The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 02:20 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Woo hoo! Fish delivery at 12:12 pm Chicks flew in and had a minor skirmish just before as they must have seen it coming, then a duel between two of them for the fish and it was won by the young osprey at 4. Still mantling and now eating at 12:17 pm . Moved fish to 3 and still mantling while other two look on.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 02:36 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

I would like to see that again!. At 12:25 pm our fish and eater were still near 3 as one envious chick looked on. Then at 12:28 in came the other chick who bombarded the nest and I believe was successful -yes - in stealing at least part of the fish.

The thief is the one eating at 11, I believe while the rest of the fish has been taken to 4 to be consumed.

eta
*Nota Bene See BET's following explanation of this action! The original owner of the fish retained most of it by carrying it off the nest, hence its journey up to the 10:30 corner of the nest, and the theft was unsuccessful so my above observations are incorrect.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 02:41 PM EDT  
lilywriter

Quote by: Bluebird1

I would like to see that again!. At 12:25 pm our fish and eater were still near 3 as one envious chick looked on. Then at 12:28 in came the other chick who bombarded the nest and I believe was successful -yes - in stealing at least part of the fish.

The thief is the one eating at 11, I believe while the rest of the fish has been taken to 4 to be consumed.

Hi JD,

That is what I thought I saw but thought I imagined it or missed some part of the action. Thanks for relating what you saw.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 02:43 PM EDT  
BET

Morning All - Well after lunch in Calgary. I am not watching much as I am getting things ready to leave on a short trip next Thurs. But, I did note the recent fish delivery (also recording)

12:02 pm
An empty nest and suddenly a chick lands immediately followed by the second. They wander the nest - poking in the sticks for tidbits.

12:12pm
Third chick arrives and all three look towards the left and then back up to clear the landing pad
Click on image to download

And here she comes with what looks like a modest size fish

She lands long and is immediately divested of her gift and - wise Osprey that she is - takes off - A touch and go

PS: Gerard, this Mom's usual departure is around Sept 7 Dad was around the 15/17.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 02:47 PM EDT  
BET

12:13pm

The chick at the 5:00 corner was the first to possess the fish

Chick at 6/7 was not going to let it stay that way Chick at the back just stayed out of the fracas

First was the beak vs beak tugging battle

Then the 5:00 won - but not for long The under attack

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 02:50 PM EDT  
BET

12:13pm

Then came the beak vs talon/leg tugging war. I don't know if the leg chick is the same one that was drug about last night, but That has to be one sore leg! which ever one it belongs to.

The leg won - drug the fish to the corner and mantled it while eating

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 03:08 PM EDT  
BET

The fish winning chick moved up to the 3:00 spot as she was eating her fish. The chick that had stayed out of the fray, the one on the back rim started moving in towards the fish.

12:25pm
Chick with fish moved up to the 1:30 corner and the back rim chick made his move

Fish Chick decided enough already! Took off with the fish

Two chicks left on the nest. The original challenger staying in the 4:30 spot while Back Rim moved to the 3:00 spot - picking for left over bits

12:27pm
Fish Owner returns with the fish in her talons. I guess she couldn't find a place to her liking to eat it - so back to the big table

Back rim made a half hearted attempt but without success. Fish Owner ate the entire fish while crouched at the 10:30 corner

BET

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 03:51 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Great analysis and s'caps from the video, BET. I knew that it was too fast for me but I certainly missed that the original owner of the fish kept it. I did see two eating on the nest for quite a few minutes after the fly-off and return at 12:28 though so I do think that part of the fish was lost on the steal attempt and some of the fish was unwillingly shared. Smile

Thanks for all your hard work, we will miss you while you are away next Thurs!

Like others who post here I also wish that the three beauties on the nest would go on more fishing excursions with Mom. They have certainly learned from her how to defend their home territory exceedingly well but when and how they will make out without Mom is worriesome.

Maybe Mom will resist her instincts to take off this week on migration, but for how long?

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:53 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate