The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: Woodlands Bleu (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 08:25 PM EDT  
Woodlands Bleu

Wow All Y'all......

This just gets more and more fascinating. Now we have this nest being the congregation point for feeding with even a 4th juvie coming in?

Lots of new territory is being covered - 4th juvie, possible new mate for the female (that would be a great development to make her life easier) and well fed chicks!

Thank you everyone for keeping track (somehow) of the mess of wings and talons, fish and chicks, adults and visitors. What fun!
carolyn

Choose joy.......
Since Sept 2009.
carolyn

Forum

The Woodlands, TX

Profile     PM

By: terrytvgal (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 08:27 PM EDT  
terrytvgal

6:21pm chick at 3oclock is flapping and what not while holding his fish and having a poopshot

Click on image to download

6:28pm OUT Phew

I came for the eagles, and stayed for the friends I made

Terry, Coquitlam BC

Forum

Coquitlam, BC

Profile     PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 08:47 PM EDT  
Darlene

Interesting activity this afternoon, I couldn't wait to get home and check on this nest. Fabulous video Kay! At 4:35 into your video there was also another large bird that flew past the nest while both adults were on the nest.

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: Darlene (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 09:08 PM EDT  
Darlene

7:05 The cam froze on me and when I got it back up adult is on the nest and there are 2 visible fish on the nest and one of the chicks eating also!Clapping

The chicks do seem a little on edge and neither of the other 2 are going for the 2 fish on the nest.

7:10 Adult has grabbed the smaller fish and is eating.

Darlene, Langley, BC
aka Eaglelover1923
aka lovethebabies

Forum Admin
Admin

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 09:10 PM EDT  
JudyB

Thanks so much, BET and sassyk! I am glad that you got a picture of the other large bird near the nest while both adults were there - I really did get the impression that there was at least a 50/50 chance that both adults took off after an intruder, and now I see that might be possible.

7:02 pm
Adult in at 6:59:50, I think with a large fish.

There were two chicks on the nest when the adult arrived, and the third came in a minute or two later. I'm guessing that this is Mom because she looks fairly rounded - but am noticing the striped feather on her tail - so maybe not.

7:08 pm
(Called away mid post - sorry) - The chicks were on alert for a while after the adult and fish arrived, but now one is eating the big fish. Adult just went over and took the partial fish that was sitting there . Need a new post for more s'caps....

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 09:11 PM EDT  
golden1

Oh my! That was an eventful sequence of events. Looks like mom's fishing ability is attracting many new comers.

BET thanks for the comparison of Dad and the Male today....I am hoping that this is a new mate for mom and that he has been helping her. But you are right it is hard to tell.

I will try to keep an eye on the nest early tomorrow morning and maybe some tonight.

This is just so fascinating.

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 09:14 PM EDT  
BET

6:58pm

Mom brings in a new fish

An abundance of fishes. Chick at 7:00 spot abandons a half of a fish to take the new one

Third chick returns home, but does not try to take the fish so the chick at 7:00 spot has a whole new fish and half an old fish

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Tuesday, August 28 2012 @ 09:14 PM EDT  
JudyB

7:11 am
Chicks are looking up, and the chick with the large fish (that I think is new) is mantling; adult is standing next to it, eating the leftover fish. Mantling chick (at lower left - 7:00 position) is looking up while mantling, not at the adult.

The other two chicks are at the top of the nest, watching something off the nest but not actively mantling, perhaps because they may have finished their fish.

Added -
Glad you're here, BET - I thought the adult looked large and somewhat rounded - like Mom - but had not noticed the striped feather sticking out on her tail before. Perhaps she caught up with whoever was in their airspace earlier.

7:16 pm
It looks as if Mom is also calling - or at least she's looking around quite a bit while she continues to eat.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 08:52 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate