Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 11:05 PM EDT  
jkr

9:03 pm
Empty nest.
Click on image to download

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 11:16 PM EDT  
jkr

Quote by: Gerard

JudyB i work in a hospital,it's very busy,we take many calls,i understand fully that they are a caring facility,but i'm of more straight-forward
approach,many Zoo's at times can make mistakes,i don't feel
at all that we should silence ourselves,it's just that kind of closed attitude,not to question i feel can lead to everything being swept under
the table,the fact that no infomation is released is of question,the thought
that the other bird just migrated would have been a very,very early migration,so i do not think for one second thats that is the case,i
understand people may get touchy at the zoo,they have a PR program like everyone else,
they raise money,they ask for donations,then why should they not be forthright! If they released infomation,then not much more would
possibly be said,but the fact that as you stated she's in a small cage,the chick at this nest
was also a female,no exercise!!!,that they are trying to put a tube down her throat,a full drawn out medical (maybe,maybe not?),that she's
a bird that is very unadaptable in captivity,so are they gonna be open or not,it's close to migration,
there's a lot this bird has got to learn,i visited the facebook page,theres natta,go figure,
i say to everyone,yes,i'll agree at times i can be tough,but to sit back,say nothing,just accept what is,well we know where that took us
has a society,all i ask is what!!! is going on
there,is that too much?

Gerard, I know you directed your statement to JudyB, but just for the record, this nest does not belong to the Calgary Zoo. It belongs to Enmax which is the power utility company.

I know we all feel that the osprey at the rehab center came from this nest, however, it may also not have come from here. I don't feel it's fair to speculate or think badly of any rehab center when we don't know the full circumstances of the osprey's care. For all we know she could very well have been released already, but they are not obligated to make any statement to the public if that's their choice.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 12:20 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

The storm has blown over now, but it was scary for awhile. My heart always turns to the Osprey, the winds were horrendous, they are quite helpless against the elements. Thinking of poor Dad during the hailstorm...wish we knew what happened. I need to check out the O nest on Highway 22x and Macleod Trail and see how it faired. For awhile I thought we might get some hail.
bfn
Janet

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 09:05 AM EDT  
golden1

September 10, 2012

6:49 Empty nest

7:02 Two chicks on nest

7:11 One chick has a small meal. I was reading posts here and missed how the fish arrived.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Gerard () on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 09:12 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Gerard

I agree with parts of your statement Janet,and of all the people at Hancock i have the utmost respect for JudyB,i guess it is what it is,
i know JudyB for years,she has great knowledge,way beyond me and
she keeps all the records and as far as i am concerned there is no one i have more respect for,she has kept records and has compiled
infomation for years,i understand over many many years
how vital and important JudyB is,i just felt the ordeal was completely silenced,and there-fore i'll admit i'm very upset about it.I will be at
Ayers next year as i promised my friend that
i would team up with her again,if any of you are around please come over and say hello,i also feel that these two will do fine and migrate
so i'm opting out so the end of the year can be peaceful,
sorry if i upset you JudyB but i think you know me way better and of course your words at times are great to make me think more,i really
do not think the bird is from another nest,and just before i go
Janet,all power company put poles up so that the osprey will not nest at poles with wires and set them on fire,they don't per-sey own the
nest,Zoo's are run by government money and local and business donations,they are
accountable.I believe the info about the rescued bird was brought
here to this forum,then the info died,i just wanted a follow up whether good or bad and of course i could not care less about how this
would affect any PR for the Calgary zoo.At Salmonier Nature Park when an osprey was delivered from
Labrador with burnt feathers from a nest on a pole with wires that caught fire,when a Great-Horned owl was captured by them after having
alerting them myself,every time i called the info was freely released,when the osprey died,i was
told it died,it's not rocket science Janet,it was an open discussion,i'm gone now for the year but i will be reading as it will be exciting to read
that the two remaining juvies have migrated,that will make me smile more then
anything,as i only have love for the birds and nature,i'm not so connected to the human side or their sensitivities when i feel nature and or
a bird is overly interfered with,since there is no info
i could be right i could be wrong,who's to say as i'm in the dark here completely.

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 09:43 AM EDT  
jkr

7:43 am
One juvie on the nest still eating.

7:52 am
Not sure how big the fish was that the chick had but he's finished it.

8:09 am
Second chick arrives.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 10:21 AM EDT  
golden1

8:20 They are sure chittering away this morning. I believe they are hungry and letting mom know they are up and ready.

The earlier fish was pretty small from what I could get a glance at as the chick ate.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Monday, September 10 2012 @ 10:33 AM EDT  
jkr

8:31 am
Mom is in with a fish.

Mad scramble but the chick at 5:00 corner was successful.
Mom then flew off.

Unfortunately, I think the chick that had a fish earlier is the one who scooped it this time as well.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:30 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate