Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: BET (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 03:30 PM EDT  
BET

12:53 - 1:05pm

A 12 minute marathon struggle for the fish that Mom had brought in at 11:40am

The two non- eaters got tired of waiting. One moved in to try to take the fish and the other moved in from the other side

A three way flurry of wings
Click on image to download

The fish - withstanding being tugged in three directions

Chick on the back side, dropped back and watched the other two in what was literally a stale mate. Each had an end of the fish firmly gripped in a talon. They tugged until they collapsed. Rested - still gripping the fish - and tugged some more. Chick on the back took off, flew right back on but landed at the front rim. He stayed out of the fray. Picked up a few bits out of the nest sticks that had been dropped earlier.

At one point the original owner was so worn out - she literally splayed out over the nest bowl but did not release her grip on the fish.

Finally, the aggressor gave up and the original owner drug the fish to the back of the nest to eat under the ever watchful eyes of the siblings.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: golden1 (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 03:33 PM EDT  
golden1

1:30 And after that is all sorted out 1 chick has the fish at 12. The sparkling water is really pretty....what a nice place for a nest (aside from the high tension wires, that is)

BET great pics of the squabble over food.

I am out for the rest of the afternoon...have a wedding to attend....happy day!

2009 ~ Donna ~ Colorado

Forum

colorado

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 03:50 PM EDT  
jkr

Lots of drama on the nest today from the sounds of it. Thanks for the commentary and pictures BET and Gerard.

1:49 pm
The trio are perched looking toward the river.

1:55 pm
The chicks are all stirred up about something they're watching. Must be another bird flying about that they don't like in their space.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 03:51 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

wave Donna,

Enjoy your wedding. Yes, the Bow is a beautiful river, it just didn`t show its true self most of the summer due to all the snow and rain this spring. Thank goodness it cleared up just in time for Mom to secure all those fish for her youngsters.

We could have used another fish or two this morning though, what a fracas! Don't Panic
Glad that you caught that, BET, and were able to sort it out, thanks for the s`caps. I hope that the feather damage one chick seemed to suffer on her left wing is not too great, maybe just a misalignment.

I had not been on long before the fish fight broke out - thanks, McAfee Bash computer - so missed the morning and thank you, Judy, Donna, JudyB, Gerard and BET for your posts and s`caps. There seems to be a truce in effect now at 1:50 pm as our eater rests with talons on her prize.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 04:00 PM EDT  
jkr

1:57 pm
Fish delivery.
The chick at 9:00 claimed the fish.

1:58
Mom flew off.
Hard to see in the shadows but it looks like one big thick fish that chick is protecting. I wish I could see it more clearly.

2:02 pm
Eating the fish at the 7:00 corner.
The chick at 5:00 eyes him up occasionally but is staying well away. The one at 1:00 isn't interested at all --- Is he the one that ate earlier ?

Out I am out again. BBL

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: BET (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 04:09 PM EDT  
BET

1:57pm

Super Mom inbound with another fish

The loser of the marathon gets this one

Note the third chick has a displaced feather from his part in the marathon. Maybe we can keep track of him for awhile

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 04:42 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

2:29 pm The chick at 1 finally felt safe enough to get up and begin eating his fish, quickly followed by the owner of the first and largest fish at 7. Poor funny feather has none.Sad
and has made no attempt to go after the others who are enjoying their meals at 2:40 pm.

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Saturday, August 25 2012 @ 04:49 PM EDT  
Jean

2:45pm..........The same 2 lets continue to eat their food. The 3rd one looks like it is pretending to not notice that the others are there with food. With 2 fish in the nest maybe there will be enough leftovers for this 3rd little one! These chicks were out all night........kind of reminds me of older teenagers/young folk...........they always return home for the food! But they will soon need to learn the lesson of growing up..........they will have to provide for themselves eventually.

The chick at 7 is taking a break from eating...........but not giving up his food yet. Although as humans we would like to see the chicks sharing their food so that everyone gets some, it is good that they have developed strong instincts to protect their food. Good for future survival!! Boaters are passing by on the river.

:hello:Hello JD and anyone else who has visited today!

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:47 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate