Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 20 2012 @ 01:32 PM EDT  
BET

Christine and Lilywriter.

I just finished reviewing my recording I made while I was doing morning breakfast etc.

I do not have the time that this occurred, but maybe this is what your sharp eyes spotted this morning at around 8:30am

There are actually 3 birds involved. Your fingers would have had to reacted to your mind within 3 seconds to do a screen cap as that is the amount of time from the first appearance until off cam view. The first two in the chase, I didn't have a clean wing image, so I won't declare them as O's. But I do not think they are geese. The third bird giving chase is definitely an O

Click on image to download

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM EDT  
BET

1:30pm

It is so nice to see both of our O's just standing on the nest watching their world go by

Dad has been super busy hauling in new sticks. The one's that he is bringing in are a lot bigger than the ones Mom brought. He has made a lot of progress in covering the screen base of the nest box in the last 24 hours.

A good thing too. If my memory serves correctly, an egg can be delivered 3 to 8 days following a successful fertilization. The first witnessed mating was the 19th, so that means Sunday the 22nd is a possibility. There have been numerous matings since then. Osprey seem to mate quite frequently. - not just once or twice a day Green LOL Judy witness their affair this am. Another just occurred at 1:27pm

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Friday, April 20 2012 @ 07:53 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Hi BET,

Thank you for posting the pictures. I don't think they are what we witnessed. The dad was flying in with a stick and just started to land when something when by and he took after it. We could then see him fly down. He returned shortly after with the stick and then we saw a shadow.

It is now 5:50 pm Calgary time and about 3 minutes ago the dad O just brought mom a fish which she had a hard time pulling off his feet. She took the fish and flew off with it.

I am so appreciative of all the information and s'caps you provide. My mom also loves them Thank you!

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Friday, April 20 2012 @ 11:15 PM EDT  
BET

8:55pm

I was checking on the cam to see how the nest was coming along. Inbound was a new piece straight from the lumber mill. Big -to say the least.

That should make Mom happy. She is still trying to bridge the gap between the box and the pole. Losing a goodly number of sticks doing it. She seems to have gotten a couple to stay, but they don't look all that secure.

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, April 21 2012 @ 11:00 AM EDT  
jkr

Saturday April 21, 2012

WEATHER FOR CALGARY

High 16C
Sunny
Wind SW 10km/h

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, April 21 2012 @ 11:01 AM EDT  
jkr

8:57 a.m.
Nest construction continues again today except that it's Dad who's doing most of the work.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, April 21 2012 @ 01:05 PM EDT  
jkr

11:03 a.m.
I have had the camera on since 8:57 a.m. and there has been nothing significant happen other than the regular nest building and one mating which I missed getting a capture of.
The nest is empty at the moment as both O's have been gone for awhile now.

Out I am also out for awhile.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, April 21 2012 @ 01:24 PM EDT  
BET

Morning all

I have had the cam on since about 10:00am - as Judy has posted - Flying on the nest with sticks - flying off again - back again in about 10 minutes.

One at a time and with their backs to the cam - I really don't know who is who yet. One of them has a whitish rim on one of the feathers about 2/3rds the way down the back on the right side. Also appears to have a small square of white on the left side at the juncture of wing and body that shows when the wing is close tightly. Will help id when it's determined which one it is.

Here are some wing shots I captured -- both inbound and out bound. between 10:20am and 10:40am

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:24 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate