Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Rick W (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:27 PM EDT  
Rick W

If we can't band her maybe I'll take a hot pink high lighter and draw on a few head feathers. (I was kidding when I started typing this but now I'm not sure it's that bad of an idea)

thoughts???

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:29 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

Quote by: Rick W

I was going to go to the pet store and buy her a Koi, if she know what to do with a Koi then she's likely from our nest.

:idea: Hummm now I wonder... where is the Koi pond relative to the balcony where the juvie was? did it get lost trying to find the pond? Smile

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:32 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

I was going to go to the pet store and buy her a Koi, if she know what to do with a Koi then she's likely from our nest.

Awww...how sweet! If it is our chick, she may have memories of Dad while eating the Koi. :koi:

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:34 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

If we can't band her maybe I'll take a hot pink high lighter and draw on a few head feathers. (I was kidding when I started typing this but now I'm not sure it's that bad of an idea)

thoughts???

Well... seems to me nature has spent a long time getting the colouring on a osprey just so. I'd not want to mess with that just to satisfy our curiosity. I love they way you think, Rick, but its not worth somehow making the bird a possible target or it being rejected by its family -- they all seem to know who is who and feather pattern may have a lot to do with that.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:41 PM EDT  
BET

I will likely be there for the release, I will let you know where, when and photograph it all if possible.

Checking in again. RIck - regarding banding. If they do do it and I really hope they do, I know they are required to use a silver band and certain numbers ( they use to band the Calgary juvies until the gentleman who did it passed away and they never tried to find a new one - someone could nag the zoo) Anyway, what I am trying to ask is would they put one of the colored bands with a simple white number on the other leg. They are so much easier to see and identify. Hellgate chicks are a good example

Ankle Bling!!!

Click on image to download

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:42 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

Quote by: terrytvgal

thoughts???

Well... seems to me nature has spent a long time getting the colouring on a osprey just so. I'd not want to mess with that just to satisfy our curiosity. I love they way you think, Rick, but its not worth somehow making the bird a possible target or it being rejected by its family -- they all seem to know who is who and feather pattern may have a lot to do with that.

Does anything exist in terms of temporary bands? Such as paper type that can be removed fairly readily by the bird but perhaps it'll be on long enough for the juvie to return to the nest before it picks it off.

By: BET (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:47 PM EDT  
BET

REgarding the Koi pond

No one but Dad Osprey - and possibly the pond owner - knows where the secret pond is located.

A Koi for the temporarily lost juvie would be a real treat - Make her feel better about her temporary captivity. Even just a big gold fish! :koi:

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 07:02 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Thank You Rick, so great to see that such a beautiful bird is all right if a little disoriented.

What wonderful news of the rescue and great pictures too. The only thing better would be to see that she has been quickly released - I did hope that it would be immediate if not she were not injured.

I too think that we will know if it is our missing female because not only will she come to the nest she will not be rejected - certainly fought off if there is a fish involved but ultimately let be. Smile Again, the sooner she comes back the better. The koi was a cute idea, Rick.

However a band could be easily slipped on by a bander I would think as she has already been "caught". That way too if she did get into trouble again she would be recognized and maybe need further checking out. I agree with Terry about not using a marker, tempting as it is. Nodding yes Thank you again, Rick.

Now I'll be singing "Please release me, set me free", and not sleeping until I know that she is off and away. Wub

The Hellgate colour coding and numbering bands are fantastic markers as you know, BET, as we can tell the individuals apart. Not worth keeping this one in captivity for though, any band would be a good marker.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:45 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate