Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 10:34 AM EDT  
JudyB

8:32 am
Mom on the nest - don't think she brought a fish. Chicks both peeping and doing a bit of mantling, but It looked to me more as if someone was getting too close. Not sure, but didn't seem like a big enough flurry for food to be involved.

Click on image to download

Added -
Glad you were paying more attention than I was, Judy - I completely missed all that! very embarrassed

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 10:54 AM EDT  
jkr

8:52 am
Two fish, two chicks, and no one is eating since the last fish arrived 22 minutes ago. Obviously they have been too well fed.

9:13 am
These two have done nothing but gaze around the area since the fish delivery.
The chick @ 4:00 with the fish in his talons has repositioned it but still not hungry. His sibling hasn't touched the old fish laying at 7:00.

Out Out to do my housework...

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 12:01 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

:hello: everyone,

There seems to be something in the area disturbing the chicks and this is probably why they are not eating, imo. They must feel threatened. I hope that it is not our ground observers coming are too close to the nest or staying too long. Oh My

Has anyone any info. on how the bird in care is doing and if and when she will be released? If it is released nearby I hope that Gerard's advice about leaving the bird in a high place and letting it fly when it is ready is adhered to.

I once came home and to my surprise a flegling Swainson's Hawk had taken shelter from a hailstorm on my front porch. It didn't fly when I came up the steps even though I was only a few feet away. I hastily beat a retreat and took my groceries in through the back door and after a half hour or so it had flown safely away.

9:49 am More calling from the bird at 4. And again at 9:58am. I can see a few magpies so hopefully that is the cause of the chick on the right's agitation. The left one has been sitting calmly most of the morning.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 12:09 PM EDT  
gd

10:06 big dark bird just flew to sandbar
10:10 magpie just made a play for the nest- missed the scap
10:13 someone is flying around the nest juvies track once around and it now seems to be gone
must go- the chick at 4 has turned about face to look inward on the nest it is 10:16 -looking forward to earing the days news later this afternoon:hello:

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: arkyquest () on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 12:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous: arkyquest

Hi all, what an exciting few days!! Just wanted to reassure our watchers that there are literally hundreds of people passing along the paths on both sides of this nest every day(but as noted previously, the closest path is about 100 metres away). It is very noisy in this area, and was especially so when I went for a quick visit on Tuesday because there were two people with industrial weed whackers/chainsaws clearing brush along the fence on the north side of the river. There's also crashing construction happening about 300 metres away where they are replacing sewer pipes under Memorial Drive. I didn't post, because it was a pretty boring visit. Two chicks sitting in the nest and no sign of any other ospreys. Perhaps the lions are roaring (the chicks' closest neighbours to the west), or the children at the zoo playground are particularly noisy? In any case, I'm sure that ground visitors cannot possibly perturb our city chicks...

Sharon

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 01:01 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Rolling on floor laughing Arky,

Thanks for posting , these birds do put up with a lot of noise, don't they?
It may have been the magpies or other bird "air traffic", and as Judy says they are not suffering from hunger - plently of ps's this morning for sure.

10:58 am
Whatever the problem was it seems to have disappeared as the chick at 4 is going at it with a vengeance now, really enjoying his fresh fish!

Total disinterest from the one at 9, laid back and enjoying the sunshine and gentle breeze. Life is good. Smile

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 01:05 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

11:04 am After finishing her fish , much flapping and a fly-off from 4.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, September 06 2012 @ 02:08 PM EDT  
jkr

12:06 pm
Chick at the 1:00 corner is eating and the second one is perched on the 7:00 corner gazing about the treed area.
I don't see a report of another fish delivery so I'm assuming this is one of the fish from earlier.

12:13 pm
Went to answer my phone and came back to see one chick on the nest.

12:16 pm
Something has our chick in defensive mode but it passed quickly and he calmed down.

12:23 pm
Lost the cam.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:22 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate