Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 06:09 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

I don't think that there is anything wrong with the young osprey as she looked very healthy in Rick's pictures. I really think if she could be examined quickly and released it would be in her very best interest. No one can teach her life skills as well as her fellow osprey, she is after all a wild bird not a pet. The longer she is away from the nest the greater the chance she will be rejected, don't you think?

Anyway, I am way overdue to leave, as usual. Green LOL Glad that the cam is back up and the other two are well, getting stuffed as usual, I guess they have a bigger share now.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 06:18 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

Quote by: lilywriter

Hi Everyone,

Although you the requests on FB work, you might also want to send a polite request to osprey@enmax.com to adjust the camera. I sent them a request this morning when I knew the camera was done and it was up soon after. It is worth a try.

Thank you Christine... I just did it........

Added

4:18pm
Two chicks on the nest taking in the view
Click on image to download

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 06:34 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: lilywriter

Hi Everyone,

Although you the requests on FB work, you might also want to send a polite request to osprey@enmax.com to adjust the camera. I sent them a request this morning when I knew the camera was done and it was up soon after. It is worth a try.

That could be a good idea, so long as we don't flood their inbox with requests... I will wait a while to see what happens. If others send an email, please post that you have done so so we don't overwhelm them.

I can remember the folks at OWL being 'flooded' by well meaning posts in past years and while they appreciated the thought they didn't appreciate having to go through so much email.

And a thought to the person concerned about human activity disturbing the chicks from eating.

It helps if you keep in mind that the birds (be they ospreys or eagles or falcons ...) Choose to nest where they do. We cam 'tempt' them with nice places, but in the end the choice is up to them. If there is too much human activity in an area and it is some how interfering with their life, or if some instinct tells them to move, they will just go elsewhere in the future.

And they do!! At least we know bald eagles do. The pair at Sidney on Vancouver Island are on their 3rd nest since 2006. The winter they built their 2nd nest we were all quite stunned -- until 1/2 the tree they were using simply fell away.

I am not too worried that people are interfering with the day-to-day life of this family.

4:32pm 1 chick is still eating but has moved up to 11oclock corner.
non-eater is at about 3oclock spot and looks content just perched there.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 06:59 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

4:58pm eater seems to have eaten all the fish.
moved down to 7oclock corner and flew off the nest.

2nd chick is still at 3oclock spot.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:22 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

5:20pm a 2nd chick arrived to the nest from over 5oclock and moved to 9oclock.
no food came in as far as I can tell.

5:22pm a chick departed the nest while the board was doing my post. I took my eys off them so am not sure who left but I suspect it was the same chick that just got back to the nest.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:32 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

~ 5:28pm large black bird seen flying over the water near the shore under the nest.
missed the s'cap.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:42 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Quote by: terrytvgal

And a thought to the person concerned about human activity disturbing the chicks from eating.

It helps if you keep in mind that the birds (be they ospreys or eagles or falcons ...) Choose to nest where they do. We cam 'tempt' them with nice places, but in the end the choice is up to them. If there is too much human activity in an area and it is some how interfering with their life, or if some instinct tells them to move, they will just go elsewhere in the future.

And they do!! At least we know bald eagles do. The pair at Sidney on Vancouver Island are on their 3rd nest since 2006. The winter they built their 2nd nest we were all quite stunned -- until 1/2 the tree they were using simply fell away.

I am not too worried that people are interfering with the day-to-day life of this family.

[/p]

Ospreys will nest contentedly in some odd places. As Janet mentioned earlier, there is a nest at a cement plant in Calgary. The osprey have nested there successfully for at least 5 years but I think it is more. Their nest is on top of a piece of equipment in the middle of the plant and the equipment turns. Yes, turns with the nest on it! I think they had two chicks this year as I have seen 3 birds on the nest and one on another piece of equipment.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 07:45 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

5:41pm our lone chick is uop at 11oclock corner and I think it has found a bit of leftover fish to snack from.

Click on image to download

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:09 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate