The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 02:25 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

:hello:everyone,

Thanks for all the posts and s'caps over the past few days.

Mom initially stayed on the nest after delivery of that fish and there was a lot of calling and some mantling as they looked s.w. toward the river. When she took off she may have been chasing "someone" but that was two hours ago. It looks like very little of the
fish has been touched so maybe there is another threat making them too uneasy to eat.

12:08 pm Teetering on the edge of the nest with the fish, the youngster has a good ps.

No news of the young osprey in care is not necessarily good news, I suspect. Janet, if you are correct that the osprey is in a cage 5' by 5' she would hardly be able to stretch her wings out with a 5 1/2 to 6 ' wingspan. She looked fine in Eric's pictures, - surely they have put her in a flight cage to see if she could fly, haven't they? If she has been confined to that small a cell her flight muscles will be atrophied, imo. Gerard you may be right, they will have to put her on a plane for migration. What is happening here? I hope that they have an update on facebook.

12:17 pm Still not eating this fish and will not share. NO

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 03:29 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

At 12:44 pm the eating began anew, the other young one has been in and out several times in the last hour, just leaving five minutes ago after teetering on the stick at 11. The sun is trying to shine after an overcast afternoon.

Terry you mentioned a shadow on the river around 7 pm last night if I recall correctly. It may be now that the sun is dropping lower in the sky by then it has dropped below the trees or skyscrapers. I lose it behind trees in my yard at that time.

Yesterday was a sunny blue sky day with nary a cloud until evening, it hit 31C just south of Calgary, warmer than most days in July and August. Perhaps summer's last hurrah? Now out to mow the lawn. Smile

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 03:43 PM EDT  
JudyB

Hi everyone! I have a favor to ask. I know we're all concerned about the young osprey who was rescued, and we all wish the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society was posting updates at least a couple of times a day - but the fact of the matter almost certainly is that they don't have the staff to do that. From their facebook page:

"Established in 1993, the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (CWRS) is a registered non-profit charitable organization that rescues and rehabilitates wild animals in the City of Calgary and surrounding areas.

CWRS provides professional care and facilities for wildlife rehabilitation. It is the ONLY wildlife hospital within the City Calgary that is staffed with veterinarians who work tirelessly to nurse patients - whether feathered, winged, furry, finned - back to good health."

They've been doing this for almost 20 years. They may not have the sort of facilities that we're used to seeing from high-profile places like the Wildlife Center of Virginia (where the Norfolk eaglets were taken when their mother was hit by a plane) - but they almost certainly have what they need, and probably partner with other rehab places if one of the birds, animal or fish in their care needs something they can't provide in house.

And they may be reading our forum.

We have a good working relation with the Orphaned Wildlife Rehab Society in Delta (O.W.L.) - and that's been a huge help when we have had issues with the chicks at the various Delta nests. I think we now have the opportunity to establish a relationship with CWRS - which could be very useful in the future if we see something on the cam that suggests there may be a creature in need of rescue.

I know that we're posting out of concern for the chick - but some of the posts could be read as second-guessing the decisions of the staff at CWRS. It's fine to share our knowledge - at BET's suggestion, I PM'd Rick to mention that O.W.L. might be a resource if they ran into a problem with the chick. But please - it's so easy to be misunderstood on a forum where you just see the words and not the facial expressions and caring behind them - please read your posts twice before posting to make sure they couldn't be misinterpreted.

Thank you. love

I'll also mention that the folks running the Hellgate Canyon osprey cam in Montana think their male chick began migration three days ago, at the age of 11 weeks. He hadn't been seen in the nest for several days before that, but was still found by their researchers at his usual perches - and now he (and their Mom) are nowhere to be seen.

Our three chicks are 12-1/2 weeks old. And we know there's at least one other chick in the area - the fourth chick we saw at the nest. And while I haven't watched these chicks grow up the way many of you have, I get the feeling that the two we're seeing are female - and I also thought there was one male here, though I could be wrong about that. Anyway, all of that makes me think that our missing chick could indeed be the one in rehab - but to my mind, it's also equally likely that he (or she) is either doing his own fishing and not coming to the nest - or has already left on migration.

And speaking of leaving - I'll be away from the computer for a while.

Again - thank you!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 04:05 PM EDT  
jkr

I'm here for only a moment.

2:02 pm
One of the chicks is at the 7:00 corner eating his fish. I don't see mention of a second delivery today so I take it that it's the same fish Mom brought in hours ago,.
Click on image to download

Stopped eating and appeared to be sending out a warning to some unseen creature.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 04:31 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

Just after logging on to the camera...I saw a chick arrive on the nest which I assumed was our 2nd chick. I was about to make a s'cap when suddenly a 3rd chick arrived to chase off the 2nd chick. I could only get one of the s'caps. I'm assuming the 3rd chick is ours and was chasing off an intruder juvie.

I wanted to get caught up on the days events before posting just in case there were other posts of a 3rd chick at the nest today.

1:57pm - Here's the s'cap of 3rd chick chasing off the intruder.

2:38pm - The same chick as in Judy's s'cap happily working away on the 'fresh' fish.

2:42pm - Chick has been a bit on guard the last couple of moments.

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 04:37 PM EDT  
jkr

2:37 pm
Still enjoying his meal.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 04:42 PM EDT  
jkr

Quote by: luvtheO's

Just after logging on to the camera...I saw a chick arrive on the nest which I assumed was our 2nd chick. I was about to make a s'cap when suddenly a 3rd chick arrived to chase off the 2nd chick. I could only get one of the s'caps. I'm assuming the 3rd chick is ours and was chasing off an intruder juvie.

I wanted to get caught up on the days events before posting just in case there were other posts of a 3rd chick at the nest today.

1:57pm - Here's the s'cap of 3rd chick chasing off the intruder.

Wonderful catch luvtheO's. I don't doubt you saw one but I'm wondering if maybe it was Mom. Puzzled:dunno:
So far today all I have seen are Mom and the two chicks but I wasn't watching at 1:57 when you captured the event.
It would be wonderful if indeed it was the third chick. fingers crossed

2:42 pm
An O flew under the nest and headed directly to the sandbar. The one on the nest is still eating.

Out out again. Baking I have to get done.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Sunday, September 09 2012 @ 04:57 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

Hi Judy, It was definitely a juvie that landed on the nest followed by another juvie who chased it away.
I believe what I witnessed was 'our' chick chasing off an intruder chick.

When I called it chick #3 I was not implying that our 3rd chick is home but just labelling them for that s'cap.
1rst chick was on the nest, followed by 2nd chick (intruder), immediately followed by 3rd chick (our chick protecting the nest.)

3:03pm - 2nd chick arrives back with a graceful hover-landing...perhaps coming down from the cam pole?

3:10pm - Large bird just flew by the front (riverside) of the nest, but I only caught a glimpse from the corner of my eye as I was typing. Not sure if it was an Osprey?

3:21pm - Chick @9 has a poopshoot then flies off.

3:24pm - Chick who was @12 now moves down to 9:00 to take over the fresh fish.

Added: Hello gd...I believe it is the same fish from this morning.

All times are EST. The time is now 03:14 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate