The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 05:47 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

:hello: everyone,

Yes Christine, the wind has come up and the temp dropped 2C in the last ten minutes so shades of yesterday's storm - thanks, BET for the video of the fish liftoff yesterday and welcome back.

Our osprey with the fish moved it closer into the nest from the rim at 12 as the wind increased, maybe he was the one on the nest yesterday when the old fish flew away and he has learned a valuable lesson. He continues to eat the fish but the wind is really rocking both youngsters now.

Speaking of learning a lot this year, I think we can examine what happened last week and see how we can improve for another year to prevent what looked like a healthy young bird whom we believe to be Mom and Dad's first-born and strongest flyer - who happened to take a wrong turn and needed some help escaping her balcony "trap" - from being confined in care by a well-meaning group who do indeed do a lot of good.

We all have the same goal here, I believe, and that is to do what is best for wildlife, and through our viewing of the cams we are opening up the natural world to a lot of people who before hadn't realized just how marvelous it is.

For us to play even a small part in aiding wildlife here I believe that communication is key. Gerard has made a very good point in saying that to sit back (as we did in accord with the CWRS's wishes - nay, even demands -) did not save our youngster from this undesired fate. And even if the bird is from another nest - this was a high-flying youngster who was lost among the downtown Calgary skyscrapers that are very close to the Bow River, it is a wild creature learning the skills it needs to very quickly be able to survive on its own and migrate. I think that it deserved its chance in life.

I hope that everyone that is interested in what happened here takes the time to go to the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society's webpage. There you can see all the good they do, they do not want to take in wildlife that doesn't need care and have published quite a few things to look for before bringing in someone to care so be sure to look there.

Because this is where I have a big problem with the Centre and would like to see if we can effect some change. We had the very good fortune to be viewing a cam with what we know to be a healthy strong osprey from this nest out exploring the world without a father to guide her way. (This would never have happened with our Dad around, imo). We still had a wonderful mother caring well for her youngsters and stretched pretty thin at the time so couldn't always be looking out for our young explorer. For that reason alone it makes sense that it was the osprey that went missing from this nest the same day was the one on the balcony.

We waited for word from the Society, hoping for a quick release as we worried about the sad fate of most ospreys in care, something to be avoided unless absolutely necessary. Nothing forthcoming, no word as we anxiously awaited the hopefully good news.

We could phone the centre and inquire about it, yes? I may have been the first to phone on Thursday afternoon and ask politely if they had any news on the osprey's condition as we were hoping for a quick examination and release. I was immediatley greeted with a "Who are you?" response at which my heart sank.
I quickly said that I watched the osprey nest at the zoo on the cam but the lady replied that the bird was in the best care and would have to be examined and declared fit by a vet before it could be released, and that was that.

And so the fate of this poor bird has been cast, and of course you are right, both Judys about the time updates take, etc. and the hard-working staff and volunteers. But they wouldn't have to do these if they had a better procedure to ensure that birds that shouldn't be in care were not admitted in the first place. Knowing what I know now I wish that I had not respected their wishes but had tried everything in my power to get this bird released while it was still in good condition.

I think if this bird was the osprey from this nest as I believe it to be, that Mom and Dad deserved better.

Both birds flew off at 3:11 pm and one has returned. My apologies for the length of this post and thank you Hancock Forum for being here so that we can report and discuss and debate our obvervations in such a welcoming and caring atmosphere.

3:35 pm The second youngster arrives on the nest, teeters at 8. At 3:41 one took off and then I saw a bird quickly flying up from the river go under the nest. Now our youngster is back again, guess it was Mom as she lands and I hope that our hungry chick has the fish. Mom flew off at 3:45 pm. The fish is at 11 and is a good sized one.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 05:49 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

3:44pm - AFK for a bit and when I returned chicks were getting excited and then Mom flew in with a fresh catch.
Click on image to download

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 05:55 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

a busy few seconds!!

3:45pm 1 on the nest when I opened the cam
2nd arrived as I was geting organized

3:44 &55seconds mom in with fish

2:46pm missed mom leaving.
chick with the fish is at 11ocock corner

Edited to remove incorrect assumption about the Osprey in care... I did not see any public announcement on the rehab FB page... NO news so far about Osprey in care

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 06:01 PM EDT  
JudyB

J D, have you heard something I missed about the fate of the young osprey at CWRS?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts here. I noticed that there were questions posted on their facebook page about other creatures being treated there, and do feel they may be missing an opportunity to engage the public by not finding a way to answer some of those questions - and perhaps doing so would get them some additional support. But I do know it's not easy - you need someone who understands the issues involved in each case - and that unfortunately probably means a very busy person.

I do hope we can find a way to support them, and work with them - and think much of that effort will have to fall to those who live in the Calgary area.

3:45 pm
Mom in with fish.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 06:08 PM EDT  

Just read your update Janet...crazy happenings going on down there at the nest area!

I guess we'll get some more updates from you and perhaps it'll make the 6:00 news as well??

Looking forward to your ground photos. Smile

Mom flew off at 3:45pm - just caught her leaving.

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 06:47 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

:hello:

Hi Terry and Luv, love your s'caps of the incoming fish. Hi Janet, very interesting development on or should I say in the river, I did see the two officers walk by. Hi Judy and Christine and everybody that I missed.

No, I have heard nothing new, I only made that initial phone call last Thurs. and abided by their wishes. Then Janet went to the Centre on Fri. and was told about the small cage that that beautiful bird we saw was placed in.

She needed to be flying and fishing and developing all her skills the past week, imo, and if she failed then at least she had the chance at her life. Mom can't possibly wait for her to regain her freedom and strength if she is still alive and can be released. And who is going to teach her these life skills?

All they had to do was listen, it was so lucky that we knew the bird and could say if she has nothing broken please set her free. It was a wonderful opportunity missed and it makes no sense at all to me.

If you go to their website, wonderfully warm and friendly, btw, you can find an address to which a letter to the board can be sent, not that I see this situation arising again but there must be other cases where a quick examination and release would be in the best interests of all. I am also going to write to our provincial gov't too as there is a dept. headed by Dr. Gordon Court who was very instrumental in bringing about the return of the Peregrine Falcon to s. AB. after its extirpation in the 70's and he is a caring if busy individual too. Just google him and you will find very interesting articles there - he's the biologist not the musician, btw.Grin

4:45 pm Still chowing down at 9 and by the looks of our chick with the big crop this must be our hungry one who finally got the fish.Fish:

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 06:56 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

4:36pm the sky is getting a bit brighter at the moment
One chick still eating the other is turned away from the meal and looking to screen right.

~~~

I notice that the Calgary Rehab center is Not open to the public, even though they have resident wildlife. This is very different to the O.W.L. facility here in BC many of us are so familiar with. Despite being open to the public, OWL still had something of a (Huge!!) 'learning curve' when one of the Delta1 eaglets was rescued by them a few years ago. We wanted up to the second updates all day every day! The poor OWL staff must have thought they were being over run by fanatics, not just caring fans. Over time the Forum Admins here at HWF have developed a positive, trustworthy rapport with the O.W.L. staff and it has been a mutually beneficial collaboration.

Perhaps in the wake of this 'collision' between Osprey watchers and the Calgary rehab center, a new relationship can develop so that there is someone who can 'represent' the nest watchers and general birding community who follow the Calgary osprey nests that will allow for better communication should there be another Osprey from the area go into care with them.

It is a process and the key ingredient is always to be respectful to the Rehab center (wherever in the world it may be). They are professionals and as hard as it may be to let them 'do their thing' we, too, must adopt a professional attitude if we wish to be trusted with the information they can give us.

I say this because I feel that after several seasons of consistent nest watching, many of our viewers are just that. Professional. What we do is challenging and requires skill and practise. It is surely a new experience for rehab facilities to be contacted by people who can tell them how often the animal suddenly in their care eats and defecates, when the last meal was consumed and what it was. It is going to take the rehabbers of the world some time to understand that there are people out there who can reliably give them this sort of vital background on the creatures in their care.

If we contiue to do 'our jobs' and trust them to do theirs, eventually they will embrace the help we can offer if need be.

4:54pm eater is still eating as sibling looks on. and just as I type that sibling tries for a steal and fails.

PS~~ J.D. I did not see your comments before making my post.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 07:01 PM EDT  

4:56pm - Nice little fish fight...they both have an end.

And the winner is...the previous watcher who now has the fish @ the 7 corner.
The previous owner has a poopshoot up at 10.

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:20 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate