterday evening I saw a wonderful strong flight by both juveniles out of nowhere into a tree near the nest, and both were roosting right beside each other, which I haven't seen very much to this point. One of the juveniles was definitely looking significantly more coordinated as well, as it was shuffling up and down two snapped off branches about a foot apart, moving up one and then hopping over and down the other.

This morning early I caught both sitting right next to each other on the fence along the NE corner of the park, again unusual to this point to see them roosting so close together. Shortly thereafter one made a couple of aggressive strong strafing flights against a squirrel which was at the base of one of the trees about 30ft away, although it didn't strike and the squirrel didn't react much after moving to avoid the strike, it kept rummaging around near the base of the tree. However their flight and coordination look like they've made a significant leap in just the last day or two.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Tuesday, August 04 2015 @ 09:53 AM EDT  
ostrich

There are further milestones in develop coming regularly now - yesterday I spotted the male near the nest tree making some vocalizations early in the day, some time after that I heard some strong vocalizations followed by one of the juveniles making a beautiful rapid flight from the NE corner all the way across the park through the foliage down in the NW area (near where the old nest was). Their flight is definitely looking like a classic Coopers hawk flight more and more now - rapid flaps followed by strong zooming glides and agile movement through the trees. Yesterday also represents the first time I have seen either that far down in the NW corner of the park (about 100m away from the nest area). I thought given the vocalizations there might have been either a food delivery or some chase or interaction between them because of food, but I found one (I believe the female) in the NW area without food.

Later in the afternoon I found at least one of the juveniles down in that NW area again, so they're definitely starting to range further more regularly.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

By: ostrich (offline) on Friday, August 07 2015 @ 10:20 PM EDT  
ostrich

Yesterday afternoon I spotted one of the juveniles come flying from behind from the north direction somewhere can zoomed right overhead and banked right around the bushes in the middle of the park. It ended up in the trees at the west central edge of the park, when it flushed it disappeared towards the north - I suspect they're both spending at least some of their time now at least a bit outside the borders of the park and are wandering further into the backyards.

Early this evening there was even more activity among both of the youngsters - for the first time thus far this year I heard an alarmed robin calling in the willow trees down in the SE area of the park, and before I could find a hawk one of the youngsters burst out of the willows and flew with a lot of vocalizing towards the trees along the north edge - there was a rapid sequence of the other juvenile coming into the same tree and then a sequence of chases from one branch to another along the line of trees on the north edge. Both were really vocalizing so I thought perhaps there might have been an adult in there somewhere possibly with food, that's usually what will get them that excited, but neither looked to have any. Shortly thereafter they both ended up in the nest tree and were continuing to flush each other back and forth to different branches - they might have just been play chasing, certainly their flight is looking stronger and stronger all the time.

Forum Admin
Admin

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:53 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate