The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 11:22 AM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks, Judy! I was trying for a picture of the fish coming in, so what I actually caught was a happy surprise to me as well. Smile

Have a good day!

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 11:36 AM EDT  
lilywriter

9:35 am.

Maybe if I get really, really close and stare at him, I will get some fish.

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 12:32 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Good morning, Gerard, Judy, JudyB and Christine,

Great reports and s'caps and marvelous obs, Judy. I'm pretty sure that the osprey you caught landing at 8:43 am was wet and had been fishing.

Thanks for the fish info., appparently it is a challenge even for experienced anglers to tell the species apart without studying a chart, and this is when tested with clear colour pictures so good luck everyone!

Lots of action as I was posting elsewhere - of course! It started with Mom bringing the fish in at 9:59 am, contested in the left riverside corner and won by 10:05 am and taken to 9 on the nest. The non-contestant later flew off.

The winner began to eat at 8, closely watched by the loser at 7.
At 10:11 the steal was on and after a talon on talon battle the prize went to the challenger if I finally saw rightly.

Our loser whom I think is our last-born is crying now and looking longingly at his lost breakfast as big sister eats on at 4.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 12:39 PM EDT  
gd

Good morning Calgary:
10:30chick at 5 eating remains of fish while chick in centre asks him to leave some for him.
10:34 now the eater has stopped and I can't see the fish he must be standing on it, but he has moved to the edge- still not sharing- centre chick has wandered to 12 and has his back turned I'm starting to wonder if the one at 12 managed to snag fish while I was typing-still can't see the fish even now at 10:39Puzzled
10:40 No chick at 4 still has fish - just not eating- the one at 12 just made a move to get it and was turned away- and he tried again- no go

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 12:44 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Fishie, fishie, where is the fishie? :hello: GD and welcome back!

I hope that it didn't go over the side.

eta Oh, you saw it, now I do too, thanks.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: gd (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 12:46 PM EDT  
gd

Hi bluebird -thanks- good to be back-wave fish is there in the taunter's right talon- hard to see though
10: 59am While these guys are puppy guarding the nest there seems to be a party down on the sandbar- lots of birds and activity
have to go now- no change 11:02am holder of fish at 4 and hungry between centre and 9

Forum

Vancouver BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 01:17 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Looking back at this morning's posts I'm thinking that the osprey that you saw fishing, Judy, at 8:32 am, the one who touched down as he was taking off, may have been the youngster you caught coming in at 8:43 am. If so that is wonderful!

I was concerned about all the time the chicks are spending on the nest until I realized that they have a ring-side seat here and will learn a lot by watching the action below before making their first forays into the "great unknown".

It certainly can't be an easy skill to learn and it is a wonder any of them can accomplish the feat so soon after fledging.

11:15 am Pretty dull in the nest now, as dull as the skies above at the moment. No movement to speak of, our birds are as in your last s'cap, gd.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Monday, September 03 2012 @ 01:21 PM EDT  
Jean

11:17am.........Good morning gd, JD, Christine, JudyB and Judy! There are still 2 remaining chicks on the nest. Chicks?? Looking at their size now, it is hard to think of them as chicks! When I compare their size with pictures of Mom it is easy to see that they are way bigger than her now. It is time for these young ones to start fending for themselves so that Mom can regenerate herself and be on her way.

Christine, loved the "staring" s'cap! Green LOL

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:27 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate