The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:48 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: lilywriter

Quote by: terrytvgal

And a thought to the person concerned about human activity disturbing the chicks from eating.

It helps if you keep in mind that the birds (be they ospreys or eagles or falcons ...) Choose to nest where they do. We cam 'tempt' them with nice places, but in the end the choice is up to them. If there is too much human activity in an area and it is some how interfering with their life, or if some instinct tells them to move, they will just go elsewhere in the future.

And they do!! At least we know bald eagles do. The pair at Sidney on Vancouver Island are on their 3rd nest since 2006. The winter they built their 2nd nest we were all quite stunned -- until 1/2 the tree they were using simply fell away.

I am not too worried that people are interfering with the day-to-day life of this family.

Ospreys will nest contentedly in some odd places. As Janet mentioned earlier, there is a nest at a cement plant in Calgary. The osprey have nested there successfully for at least 5 years but I think it is more. Their nest is on top of a piece of equipment in the middle of the plant and the equipment turns. Yes, turns with the nest on it! I think they had two chicks this year as I have seen 3 birds on the nest and one on another piece of equipment. [/p]

Do you know what company owns the plant? Our bald eagle nest is at the Lafarge cement plant down on the Vancouver waterfront.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:51 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Quote by: terrytvgal

Do you know what company owns the plant? Our bald eagle nest is at the Lafarge cement plant down on the Vancouver waterfront.

It is a Lafarge plant. Lafarge did work with Fish and Wildlife and erected a pole near the river but the geese take it so the osprey are still in the plant.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:59 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

5:52pm our chck seems to have found a 2nd chick of leftover fins.
a 2nd chick lands on the nest.

5:53pm mom arrives with fish and it goes to the chick that just got home ahead of her.

Click on image to download

5:57pm mom leaves while I'm processing the s'cap.

5:58pm the fish is not yet being consumed.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 08:01 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

5:52pm - Chick 2 arrives back to the nest.

Followed by Mom with a fish delivery.

wave Terrytvgal, Although our s'caps are out of order, it seems we caught all the action btw both of ours. Smile

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 08:20 PM EDT  
JudyB

Last year they had to do work on the dam that holds back the reservoir where the Ayers Island, NH, osprey nest. They waited until the chicks were old enough to be alone during the day, and capable of a bit of self-feeding, but the work couldn't wait until they migrated. The adults were spooked and fled during the day - though after a week or so Dad was dropping off fish when the crane was still, and both parents were on the nest in the early morning, and Mom was back at 5:01 pm (or whenever work stopped) to feed the chicks. The chicks were not spooked - they considered it normal. Here are two s'caps from last summer - and I will note that the crane is quite a bit further away than in looks in the s'caps - but it was huge! The second one shows Dad stopping by to deliver a fish.

And Mom and Dad returned to the same nest this spring, and successfully raised three more chicks - so the commotion did not cause them to move.

And this is from my area in Maine - this is indeed a bell buoy, and they did raise at least one chick on top of it last year, in spite of the noise of the bell, and some fairly busy boat traffic. I didn't see anyone there this year - but it was late in the season before we got the boat in, and a lot of the chicks had fledged.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: gd (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 08:25 PM EDT  
gd

great obs and scaps everyone!
Thank You
6:21pm Juvie at 12 is sitting with fish and the other at 9 is getting some rays
I was so hoping to come back and find the other chick had been released.. very sorry she hasn't been.Sad
6:23 one with fish starts to eat
t edit
those are fascinating pictures Judy b - how nature adapts!

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 08:47 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

6:43pm our chick at 12oclock is still eating from the fish mom brought
the other is still at 8oclock spot just standing and watching. this bird may be standing on a chunk of leftover fish.

OUT :hello:

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 08:47 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

Very interesting & amazing stories/photos regarding the places Osprey will nest and adapt to anything around them. Wow, I'm learning so much about this bird. Thank You for sharing everyone!

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:01 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate