Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 17 2012 @ 10:48 PM EDT  
Jean

I have been checking the nest for the last few days just to see if it is still the same.......knowing that it would be. But tonight I have found so many angry comments from various people. I have to say I am quite shocked by this as my experience with all the posters here has been a very positive one. I think we can argue many points about what has happened with the osprey chick and how that was all handled. But I really think we should remember the most important thing about this site. We are all here for our love of these birds. We may not always agree on how things should be done but we all have the best interests of these birds in mind. The rehab centre is there to do their best to help. And in the past they have been very successful and should be thanked for their efforts. Rick I feel I should apologize for the rude, insensitive comments made towards you. Your help with these creatures is very much appreciated. It is all too easy for people to lose their social controls when in front of a computer screen and say things that they would not dare say to your face! The admins on this site are awesome and serve a valuable purpose. They are always gracious, tactful, informative and very patient. I am sure that the rehab centre has learned something from this experience too. This is not a perfect world but if we all try to keep moving forward rather than trying to place blame and criticism on others we will indeed achieve the only goal that really matters here............to learn about these birds so that we can make their lives better.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 04:53 AM EDT  
Bluebird1

Rick, I am sorry that I hurt your feelings with my post as I of course applauded with everyone when you rescued the osprey that was stranded on the 16th floor downtown balcony. You did what at least 99% of us would have if we were able to in taking it for a check-up at CWRS.

And I also realize that CWRS is filled with hard-working caring people like yourself and appreciate all that you and the Centre do for the animals that you rescue and care for. My post concerned ospreys only and this particular osprey because I know that they do not fare well in care. The fact that the bird came in without any outward sign of damage and you yourself stated that when it was checked out at the centre it seemed fine and they thought it was a female because it was a good weight but they were very excited to see an osprey as they don`t get very many and they were keeping it for observation overnight is why I am concerned and asking questions now. Obviously the prohibiton of asking questions is still in place, as the policy of your centre is not to share info., as you stated that ``CWRS isn`t some gov`t run nor funded organization, they don`t have to answer to anyone.``

Thank you for letting us know about the flight cage and the blood work and best wishes for many successful rescues ahead. My apologies to everyone on the forum for asking too many questions here, it obviously has upset many people. I let my frustration get the better of me this time as I feel very passionate about these birds and thought we might be able to do something for them in the future.

I thank the mods and all the wonderful people here for their talent and their patience and diplomacy. Thanks also to Enmax for putting up the nest sites, the last I heard there were 13 in Calgary, and also for their support of the cam. I will bow out now and let peace reign. sigh sign

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 06:10 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

J.D. said:

... I let my frustration get the better of me this time as I feel very passionate about these birds ...

We all understand and share your passion, and your frustration, J.D. hug

4:11pm the cam shows a dull afternoon with very few birds on the sandbar at the moment.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Rick W (offline) on Tuesday, September 18 2012 @ 10:11 PM EDT  
Rick W

Hello all,

First off, I'd like to thank everyone here that has contributed to this forum. It has been an interesting few months here for me. I am sorry that things got heated at times and that I may have lost my cool or gone over board. All in all I enjoyed the time I spent here, learned a few things about Ospreys, myself and the others who frequent this forum. I can understand how many people here start to feel a bit of entitlement and that they have a vested interest in the out come of these creatures. I think we can all see how each other sees thing once things have "cooled off" Hopefully all from the Enmax nest as well as surrounding nests have a "nice winter" in sunny and warm....South America, Mexico or where ever they end up and return healthy and ready to breed all over again. Enjoy your winter too, be it in -30 degrees or well above freezing, I wish I could fly hundreds of miles in a few days to escape the -30 that's bound to come too soon to Calgary.

Take care,

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Gerard () on Wednesday, September 19 2012 @ 07:58 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Gerard

I'll accept everything that is written,thanks JudyB for all the areas i needed to be fully informed about,as i have stated before i am not overly sensitive
at these times,i'm only here and care for the osprey.
Secondly! i believe if the rescue,which was clearly an open issue and brought to this forum,remained an open and honest discussion we would have
never arrived at this point,i'll be at Ayer's next year,
and if my harsh words hurt anyone,well then i'm a little bit sorry,amazing thou! when you open up a pot like my Mother would say,you never know what
you will stir up! An honest,open discussion,and i'll take whatever you feel about
me,on the chin! I promise my next post will be next year on
Ayers.

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 19 2012 @ 09:58 PM EDT  
BET

I had to share this image of the purple sunset on the river

Click on image to download

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Wednesday, September 19 2012 @ 10:14 PM EDT  
Jean

8;10pm...........Not nearly as beautiful as BET's post of the purple haze! I was just looking at that big stick across the nest and wondering how long it has been there? Probably longer than I remember! It just goes to show you that we see what is important to us............the osprey. Do you notice that most birds are gone now? Look at that empty sandbar. It is not only our lovely chicks that are missing.

Yup, I just went backwards a bit and saw that the stick has been there for a very long time............It's time to get my eyes checked. Titter

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Thursday, September 20 2012 @ 12:16 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Beautiful sunset shot at the Zoo nest BET
This pic was taken about the same time as you captured yours, but I was at the nest corner of Highway 22x and Macleod Trail South Calgary, a few miles south of the Zoo.
2 chicks on nest. Dad sat closeby in the trees not cooperating with the photoshoot like we planned.....
Also one of the chicks at 9am this morning, same place
Probably not appropriate to post these on the Zoo nest page, I can remove later

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:23 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate