Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 08:49 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

6:45pm they are both still on the nest looking to screen right (at the hydo tower? is it to the right of the cam view?)and I can see that at least 1 is chattering

bright sun on the nest though it looks a bit darker over the water.

Click on image to download

OUT :hello:

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 08:56 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

"The other thing we would like to remind you - these birds are wildlife and not pets. Although we have all got really attached to them, they are wild birds learning to navigate the world on their own. This is an exciting and scary transition from complete dependence on their parents, to complete independence in a very short time. We root for them and wish them well, and help them out occasionally when they really get in trouble, but they are still wild animals having to figure things out on their own. They have been doing this for a lot longer than we have been around, and so they have some things figured out pretty well! A large part of our project is simply trying to make their environment a safer place for Ospreys (and all the other critters in the rivers and lakes), so that they can do their thing with a minimum of human-caused problems."

An excerpt from a post by Dr. Erick Green on the facebook page for the Hellgate Canyon osprey nest at Missoula, Montana, which can be found on the Hancock Forum, and I think adheres closely to David Hancock's philosophy. This pair also raised three offspring, with all fledging and doing well until the mysterious injury to the first hatchling, Crown Royal's left wing, which has slowed her progress and caused much worry to fellow watchers of the nest. The larger study involves many nests in Montana and is part of a project that gauges the effects of pollutants from mines on the current osprey population there.

It is wonderful to have the good doctors and students "hands on" involvement in the nest and that includes the use of the PTZ camera. Grin ( A very different philosophy than that exhibited by the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society who took the Calgary Osprey into "care" on Sept. 5th.) I happen to like the philosophy of Dr. Green, who after all specializes in this area, (and has a great sense of humour to boot).

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 10:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

8:09pm - Bless her heart...Mom came in with a bedtime snack for the lonely chick that was on the nest.
Mom must've had her fill first as it is headless. Mom left right after the drop.

8:12pm - It took a couple of minutes to settle down, but now s/he's down to business.

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 10:34 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

At 7:01pm one young osprey flew off the nest; the other remaining and he was finally rewarded for his steadfastness with a fish at 8:09 when Mom flew in with a large one, yum, yum. He is enjoying his prize at 8, it will soon be dark and is 9C now. The predicted high tomorrow is 13c but no frost here tonight. Mom seems tireless in her duty, I marvel at her skill and committment to her family.

Has anyone else at times wondered if Mom is one of Dad's offsprings? Her head markings have always looked so similar to his and now her fishing ability matches his, dare I say? Just pure speculation on my part of course.

Forgot to thank you, luv, earlier for the catch of the three young ospreys on the nest. I saw that too and tried to send an excited post but somehow blew it - it went something like this: Did anyone else see that or was I hallucinating? (It really happened quickly). Thanks for all your beautiful s'caps and posts. Thank You

8:33 pm Our youngster is tying into this fish like there is no tomorrow. Wub
Thanks, Mom, you rock!

If I don't see a post from you tonight or tomorrow, Gerard, I and many others will be deeply disappointed. We appreciate you here. hug and value your input.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 11:05 PM EDT  
Jean

8:59pm............So many interesting topics today! Janet, that was definitely a different series of events with the police chase going on! And much discussion about our 3rd missing chick. Now that the amount of daylight is decreasing rapidly and the temperatures are dropping down so much I also think our chicks and Mom of course will fly away soon. Instinct is powerful and nature has its ways of triggering events.........and so it goes..............our family, I feel, will soon be gone. What a pleasure, although some sadness, in watching these lovely creatures. I will miss them.:cry1: But I wish all the best for them, as you all do too.

There is one osprey chick in the nest at the lower left corner of the box.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 11:25 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

9:23 pm Chick is on the nest rim at 9, guarding the left-overs. Good night

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 11:43 PM EDT  
lilywriter

9:41 pm. One chick is still on the nest.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Tuesday, September 11 2012 @ 12:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

:hello: Everyone,

Thank you all for your valid insights and opinions regarding events that have occurred at this nest.

I appreciate reading everyone's comments as it leaves me with things to think about and hopefully gives me a much more rounded view of things.

I have a few questions regarding O'juvies and their fishing skills.

I have really not seen evidence that these chicks are fishing on their own yet. Mom still seems to bring all the meals to the nest and the chicks don't seem to be off the nest long enough to indicate they're out fishing. At least during the majority of the daytime hours.

With all of you who have watched Osprey nests for many years, I would like to know if it's normal to see the juvies come back to the nest with a fish in talon. Not just a possible one-time sighting, but as a routine as time moves closer to migration. Are there s'caps of this happening at other nests or at this nest from other years?

What we witnessed at this nest when Mom had to take over the feeding...were her actions similar to what Dad would do at this time in their lives. Or was she catering to them much more than Dad would have?

How do the adult male osprey teach their young to come out and follow them? Does Dad fly onto the nest many times during the day for a brief moment, then fly off so as to get them to follow him on a fishing trip?

Just some questions I've had roaming about my mind.

I agree with you JD, Mom has been such a gem with raising her chicks to be strong and healthy. Whenever I think about how hard she's worked, it often brings tears to my eyes. :cry1:

The same happens when I think about chick #3. Cry Hanky Not knowing how she is, is very stressful and draining. I had no idea I would become so attached to this osprey family. Red Heart

Thank You and Good night

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:03 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate