Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 06:50 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

4:50pm mom has been on the nest for 35 minutes now.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 06:59 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

4:57pm a very quick fly-over above the nest. may have been a chick but way too fast for me to be sure...
not much reaction from mom.

5:01pm there is enough wind to shift some of the loose sticks on the 9oclock edge of the nest around a bit now and then.
Mom's chest feathers are being ruffled, too.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 07:12 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

5:11pm
This Mom is sure dedicated to her familylove.... she is still waiting and watching for her babies...
Click on image to download

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 07:12 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: luvtheO's

JudyB, Regarding the Milford, CT nest: Do you know where this nest is situated?

It's very puzzling to look at. When I look at it, it makes me think of a nest sitting inside a gigantic glass bowl.
What is all the glare/distortion around the outer part of the field of view?

I think the lens in the Milford cam is a fisheye - probably necessary because the cam is so close to the nest. Here's a link to some pictures taken at the site - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index ... 8#msg43388; there are a lot more pictures in that thread, but the ones I linked to provide an overview. The water is tidal, so sometimes you see a lot of marsh, and sometimes it's mostly underwater.

Getting back to this nest, the two older chicks are 13 weeks old today, and the youngest will be 13 weeks old tomorrow. Looking back very quickly (does anyone have more info?), it looks as if the last time a chick was seen on the nest last year was September 11, at 4:44 pm - and it looked like #3. I believe he may have been seen by local observers a day or two later, but not on cam again before it was turned off on September 14. The older ones were last seen for certain September 7 and 8 - so it looks as if they all left on migration when they were about 12-1/2 weeks old. In 2010, there were two chicks, and they were both last seen when they were 86 days old, so a bit over 12 weeks.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 07:15 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

5:15pm mom has been on the nest for 1 hour now. no sign of the chicks.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 07:22 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

5:18pm mom fusses with a small stick at 6oclock spot then goes to 12oclock spot
looks out over the sandbar and bobbles head left to right

5:20pm large poop shot: it falls away like a string over the 5oclock corner. Probably the last of the season Wub
S'cap added Wed. 12 Sept.

@5:20 &10 seconds pm
Click on image to download

5:30pm mom has been on the nest for 1hour &15minutes

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 07:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

What a surprise to return to the camera and see Mom sitting there. I had convinced myself that they had all left for migration today because of the length of time the nest was empty.

When I read that Mom's been on the nest since 4:15pm, I couldn't believe it...I've not seen her stay this long since she's had to be with the young chicks. It seems she's enjoying some peace and quiet without the chicks demanding food from her. I find this just very precious watching her relax all by herself.

I'm just watching her up at the 12 position bobbing her head while looking over the river.
Then she's just had a poopshoot out toward 11 corner.

Sharon, your photos today from the nest site are beautiful and the timing couldn't be more perfect.
As I stated before, just when I thought they all left for good, here you have photos of the chick up on the post eating its' fish. Hopefully, a fish that s/he caught on its own. fingers crossed Fish:

Added: Thanks JudyB for the info regarding the Milford, CT nest.

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 07:31 PM EDT  
BET

Quote by: JudyB

Getting back to this nest, the two older chicks are 13 weeks old today, and the youngest will be 13 weeks old tomorrow. Looking back very quickly (does anyone have more info?), it looks as if the last time a chick was seen on the nest last year was September 11, at 4:44 pm - and it looked like #3. I believe he may have been seen by local observers a day or two later, but not on cam again before it was turned off on September 14. The older ones were last seen for certain September 7 and 8 - so it looks as if they all left on migration when they were about 12-1/2 weeks old. In 2010, there were two chicks, and they were both last seen when they were 86 days old, so a bit over 12 weeks.

I have an image of Alvin - the youngest - taking off from the nest on Sept 11. Another image of ? Osprey standing on the sand bar on Sept 14 - just before EnMax shut it off.

Edit: I am enjoying Mom on the nest. I think her natural instincts are so fouled up by her abandoning her instincts to leave the chicks to Dad and migrate that she is at a bit of a loss. If they actually can rationalize, she must be thinking " What to do now - stay or go? Are they gone? "

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 04:40 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate