Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Raptor Cams - Other than Eagles.
 Calgary, Alberta - 2012
 |  Printable Version
By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 11:29 AM EDT  
JudyB

9:27 am

Two chicks on the nest. Looks like a lovely day in Calgary.

Click on image to download

Saw a poop shot by the chick on the right - sounds as if they are all doing well in that department. Smile

I'll be in and out today - our for a while now.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: BET (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 01:07 PM EDT  
BET

10:52am

So far a peaceful morning. A man was working a weedeater along the fence line. 3 chicks just watched from the nest. Chick 3 I think - was the winner of the fish that Mom delivered around 8:30. He is still working on it - no hurry on his part - learned from watching 2 yesterday? Just stand on it and don't share!!!

I have to go to town - groceries are calling - will leave the recorder going so note time if there is any exciting events.

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Jean (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 01:15 PM EDT  
Jean

11:11am........2 chicks on the nest. No one is eating so I imagine all the food is gone now. Great to see Mom deliver this morning. Yes, these chicks need to start to become more independent. Mom has done a great job, considering the circumstances. And on top of having to fish for the chicks, she still needs to take care of herself. How much longer do you all think she will stay? And the chicks.............when do you think they will go?

:hello:Good morning BET, Judy, JudyB, and golden1!!

Volunteers do not necessarily have the time;............they have the heart..........Elizabeth Andrew

Forum

Langley, BC

Profile Email   PM

By: jkr (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 02:43 PM EDT  
jkr

12:42 pm
Just checking in. Can't stay because I'm in the middle of a paint job.
All the chicks are on the nest at the moment.

~Judy~

Forum

Beautiful B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Bluebird1 (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 02:43 PM EDT  
Bluebird1

:hello: Hello again everyone, and thank you for the wonderful s'caps, reports and photos of the nest over the past near-week that I have been away. It took me ages to read back and it was so wonderful to see that Mom has been able to feed her large family so well on her own. A special thank you to Christine for your excellent ground reports and pictures and welcome to our new ground observer, Rick. I am glad that you are aware that coming too close to the nest may prevent Mom from feeding her young, and everyone
should respect her space.

Jean I believe that Mom usually leaves during the first week of Sept. and Dad closer to mid-Sept. but we will have to wait and see this year. Hopefully she will be able to build up enough fat reserves herself to make the journey safely and return. The oslets look well but I too hope that they learn to fish on their own soon, this is also where the loss of Dad is greatly missed.

BET, I saw Mom on the nest at 11:24 am eating a fish or part of one, and feeding one young. Another came charging in around 11:30 but Mom held her ground. You will want to look at your tape here and perhaps a bit before until 11:36 when Mom left. At 11:34 am Mom and all three young were on the nest, a lovely sight indeed.

12:37 pm Three youngsters are still on the nest, there had been two when I checked at 12:12 pm and the third came in at 12:16 at quite the speed and not the most graceful of landings.:p

J D

Calgary

Forum

Calgary, AB

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 03:10 PM EDT  
JudyB

Welcome back, J D! And thanks for the info - I do hope Mom stays a little later this year

I'm doing a lot of popping in and out today.

This is from 11:34 am - I'm afraid I wasn't able to keep watching so don't know if there was a fish.

And this is from around noon - not sure what the white square near the bottom is, but it was gone next time I looked.

And now (1:05 pm) all three are huddled together calling - don't know if they see Mom with a fish, or if there's an intruder nearby - but they're clearly reacting to something.

1:11 pm
Alert is over - all three are looking around, but don't seem concerned.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 04:16 PM EDT  
JudyB

2:12 pm

I think there was a fish delivery....

Interesting that two of them are very invested in mantling and counter-mantling, while the third is strolling about the perimeter, I suspect hoping to see the fish's tail and slip it out from under their noses, so to speak.

Three minutes later and they're still at it. I'm very glad all three are flying as otherwise I'd worry that one would be knocked off the nest.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Thursday, August 23 2012 @ 04:24 PM EDT  
JudyB

2:16 pm

Looks like a fairly large fish

The one at the upper right has it, but the other one isn't willing to stop trying yet.

Not sure, but I think it was the two bigger ones who were tussling, and the smaller one who was keeping out of the way. Though I'm not sure. I am sure that the losing contestant is one of the bigger chicks - and she's now standing right next to Mom, chirpling for fish. Until Mom gave her "the look" and she backed off a bit.

It must be a tricky balance - Mom needs to make sure the chicks get enough food to build up their strength and stamina for migration, not to mention the fact that it takes fledglings a lot of tries to catch each fish, which also uses a lot of energy. But Mom also needs to encourage them to chase her around and watch her fish, in the hopes of being the first to claim the fish she catches.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:53 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate