The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Darlene (offline) on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 09:08 AM EDT  
Darlene

7:07 one chick on the nest working on the large fish

eta: 7:11 looked up and second chick now on the nest and grabbed the other small fish that was sitting in the back right corner of the nest.

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Gerard () on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 09:27 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Gerard

I always felt,basically 100 % that another male was providing,and i feel definitely a new male as the other guy always was
fishing KOI,these fish lately are massive.I also feel that it's feels natural
that the new male has been observed every day by the juvies and there had to be a time when the new male would come
to the nest,as it has done yesterday.
I also feel that when the male shows that he will come to the nest to provide for the juvies that it will be only days before
momma departs,however due to the loss of the residing
male,she may hang on to make sure this pass over of duties to the new male is definite.I f the new male brings fish to
the nest today,then i feel that momma is gonna leave.
The intruder juvie,i have no doubts that if this juvie has lost it's providers,momma and the new male by instinct will help
that juvie and bring that juvie fish,although chances are much higher
that it will be the new male,schools,massive schools of fish are migrating up rivers to breed,so a good time for fishing,a
good time for juvies to learn to catch fish,and the best piece
of happiness is i have not seen the juvie with the weak head bend displaying that anymore,so they are well taken care of
and well nourished.They say the harder the lessons,as these juvies have experienced
the better the chance for their survival upon their migration,their hard days may lead to survival lessons that well provided
juvies with no stress will never learn,these juvies in my book
have learned all the hard lessons,and will take these skills with them when they depart.What an amazing turn around of
events.

By: lilywriter (offline) on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 09:40 AM EDT  
lilywriter

7:37 am Two on the nest having breakfast of left over fish

Click on image to download

Christine

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 10:10 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Hi Everyone!

It is so great to see them doing so well as Gerard stated. Christine I hope you do get out there just for the fun of seeing what is happening. In a tough world for ospreys it is great to see this other juvie being provided for by mom too, if that is the case.

That the male was accepted begins to make sense if they were being fed by this male. I really do hope he can teach them fishing.

What an exciting nest from worries to feasting on the nest. Thanks everyone for the incredible reports! jkr I know you can hardly wait to get back to see later.
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 10:17 AM EDT  
JudyB

8:13 am
Just came back to my desk to see an adult on the nest, and it looks as if she's feeding the chick on the right (I say she because it's very rare for males to feed chicks once they're more than a couple of weeks old).

Zoomed in a bit in an attempt to get a look at the head markings.

Adult definitely has brown "necklace" of feathers on her chest. I haven't seen any unusual tail feathers yet.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 10:26 AM EDT  
JudyB

8:23 am
I think the adult is now eating a fish at the 3 o'clock position. Here are a few more pics for ID

It's amazing what a good look at her markings she provides when I'm typing and can't reach for my mouse to s'cap!

8:37 am
The adult flew off a couple of minutes ago. I was busy (and she was fast) so I didn't get a s'cap, but it looked to me as if there was one dark feather in the middle of her tail, similar to what we were seeing yesterday - here's one of BET's pictures from yesterday showing the dark feather in the middle:

I did not see the barred feather in the tail at any time - the tail looked dark every time I was able to see it while the adult was on the nest.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 10:43 AM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Sorry, but I am totally confused? The adult is female, right? Is there also an adult male that was on nest or was that corrected?

You know it could be one of mom's from another year - that's a great speculation.
carolyn
eta Is the adult mom? Or another female and possibly her chick with her? Help emo

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Wednesday, August 29 2012 @ 10:55 AM EDT  
JudyB

Carolyn, I think the adult that was there this morning and just left a few minutes ago was female. She looked a bit more rounded and seemed almost as big as the chicks. Also, females do feed fledglings occasionally - the same as with eagles - but I don't think I've ever seen a male feed chicks this old. Males are smaller, and fledglings are aggressive when it comes to food - so for their own safety, males normally get off the nest as fast as possible after delivering food. Also, this adult had brown feathers on her chest - what we call a necklace. I don't know the percentages, but do know it's much more common for adult females to have that than for adult males, though there are some males with necklaces, so it's not proof positive of gender, but provides a good guess. Necklaces are fairly common in chicks of both genders, so it really doesn't even provide an indication about gender when you're discussing chicks.

Yesterday there was a male on the nest. He was smaller, and had a white chest - no necklace. I don't know that he's been back today - if he has, I haven't seen him. Hope that helps.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:03 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate