The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: gd (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 05:24 PM EDT  
gd

Hello all! :hello: Is this the same fish from this morning?
thanks Judyb for reminding us how hard the wildlife rescue people work and that they have the best interests of the juvie in mind.Thank You to them and to you

Interesting that, at both hellgate and here, two chicks remain near and on the nest while the third has vacated. I wonder if the mystery will ever be solved. Is the chick in care the one from this nest or has he /she headed out on his own? If the chicks that have vacated are both male, perhaps we are seeing a gender difference in terms of the males developing their hunting skills and the females need to remain near the nest for nurturing purposes.? The reflection in many animals lives comes to mind, where the male must strike out on his own to establish new territory and the female stays near home base.
At the eagle nest that I watched the sole surviving eaglet was a male and he fledged very early, was rescued for a couple of days, as he wasn't quite ready, and returned to the nest area- he stayed for a little while and then fledged again a few days later.. we never saw him again. In contrast the female the year before stayed for so long the parents practically had to buy her a ticket on a plane to get her to migrate north.

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 05:32 PM EDT  
gd

luv the O's that is a stunning scap you caught of the juvie landing on the nestLeft thumb up
3:30pm Our lone juvie standing on the the fish without end and every now and again telling someone what she thinks of them
Click on image to download

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 05:33 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

3:24pm 2 on the nest as I was getting organized. At least 2 fish carcasses in view and I think the bird that left was eating at 9oclock spot

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 05:47 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

3:40pm believe it or not, I think a strong wind gust caught one of the fish carcasses and tossed it off the nest! At the same time the chick was mantling/ had wings spread as if to ward off an intruder. (or keep his position against the gust of wind?)

fish carcass in orange box

carcass gone now.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 05:49 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

OH MY GOODNESS...this has to be the most hilarious thing ever! Did anyone else see this?

3:39pm - This chick was flapping about in the middle of the nest in defensive mode, a spit second after I took this s'cap, the edge of her wing caught Old Crusty and because of how dried up it was, it rolled back over the edge of the nest!! I watched it roll off but I missed the s'cap.
Green LOL Titter giggle

Hi Terry Smile - I'm glad you were watching as well and caught this spectacular incident!

That just made my day - to see Old Crusty gone for good!! I'm still Rolling on floor laughing

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 06:09 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: lilywriter

Quote by: gd

hi jkr - she is certainly working on it- I can't remember when that fish came in but it has been rejected for at least two days now. Perhaps it was dry to start and ma found the fish, someone mentioned it looked sliced - maybe it was a steal from a fisherman??or a discard?

I don't know if the fish would have been a steal from a fisherman unless the fisherman was being naughty. Only birds and animals are allowed to take fish from the river. The river our osprey fish from is a catch and release river and there is a hefty fine for keeping the fish.

Thanks for that info. lilywriter! I am the one who first mentioned the fish looked as if it could have been sliced open for gutting.

4:05pm still just 1 on the nest and it is happily eating at 9oclock spot. the water is glittering now so the sun must be peeking out at the moment

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 06:32 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

4:29pm and he's off and away down and to screen left

missed the s'cap Bash computer

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: gd (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 06:32 PM EDT  
gd

4:26- 30pm finished the fish ..well, there is a wee bit of tail left .. cleans beak at 11- ps..and flew away toward the river and left- missed that scap

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 03:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate