The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 12:26 AM EDT  
terrytvgal

There are far more questions than answers in nature, luvtheO's. That is one of the most compelling reasons I have been so intent on watching the cams over the years. You have asked about things I have wondered about since I began watching this nest after the call for 'extra eyes' was made here at HWF after dad went missing.

I think that if anyone here had answers based on previous years or other osprey nests they would have been letting us know as things went along that what were seeing was normal (or atypical).

As long as we keep asking questons we will be alert thoughtful observers and the answers will come eventually.

Let's see what tomorrow brings!

Cheers!

Terry

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 01:57 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Here is the captures following the commotion around the nest today. Police car in bottom right hand corner, 2 police officers walked right under nest, 4 police vehicles also on the other side of river. Attempting to catch a guy who decided to swim down the river. Anyhows...upset Chick fled to post with his fish (3:11pm catch), other chick on nest, both struggling from the elements of an horrendous windstorm that passed thru Calgary today.
Click on image to download

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 02:00 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

more from around 3pm today

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 02:07 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Wow midnight and chick feeding on nest

Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 08:38 AM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: luvtheO's

:hello: Everyone,

Thank you all for your valid insights and opinions regarding events that have occurred at this nest.

I appreciate reading everyone's comments as it leaves me with things to think about and hopefully gives me a much more rounded view of things.

I have a few questions regarding O'juvies and their fishing skills.

I have really not seen evidence that these chicks are fishing on their own yet. Mom still seems to bring all the meals to the nest and the chicks don't seem to be off the nest long enough to indicate they're out fishing. At least during the majority of the daytime hours.

With all of you who have watched Osprey nests for many years, I would like to know if it's normal to see the juvies come back to the nest with a fish in talon. Not just a possible one-time sighting, but as a routine as time moves closer to migration. Are there s'caps of this happening at other nests or at this nest from other years?

What we witnessed at this nest when Mom had to take over the feeding...were her actions similar to what Dad would do at this time in their lives. Or was she catering to them much more than Dad would have?

How do the adult male osprey teach their young to come out and follow them? Does Dad fly onto the nest many times during the day for a brief moment, then fly off so as to get them to follow him on a fishing trip?

Just some questions I've had roaming about my mind.

I haven't watched this nest as actively as others have in past years, so I'll let them say what's been seen here.

I've been watching the NH Ayers Island nest quite a lot, and there might have been once that the last chick to leave brought in a fish; however, when that Dad delivered a fish, she'd immediately fly off the nest to eat it, so if she was catching her own fish, I'd expect her to take them straight to where she normally went to eat.

Those watching the Milford CT nest saw the last chick to leave bring fish to the nest several times - here's a link to the Maine forum thread, I think starting with the first fish the chick brought to the nest - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index ... 2#msg50732. The adults there are nicknamed Captain Kidd and Lola.

Rob Bierregaard has been tracking osprey chicks on migration, and while we've sadly lost many of the chicks he's been tracking, I don't remember seeing anything to suggest that it was because they couldn't find food.

And here's a link to the Maine forum's thread with osprey information - the post I linked to describes watching adults in Sweden teach their chicks to fish, though I must admit I've never seen anything like that, and don't know if it's common in North America or even in other parts of Europe - http://www.window-on-wildlife.com/index ... 2#msg23932.

Researchers watching the osprey at the Hellgate Canyon nest in Montana report that they've seen all three chicks fishing, but I don't remember any reports of a chick bringing a fish to the nest. Others who watched more than I may have more to add about that nest.

Hope that helps a little!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 08:41 AM EDT  
JudyB

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

WEATHER
High 13C
Cloudy periods
Wind W 15km/h
Low 3C

6:40 am
Just brought up the cam to see both chicks on the nest, and one busily consuming a fish. Sorry I didn't open it sooner to see how the fish arrived, but I was doing other things.

6:56 am
Big flurry of wings and tug-of-war that happened too fast for me to get a s'cap - and I think it was a successful steal.

The fish looks big enough for two. Smile

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 09:16 AM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning JudyB :hello:

7:15 am
The chick is still working on the fish as in your previous reports Judy.

7:22 am
Sunshine !

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 09:21 AM EDT  
gd

Hello CalgarywaveI won't be able to watch the cams for the next two weeks as I am now on the road so I expect I will miss the departure- will avidly read the posts and thank you all for covering the ospreysThank You

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:19 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate