:hello:

"what you send is what you get"

Forum

the Netherlands

Profile Email   PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 03:39 PM EST  
yalitldevl

thanks Judy for showing up here! now that it's all as clear as mud....Green LOL

don't post anything here till we can gather together all mods and hear from the horses mouth "top dogs and admins" what we can and cannot post and how to post it.

This will not be solved overnight and there's no reason we can't carry on chatting and having fun without having to always be posting "things"

out for real, this is making my blood boil Out

I would rather spend my life close to the birds than wishing I had wings

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: grateful (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 04:07 PM EST  
grateful

Lori, good plan. We sure do not want anymore problems with copyright issues. NO

We are all good chatters, don't need graphics, cards, etc, to get our message across. love

Nancy

Forum

Lakeland, FL

Profile Email   PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 04:09 PM EST  
JudyB

Not sure if this will stir up the mud or help clarify things, but here's a post from Richard Pitt that I just added to the thread on copyright issues in the Rules and Guidelines forum in the Welcome area:

From Richard Pitt:

A "minor" reiteration of the basics of copyright as it pertains to HWF's web site:

1 - if you take the picture, you control where it can be posted

2 - if someone else took the picture - they control where it can be posted which is subject to:
-- a - if the picture is hosted on a site (such as HWF) and was legitimately put there either by the originator or through some license by them and there are no other notes to the contrary, then the copyright policies of that web site govern - in HWF's case this is the Creative Commons attribution non-commercial share-alike license (Canadian) that is shown at the bottom of every page. This means:
----- I - the license must allow the image to be posted to a site that has ads on it (HWF's site does from time to time)
----- II - the image MUST be accompanied by appropriate ownership and copyright noticed - especially if it is even a little bit different from the one on HWF's site
----- III - The rules we follow are for Canada as the site itself is hosted in Canada - but at least some recognition that the originator is from some other jurisdiction should be noted and THEIR rules heeded if they are radically different from Canada's

-- b - if the picture is accompanied by separate copyright notice (from the web site's default one) then that license rules
-- c - if there are no copyright notices in evidence at all - then DO NOT COPY as we can't take a chance - unless you can figure out who the owner is and contact them separately
-- d - pictures found on search engines should not be copied from the search engine site - go back to the original site, read the copyright rules there and heed them, not the search engine's rules.

3 - if what you took is a "screen cap" of a video stream (you took it from the stream running on your own computer) then the image may fall under "fair use" or "fair dealing" in that it is only a small part of the overall copyrighted work (one frame out of millions) and it can be illustrative of a "news" item that you are writing about. Note the "may" above depends on what it is you use the scap for - if you simply post it without any comment then unless the whole thread (i.e. other people's posts too) are about this "news" then we're on mildly shaky ground. If you post some comment that YOU wrote then we're fine.

Similar rules for video, audio, reports and anything else that is covered by copyright. This specifically applies to copying the text of someone else's news report. We should paraphrase and editorialize and refer - not just copy wholesale. This specifically means DON'T COPY THE HTML that underlies the original page - it breaks our page and shows that no care was taken to heed copyright at all.

Personally - I try to NEVER cut/paste anything directly from the source site to our site - I always save the image to a file on my computer and may edit it if only to resize it or crop it slightly. It pretty much ensures that the image name will be different too (I tend to eliminate spaces and upper-case letters, etc.). This also guards against my copying the underlying text formatting and such and encourages me to paraphrase and re-write the content so it is not direct copyright violation.

Please post this widely

richard

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 04:22 PM EST  
yalitldevl

Thank you sweet Nanc love

Ohhh Judy!! bless your heart for posting that here! Wub hug

yeesh...

now I'm going to really really cloud the issue again although Richard does a fine job explaining that this applies to all of us!!

I had to join satisfaction.com just to get to ask a question but I did it. Now with their stuff when I clicked on a card it said "grab the card" which meant I could right click and save then it says the important word.... OR....copy the code. That doesn't say to me that I have to use to the code, that says I can use the code OR 'grab the card'. Now here's the rub...we all agree that those glittery things are annoying (well I know most of us do) so instead of grab if you take a scap of it to my mind there's no difference given that you are offered the choice. Now this needs to be asked of Richard Judyb if you would so kindly

ETA - Right cick and save is disabled...all things must be posted as Judy described using the code which means we cannot stop the glittery crap...drat!!!!!

We are by nature observers, and thereby learners. That is our permanent state. ~ Emerson

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: JudyB (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 04:27 PM EST  
JudyB

Lori, I can't check now - but I thought when I clicked "grab the card" when I posted my sample in the thread in the Guidelines area, it brought up a page with different types of code to use to "grab" it, depending on where I planned to post it.

Will look into this more tonight when I get home.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: yalitldevl (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 04:29 PM EST  
yalitldevl

thanks Judy Wub and don't bother I was wrongo!!

calling all Nesties :hello: please come to the copyright thread for a read and questions until we all "get it" on what we can and cannot do anymore

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=309821#309821

Forum

On Lake Huron,
Ontario

Profile     PM

By: garyandjudi (offline) on Monday, February 06 2012 @ 05:28 PM EST  
garyandjudi

Left thumb upCheersJeanie go back to page 26 I forgot to upload Oh the shame of the frost pictures that I took this morning to show you frost that we got also like northern Texas

Had to go to EI to see when my and Gary's first Ei cheque is coming so I missed Clockwork Show just managed to see the last 5 minutes what a drag...tried to get back sooner but traffic is herendous today.

But the 5 minutes I did get to see was great Cheers:cheerguy: Love your pictures Anna and the snow on the trees is so beautiful a winter wonderland....paradise in white Nodding yesCheers

You can also download templates and images of Birthday cards from Microsoft Nestmates so please Laurie I'm counting on you to keep the birthday thingee up with all the EA regulars :thumrht:hug

Pa and Lady Lafarge Avatar

Judi

Forum

Vancouver B.C.
Canada

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:22 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate