The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: golden1 (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM EDT  
golden1

The ending of the season at the Calgary nest has been such an interesting story. We have seen mom take care of these 3 chicks abundantly. I like to think that the other adult osprey teamed up with mom to help out. Maybe we will see him next season. But after being concerned about the loss of dad this has been an awesome outcome. The chicks certainly learned about protecting their nest. The cams are allowing us to see things that otherwise we would not observe. BravoMom!!!

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 10:30 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

Red HeartAll i want to say is God Speed Mom and her chicks.. wishing you all a safe migration with food a plenty on your journey.. Mom Calgary you are one incredible OspreyWub... See your next season ....hopefully with a new mate..hug

One last comment.. I would like to thank all the regular posters here.... for welcoming those of us who came to help out when asked.... i enjoyed everyday i watched and posted here.. bedsides having the opportunity to learn so much ... i was blessed with meeting all of you and have made new friends .. so super hugs to all of you and a hugh Thank you to all .....we have a wonderful family here at HWF...Wub

I also have faith the chick in rehab will be fine... they are smart birds..... love

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 10:49 AM EDT  
golden1

Usually one chick or another has visited the nest by now...8:46. No sightings of any of this o family. Perhaps the whole family is off on their journey south.

Click on image to download

I too have enjoyed watching this osprey family. David Hancock I so love that we are able to more closely observe these families because you were willing to set up this forum and the many cams (thank you Enmax for this one) so that we could learn more and more about the daily activities of these very interesting creatures. Thank you so much.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 11:25 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

9:21am
Empty nest.. it is indeed bittersweet.. isn't it ?

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM EDT  
BET

A year like no other for this Osprey family appears to be at a close.
So many memorable events.

The first was Mom arriving 5 days before Dad. Dad had always been the first to arrive in prior years. She spent those days waiting for Dad by starting to recreate the nest by bringing sticks to the nest box. The night before Dad arrived, another male Osprey landed on the nest. Mom did not chase him off, but she did not welcome him. Her behavior seemed strange but I did not know it was not Dad until the next day when our resident Dad arrived. Osprey migration is a great puzzle to me. Mom leaves first. Travels to her destination where she winters without her mate. Dad leaves later and winters somewhere else. The return migration is again, without their established mate and arriving at different times. How does the first one that returns know that his/her mate will make the return journey successfully? How/when does he/she decide they must take a new mate? The start of next season will be very interesting to say the least.

The next major "out of the norm" event was the hatching. Instead of the every other day, all three hatched within 26/30 hours. (I can't find the page in the forum with the time details) Not only that, we were able to watch Mom literally open the second egg with her beak - hatching the chick.

Dad continued his delivery of Koi from his secret pond. Not unique to this year, but a "special" aspect of Calgary Dad.

The Disaster - no other way to describe the results of the horrendous Hail Storm of August 12. Calgary Dad O not surviving. Two days that Mom spent recovering from her bruises - two days the chicks recovering and not receiving any food. Mom gradually recovering and realizing she had to catch the fish to feed her trio. The Zoo - Kevin Strange, and Brian Keating stepping in and providing human assistance doing the physical search for Dad and perhaps dropping a few fish near the nest to help Mom. (Recall those teeny tiny penguin size minnows)

The visit of a juvie from another family.

Super Mom - stepping way outside the norm of Osprey female pattern, by catching the fish for her chicks - lots of fish and big ones. And then staying way past her migration time doing Dad's job to ensure the chicks were cared for until the time they responded to instinct and began their final journey into adult life and winter habitat.

There are undoubtedly more special events, but these are the ones that are first to come to my mind.

Safe Journey Calgary O's

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 01:13 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

BET, that post was absolutely beautiful! Thank you......Smile
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 01:20 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Good summary, BET, and an amazing year here on the nest. So glad everyone came on board to document Mom's heroic abilities. She looks very strong and being in her prime we can only hope that good fortune brings her safely back to us next year. With her nest in such a great location I don't think she will have any trouble attracting a new mate. Perhaps the bachelor that has been hanging around will make it back....:dunno:

I was very sad to have missed Mom's last long visit at the nest yesterday as busy with my grandchildren after school and through the supper hour. So glad you were here to time her visit, Terry. Was she as tranquil as she looked in your s'caps, everyone? All the time that she has spent on this nest and then to adapt to her chicks rushing her for the fish and forcing her to quickly leave at times, she made that adaption beyond anyone's expectations. She deserved that last peaceful visit to her nest. Wub Red Heart

Yes, I think that we all agree Mom does indeed deserve a medal! Bravo

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 12 2012 @ 01:49 PM EDT  
BET

11:32am

A fast fly by the nest as I was setting the recorder for while I am away today. Had to stop and see who/what

Black Bird

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate