The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 10:58 AM EDT  
jkr

8:57 am
Still eating.
His sibling has been busy chittering at him pretty much through the entire meal but he hasn't made any attempt to steal the fish.
Click on image to download

8:59 am
He finally got enough nerve to move in for a steal although unsuccessful.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 11:09 AM EDT  
gd

waveheading off on a three week jaunt this morning -will be able to do a little observing but restricted:ds:. look forward to all your posts and obs, so very interested to see what happens in the next couple of weeks. Will ma stay? Will the chicks leave? I'm sure they will. Will the third chick appear again? is that chick the one in rehab? Maybe we'll never know.:dunno: at any rate Thank Youall

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 11:16 AM EDT  
jkr

Hope you have a chance to enjoy your time away gd and that it's not all work. :hello:

My feeling is that the chicks and Mom will be gone by the end of this week if not sooner but without Dad it's hard to say what they will plan to do. I am very surprised Mom has stuck around as long as she has but she has obviously taken Dad's roll very seriously.

9:16 am
The chick that went without breakfast has flown off. Maybe he decided to go find his own.

9:18 am
The second chick flew off as well....headed off and seen on the lower left of the nest.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 11:26 AM EDT  
JudyB

Gerard, I also have the utmost respect for your opinion - and know that you've spent much more time actually watching osprey nests in person than I have. I think my concern is more style than substance - I know we're all worried about the young osprey - and we all know that osprey are not happy in captivity, so we'd like to know what is being done to make sure the osprey is released as soon as possible. Looking at their website and facebook page, it appears that doing daily updates is not part of their procedure - and would almost certainly require additional staff or volunteer time. (And volunteers would need to talk to those who work with the animals, which would potentially reduce the amount of time spent directly caring for the animals and birds there.)

I suspect that they are used to quietly going about their work, knowing that they're helping wildlife, and accepting the fact that there's not a lot of interest in the work that they do. The attention we've brought to this one osprey has almost certainly taken them by surprise, and as an admin and sometimes "official voice" for HWF, I'm very aware that giving an update isn't as simple as it may seem. That doesn't mean that there's a cover-up going on - just that this is new and different and they're perhaps trying to figure how to handle our request for information with the limited resources they have available. Thank you.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 11:29 AM EDT  
jkr

9:28 am
One chick has returned home.

I missed a s'cap but a magpie landed on the rim and he immediately warned it off.

9:40 am
Empty nest.

Out I am out.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 12:59 PM EDT  
BET

Monday Sept 10

I'm back - Arrived yesterday - logged on to see current status on the one in rehab and if Mom still here, etc. Scanned the forum. Noted the discussion of "the resident fish" I had turned on the cam and the recorder, practically as soon as I walked in the door. So this am I struggled through Utube. I really am not into doing video's but this scenario did require the moving scene. So here it is in "slow motion"

http://youtu.be/0ktDkGQqO8w

Off Topic: I had a great time I post here an image from one moring - No Ospreys but two available fishes giggle

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 02:23 PM EDT  
JudyB

Welcome back, BET!

12:23 pm
Looks as if they are watching something.

Added -
Just watched your video - that's great, BET!

12:38 pm
Mom in with a fish. The chick nearer the cam has it, but I don't know if that's the one who got the earlier fish or the other one. A magpie tried to come in to help, and was sent on his way by glares from all three osprey.

Mom left shortly afterwards, and the other chick is edging closer.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 04:05 PM EDT  
lilywriter

2:00 pm Hi BET -- welcome back. As you can see the drama never ends at this nest. Thank you for posting the video. We sure wondered what happened to the fish.

The wind has come up at the nest.

Added: Storm has hit my end of the city -- rain, wind, thunder. sigh.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:04 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate