Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Rick W (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:12 PM EDT  
Rick W

Good question about the banding, I don't know but will ask if it could be banded, now that would be very cool to see her return to the nest with a snazzy piece of jewelry around her ankle.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Janet Preston (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:13 PM EDT  
Janet Preston

...another big thank you Rick from me. Wow what a relief. Wonder where they will release the O. Be interesting if it were near to the Zoo nest. Fantastic pics. Thanks for all the rescuing you do for Calgary Rick. I am sure there are times when the outcome is not as joyous as this one. We owe you !!
I wasnt able to get to the nest today. We drove by on Deerfoot Trail about 130pm, distant view of nest. Think there were 2 chicks on the nest at that time. I saw an O headed towards the nest area/vicinity but it was over the river approaching the black freight train bridge from the other side. So as you look down the webcam, it would have been approaching from the left.
Turned very very cool here, slight showers all afternoon and we are supposedly due for a big rainstorm. If I were an O, I would sure skip town.....
Finally saw the O nest located at 14 Street and Crowchild Trail yesterday, just up river from the Zoo nest. What an amazing location. I just have to figure out where to park close.
We are so spoilt. Another O nest at the Burnco plant beside Deerfoot Trail and 2 nests on the construction platforms at Lafarge further south on Deerfoot, then the platform nest corner of Highway 22x and Macleod Trail. I have a circle route !!!...

"Laughter is Gods' sunshine"
Forum

Calgary

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Gerard () on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:17 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Gerard

Yes,great work and i'll bet when she gets released,she will be back in that nest within minutes,i mean,it's just too close in timing to be any other,
until then i guess they'll give her a trout and momma gets a two day break,all in all
thats pretty good.Oh yes and i bet her momma knew where she was,but what could she do.i hope this night goes well for her and thank-you
Rick.Bet! i loved seeing the migration routes,all inland most of the way,so many
juvies on the east at times just fly amazing distances over water,rather the ocean all the way to Cuba and further as docuemented by the
migration team that Jazzel is on.

By: Rick W (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:19 PM EDT  
Rick W

I will likely be there for the release, I will let you know where, when and photograph it all if possible.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: luvtheO's () on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous: luvtheO's

Quote by: Rick W

Good question about the banding, I don't know but will ask if it could be banded, now that would be very cool to see her return to the nest with a snazzy piece of jewelry around her ankle.

Wouldn't that be incredible to know for sure if it was OUR chick you rescued by seeing the 'snazzy piece of jewelry around her ankle' giggle TOO FUNNY!

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:23 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

4:18pm the chick at the 7oclock corner is eating his fish and the other is looking out over 3oclock spot. the water continues to have a still, glassy-grey look to it.

very quiet at the sandbar. no dark birds out there at all.

Thank you Rick for reporting on the rescued osprey. If they tend not to do well in captivity, I'm thinking that the extra time and physical contact involved in a banding could be unnecesarily stressful for the bird.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Rick W (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:24 PM EDT  
Rick W

I was going to go to the pet store and buy her a Koi, if she know what to do with a Koi then she's likely from our nest.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Wednesday, September 05 2012 @ 06:26 PM EDT  
IrishEyes

:hello:All

THank you Rick.... Your pictures are awesome Clapping.... what a beautiful young Osprey.... you must be thrilled to be able to help her out...

Bet..Have a wonderful trip....

Wow! We had bad thunder and lightening here....fingers crossed it is over...Phew

4:23pm
Two Osprey chicks on the nest.. one is eating a nice size fish at 7
Click on image to download

4:25pm
Click on image to download

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:38 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate