The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Janet Preston (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 12:42 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Chick pics at the Zoo today 215-400pm Aircraft much further away than they appear. O hardly fazed at all by the aircraft.
Janet
Click on image to download

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 12:49 AM EDT  
Janet Preston

Chick pics at the Zoo today 215-400pm No O on the Sandbar while I was there, just a wet bedraggled black squirrel, which I thought initially was a cat and panicked. Not as much squawking from the O today, fairly quiet, but they are always staring into trees in one direction or the other. No idea why. They never appeared to be looking towards the O that I photographed in the trees. River was quiet. Fire Rescue came along once (embarassed to say as a result of my phoning about a stranded black cat.....on the sandbar)

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Jean (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 01:01 AM EDT  
Jean

10:56pm..............Still an empty nest. Not a surprise. Janet, those are lovely pics! That plane going overhead..........the chicks don't really care, as I said before, I think they must be used to whatever they were born into, so to speak. And that cat on the sandbank..........we won't talk about it okay! Titter Terry, I hope the chick is not being held up because of some silly human thing either. Hopefully tomorrow, we will see it released!

No s'cap.............same empty nest as before. Sad

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 04:35 AM EDT  
JudyB

Nice pictures, Janet! I love the last one - what an expression that chick has! Smile And I was wondering if there was an airport nearby because I noticed a big shadow pass over the nest, which didn't concern the chicks.

Your first pair of pictures looks like an adult and three chicks. I know we've been thinking the chick in rehab might be the third chick from this nest, but I also follow the Hellgate Canyon osprey nest in Montana, and researchers there report that although we haven't seen the male chick on the nest since Monday, he's still in the area and is spending most of his time perched near the river, where he's begun catching his own fish; he was the first of those three to fledge, but is 8-9 days younger than the chicks here and fledged a couple of days after they did. The other two chicks there are female, so he may have decided the chances of his getting a fish were better if he followed the parents to the river!

I've also been thinking about the chick in rehab. Landing on a balcony like that doesn't seem to me like something a chick would do intentionally, so I'm wondering if a gust of wind caught her and she collided with the building. I'm also thinking that flying at a height where one could try to land on a 16th floor balcony sounds more like something a migrating chick would do, than one looking around the neighborhood - but I've never been an osprey, so who knows? I do know that Rick said she had been there for over a day, and I'm guessing it would have been quite warm - and she would have been quite stressed - so she may need to be rehydrated, hopefully by eating nice moist fish!

Keeping my fingers crossed that she'll be released in the morning.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gd (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 08:27 AM EDT  
gd

Great pics as usual Janet- thank you for this perspectiveThank You
I thought about the possibility last night, as well Judyb, that the juvie that was picked up may have flown into the building - a lot of the high rises here in Vancouver are all glass and reflect the sky and trees. Perhaps the osprey that was picked up is hurt. I guess we'll find out from Rick soon.
6:32am empty nest- well.. not empty, as there are 2 sets of fish remains on the nest! breakfast is waiting
6:44 went
to make my tea and when I returned someone had been thinking along the same lines as me time for breakfast
6:45 looked around as the light on the cam changed and flew off with it!
6:46am and back in with it!

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 08:52 AM EDT  
gd

6:45 just after she flew off
6:46 back in
6:48 starts to eat after flapping about
6:59I'm surprised the sibling hasn't arrived to claim the other fish tail

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 09:12 AM EDT  
gd

7:11am still just the one juvie on the nest eating remains of fish from last night

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Gerard () on Friday, September 07 2012 @ 09:18 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Gerard

Yes,i have no doubt either,i have held birds in my hands that have hit a window,they get knocked out,confused,but then after time they
wake up from the knockout,and just take right off.
Two scenarios,rather three,an eagle chased him,probably not! lol,he hit the window and suffered the same knockout punch as many small
birds,he stands straight and still to
recouperate,and then was confounded by the barrier,or he picked that place to roost at night and just was unable to adjust to flying up and
over the barrier.Science! well give them a bird,whether injured or not
and they will want to achieve their own personal goals bar the shock or anything else the bird will go thru,i guess we hope for the best and
making phone calls,well this will help surely
to know that they are been monitored,and that naturalists as ourselves will have a say if this bird is held too long,and dies.If i am ever called,
which i get calls all the time regarding birds,i a naturalist
as with the hawk,i would provide only what is beccessary as like in the snow bank with the Sharp-shinned,i got my fingers crossed and
would hope this bird is released,put on a high perch with a fresh trout
to boot,he may just eat it,and then fly off! On a more positive note,the younger,or rather smaller juvie that was getting bullied is now getting
fully nourished which increases his chances on migration,one bad thing happens and
it's only right to look at the positives,this is great for the smaller guy,momma also gets more so a negative can be a positive and we must realize
thru our displeasure,Rick saved this osprey by being available,he retrieved
a osprey in need,and now we must just hope for the best,and whether good or bad,Rick we admire you and appreciate the love and care that
you provided,no matter what the outcome! Big Time!!!!!!

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:33 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate