Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: golden1 (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 09:14 AM EDT  
golden1

7:10 3 chicks on the nest and one has the fish. One is moving in to try a snatch. We have beautiful golden light on the nest this morning.

Click on image to download

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 09:52 AM EDT  
lilywriter

7:50 am wave Good morning.

Everyone still at home. The chicks look like they did not want to get up this morning. I know the feeling.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 09:53 AM EDT  
jkr

Good Morning. :hello:
I only have time for a quick peek at the nest this morning.
It is nice to see all the chicks home but I wish they'd do some hunting.

7:34 am

8:06 am
The chick at 12:00 has resumed eating.
I am assuming since all three are on the nest that Mom must have made an early morning delivery.

8:27 am
The one is still eating while the other two watch but haven't tried to steal his fish.

8:47 am
A fish fight.
All three got into the action and one managed to steal the fish and he has moved it to the 3:00 side of the nest to eat.

Regarding the objects on the nest. They certainly do look like river rocks. Could it be that the chicks brought them in when they were learning to grab and fly with fish in their talons ? I can't think of any other reason they'd be on the nest.

There was also mention that the fish deliveries were slowing down yesterday. In actual fact, there has been way more fish deliveries over the past week than what was usual when Dad was the food supplier this time of year. The occasional fish would come in but nothing like what Mom has been supplying. She has been an over-indulgent parent but that could be to compensate for the lack of being able to take over for Dad in teaching these three to fish the way he did.
I have no worries about these three. They will migrate and they will learn to hunt. They probably can already do that, but it's so much easier when Mom brings home the bacon. Titter

Out I am out for most of the day. I hope I can pop in later. I'm going into "osprey withdrawl".

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: IrishEyes (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 10:55 AM EDT  
IrishEyes

:hello:all..Thank you Judy jkr for your post and the clarification that they are river rocks on the nest..... It great to know about last season..and i agree..it is time these three did some fishing and or at least out trying too... Mom has been over compensating... Bless her heart.... she had a lot on her plate after Dad was gone..:cry1:
8:47am
One chick is eating the fish..other chick is close by... waiting to steal it
8:48am
And That he did

ADDED

8:59am

I had to leave...came back to see the fish thief eating at 3...other two chicks are still on the nest

Out

Helpful Hints Be respectful ..Bev !

Forum

Nova Scotia,Canada.

Profile     PM

By: Jean (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 12:18 PM EDT  
Jean

10:16pm..........A moment ago there was only 1 chick here......Now there are 3! Waiting for breakie I suppose. Sure hope they start hunting more often, too, so that Mom gets a break and is able to look after herself properly.

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Gerard () on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 12:29 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Gerard

One chick still eating and there was some major vocalizations due to a intruder,they were looking up and screaming a lot,there were two juvies on the nest at that time.Then one left and they,the other two
flew in together while the other one was eating.I understand and respect you all when it's comes to whether momma is being helped or not,but if she was,i would expect her to receive the offerings off the nest
and deliver them herself as the maybe,maybe not helpful male has no
connection directly at all with the juvies except what instincts or rather their job of providing the fish is always within the male.However!
if this momma is doing it all herself and her size shows that she is indeed fishing and staying past her departure time,well then
i could only say,what she is doing is nothing less then spectacular,a true
show of diligence and strength within a tough natural world,i'm amazed! of course i still think she has a boyfriendGrin

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 01:24 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

Quote by: Gerard

One chick still eating and there was some major vocalizations due to a intruder,they were looking up and screaming a lot,there were two juvies on the nest at that time.Then one left and they,the other two
flew in together while the other one was eating.

:hello: Hi everyone,

This sounds like it may have happened around 10:13-14am, Gerard. I was watching then and saw the one chick fly right over the other who was eating at 3 and then it came back and the third chick flew in too. At 10:14 there were also a pair of kayakers heading downstream. BET likes us to put in the local time so she doesn't have to go completely blind while viewing her tape, and we don't want to lose her!

But there was also some mantling at 9:36am and calling then too and a third chick flew into the pole area behind the nest and didn't leave until 9:47.

At 11:14 am there are still three on the nest - one still eating at 8 with two standing close by but facing the river. I just saw two large birds flying over the river, one may have flown out from this side of the river.

11:21 am Middle chick looks at eater and chats a bit, looks at the fish but no sharing yet!

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: lilywriter (offline) on Sunday, September 02 2012 @ 01:51 PM EDT  
lilywriter

11:50 am Two chicks on the nest when one flew off and headed for the sandbar while the other one stayed on the nest to eat. I can see the one sitting at the bar.

added:

11:55 am. The fire department patrol boat sped by and the chick at the bar flew away.

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 10:52 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate