Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:16 PM EDT  
JudyB

Updates from the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society facebook page

About 2 pm:
Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (CWRS): The osprey is doing well and will be released as soon as he has vet clearance. We have no evidence that this is the zoo osprey. More likely he is from another nest a few blocks from where he was found. We are well aware of the stress conditions that develop with osprey in captivity and will ensure he is released as soon as possible.

About 4:30 pm:
Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (CWRS): We have had several inquiries regarding our current Osprey patient. Please be reminded that CWRS is a non public access facility with no public admittance.

The Osprey is currently under the care of highly trained wildlife veterinarians and the centre will not be responding to questions from the public via facebook, email or phone or providing status updates otherwise posted on facebook. Thank you.

And a language question (knowing that the version of English I speak is a bit different than that spoken in western Canada - does "the centre will not be ... providing status updates otherwise posted on facebook" mean they won't post additional updates or does it mean that the only updates will be those posted on facebook?

Either way, I do echo what others have said - if they're anything like the other rehab organizations I've known, they are very busy and need to focus all their energy on taking care of the animals in their care. It is hard - but thanks for respecting their request that we not call. love

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Rick W (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:19 PM EDT  
Rick W

I've spoken to the rehab people and the Osprey is still there, she was a bit skinny so they are trying to fatten her up before release. She is also having x-rays taken tomorrow.

I am sure this will stir up a whole lot of opinions. I don't know what's best, hopefully, they do.

Rick

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:28 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

5:26pm
Chick at 7 is eating the fish... I see the sibling has moved over to the other side of the nest at 3/ 4
Click on image to download\

Added,
Thank you Judy B and Rick for the updates on the captured Osprey.... I am just so grateful the chick is getting the best of care and thanks Rick for seeing to that.....and i know they will release chick when the chick is ready... hopefully that will be tomorrow if then x-ray is negative..

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:32 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

5:31pm non-eater took off. missed the s'cap. I was taken by surprise

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:36 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

Regarding the Osprey at the Rehab Centre, O is being well cared for and being nourished. They are doing an incredible job. Rick did an amazing job of rescuing O and rescuing the O SUCCESSFULLY I hasten to add. We are indebted to you Rick. The Centre is a non public access facility, so I made a mistake in visiting and will not return. Nevertheless, I emphasize that the staff were nothing but professional, friendly, helpful and kind. They are not government funded, lots of volunteers. They have updated us on their website at Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre with a new picture and status of O. I am much happier now and we must wait and leave them alone to do their jobs. Many volunteers doing this just for the love of these precious creatures. The Centre want to be 100% SURE the O is not injured before she is released, otherwise all everyones good work is undone. How would we feel if she were released with an injured wing or anything. We will have a healthy O released to the wild at some point.
Gosh what a heavy heart today......
Didnt manage to visit the Zoo Nest today, only from driving by on Deerfoot Trail. Hoped for sighing of O fishing on the Bow River, alas No. Glorious weather again in YYC, warm sun and clear blue sky, and should remain like this for a few days. Keep you posted
Janet

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:36 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Quote by: terrytvgal

5:31pm non-eater took off. missed the s'cap. I was taken by surprise

Me too Terry..i was posting and the chick was gone when i looked up....

5:35pm
Chick at 7 is enjoying her fish
Click on image to download

Added
Thanks Janet... I already commented on the other page....

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:40 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

...and the centre will not be responding to questions from the public via facebook, email or phone or providing status updates otherwise posted on facebook. Thank you.

Judy, I take it to mean that they will post to FB as they can but will not be responding to any follow-up questions the fb followers may have.
It's a bit of an unweildy sentence to be sure!

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 07:42 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Bringing JudyB's comments on to the new page...

Quote by: JudyB

Updates from the Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society facebook page

About 2 pm:
Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (CWRS): The osprey is doing well and will be released as soon as he has vet clearance. We have no evidence that this is the zoo osprey. More likely he is from another nest a few blocks from where he was found. We are well aware of the stress conditions that develop with osprey in captivity and will ensure he is released as soon as possible.

About 4:30 pm:
Calgary Wildlife Rehabilitation Society (CWRS): We have had several inquiries regarding our current Osprey patient. Please be reminded that CWRS is a non public access facility with no public admittance.

The Osprey is currently under the care of highly trained wildlife veterinarians and the centre will not be responding to questions from the public via facebook, email or phone or providing status updates otherwise posted on facebook. Thank you.

And a language question (knowing that the version of English I speak is a bit different than that spoken in western Canada - does "the centre will not be ... providing status updates otherwise posted on facebook" mean they won't post additional updates or does it mean that the only updates will be those posted on facebook?

Either way, I do echo what others have said - if they're anything like the other rehab organizations I've known, they are very busy and need to focus all their energy on taking care of the animals in their care. It is hard - but thanks for respecting their request that we not call. love

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:07 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate