Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 03:34 PM EDT  
BET

Gerard

Hi! again, you watching at work? Again, thank you for helping us all to learn more about these great O's They really are remarkable creatures - gorgeous physically to look at and spectacular to observer their lifestyle.

By the by- has anyone seen the third chick today? Two fish deliveries this noon time and only two juvies? Migration time is upon us

1:15pm second fish delivery and the waiting juvie gets this one without contest

Mom delivers
Click on image to download

Juvie smothers Mom while securing the fish

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 03:36 PM EDT  
gd

I think I saw three on the scaps that jkr took this am Bet but I haven't for the past 1 and half hours that I've been watching-
1:41 both are eating now
must go now,Out look forward to reading all the posts, bye

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 03:56 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

There were three present when the first fish came in just after 8 am, they all stayed for some time but I noted that at 8:43 am only two were present on the nest. I have not seen three at any time after that but that is not to say that the two here now were the same two that were here all morning.

When the fish was successfully stolen, I believe, at 9:11am the first eater eventually flew off and I think the one that flew in sometime later and made a steal attempt at 9:40 am was different but really unless we have some kind of marker how can we tell? They look different in the changing light and their position on the nest.

Maybe you could review your tape at 9:11 am to see if the fish was stolen and then at 9:20 am when the loser was on the rim at 5. I thought that she had a sore right talon then, BET, as she wanted to put it down but didn't.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 04:05 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

2:01 pm One still eating at 8 now and the other just standing at 4. I was looking back and may have missed a steal attempt, did anyone see? I thought that there was a flutter of wings at least five min. ago and I hope that the big fish wasn't stolen but there seems to be a lot of fish under the osprey at 8. Very interesting and I hope someone was here to see what happened. I am way overdue to take off.Out

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 04:29 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

No, the osprey at 7 now is still eating her own fish, the other one finally moved on her perch at 4 showing the fish largely uneaten in her possession.
These chicks are certainly well-supplied with food by momma. I do hope that you are right, Gerard, and she will not leave them.

Mom came back on April 16th a few days before the male and started working on the nest alone so it has been quite the year for her. If you check out the first page you will see a map showing where on the river the nest lies and you'll also see that the nest has to be built from scratch every year, otherwise the geese who are here earlier start nesting there. Luckily she is young and healthy as is the river or we wouldn't be seeing this happy outcome here.Wub

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 05:49 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

3:47pm lone chick on the nest at 12oclock

Thanks, JD, for the info about the geese. I wondered why the photo in the first post showed just a bare box... now I know.

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 06:12 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

After looking back and having a quick read through of the day's comments, I'd like to thank Gerard for his observations of the osprey in his area. If there is anything we have learned by watching the eagle and other raptor cams, it's that there seems to be more variability in behaviours than one would imagine.

I may well have missed it as I am late to this nest, but have any of our ground observers observed the classsic 'dive and catch' technique for fishing Gerard describes? Perhaps, as jkr? (I think that was you, Judy) suggests, there are different strategies for different hunting locations and conditions.

4:06pm our chick has moved from 12 to 7oclock draging the remains of his fish with him

4:07pm mom in

sibling? on the wing

a 2nd chick in

4:10pm a nice chunk of fish being eaten at 9oclock spot. can't tell if the head is gone or not

4:11pm I saw a black streak fly by below the nest and mom took off down and away screen right

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, September 04 2012 @ 06:33 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

From 4:10ish... mom's nice fish is just visible under foot of chick at 9oclock

4:31pm still 2 chicks on the nest and both are eating.
1 has the fish mom brought and 1 is eating the fish he had before mom arrived.

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:11 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate