Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 12:40 PM EDT  
jkr

Even though the camera is going off-line for the season we will leave this thread open for awhile so that any activity captured by the "ground observers" can be posted here. I, and I'm sure others here, would like to know when the last of the ospreys leave the Calgary area.
So far the Zoo/Enmax nest osprey have been quite consistent on their arrival and departure dates. Now we know from the reports that others on the river have a different schedule. I find that very interesting because I thought that when chicks begin migration that other chicks would likely join the flock the way eagles do. Is it possible, because of their nature to capture live fish, they are more solitary during their migration ? :dunno:

It's another beautiful sunny day in Calgary.
Click on image to download

Added: CWRS has posted a YouTube video of their facility http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldsVtWmO ... ture=share

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Wednesday, September 26 2012 @ 08:04 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

In response to Other Calgary Nests Question:

These are the only other nests I am aware of but I have read somewhere that there were about 12 nests in Calgary??.

Platform/Nest (all same as Enmax Zoo but no Webcam) Memorial Drive between 10th & 14th Street NW beside Bow River
Platform/Nest Lafarge Plant Glenmore Trail on Deerfoot Trail SE beside Bow River
2 Nests built by Osprey on Construction Cranes (one moves) at Burnco Plant/ Between Southland Drive & Anderson Road on Deerfoot Trail SE beside Bow River
Platform/Nest Fish Creek Provincial Park, Glennfield, Beside Canyon Meadows Drive on Macleod Trail SE near Bow River
Platform/Nest on Highway 22x corner of Macleod Trail South beside Pond/Lake and near Bow River
so that would be 7 nests including the Enmax Zoo Platform

The last time I saw any Osprey on these nests was about a week ago, with the exception of yesterday at Highway 22x when Dad and one Juvie were there. This nest was empty on 2 occasions today. I will be over there this evening....

Christine and myself frequent the Highway 22x regularly and report on same, as it is in fairly close proximity to our homes.

Attention other Calgarians, please correct me on any of this or add too.
Thank you
Janet

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 11:38 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Well.....I felt like quite the stalker yesterday. Talk about 24 hour Surveillance. 2 trips there earlier in the day and nothing in nest or trees. Then my Partner drove by later and said the O were there.... So went back again 730pm Dad is in trees in bottom left hand corner, edge of trees, leafless branches. Juvie on Nest perch

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 11:43 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 12:08 PM EDT  
jkr

Janet those are beautiful pictures. That O was certainly keeping an eye on you !

I have a question about the (Kensington) Memorial Drive / 10th-14th St. nest. Is that the replacement nest that Enmax built after an osprey nest caused a fire on the hydro pole a few years ago ? If I recall correctly the nest was destroyed and a chick or two died in the fire --- but I may be confusing that information with another nest elsewhere.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 04:41 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Quote by: jkr

Janet those are beautiful pictures. That O was certainly keeping an eye on you !

I have a question about the (Kensington) Memorial Drive / 10th-14th St. nest. Is that the replacement nest that Enmax built after an osprey nest caused a fire on the hydro pole a few years ago ? If I recall correctly the nest was destroyed and a chick or two died in the fire --- but I may be confusing that information with another nest elsewhere.

Hi Judy,

The Kensington nest (Memorial Drive) was erected after a storm took down a series of poles, one of which the ospreys had used for years as a nesting sight. The poles were very old and the storm was not during nesting season.

People think that Enmax destroyed a nest with chicks in it and erected the Glennfield pole as a replacement for the pole the opsrey had nested on but that is not the case.

Lovely pictures, Janet.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 07:11 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Our nest this afternoon. As a reminder it has been posted to the Enmax fb page that the cam will be turned off on Friday. I don't know at what time it will happen.

If you are watching when they show up to clear the nest and there are activities that can be seen before the cam goes off we'd appreciate any s'caps or reports you can provide. Or mybe the cam will go off before they clean out the nest box??

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, September 27 2012 @ 08:32 PM EDT  
BET

Terry,

They don't clean the nest until spring time - clean the cam and run tests on it then too. At least that has been the custom in the past.

Janet ,

Gorgeous photos - thank you for sharing.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:10 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate