The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Other North American Eagle Cams
 Carolina Raptor Center, North Carolina - BE Cam - 2010
 |  Printable Version
By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 06:26 PM EST  
MaryF

Hello Mary,

I'd be happy to provide you with some more information.

Derek and Savannah had laid eggs for a number of years without success until the two successful eaglets, Len and Lola in 2006.
They were unsuccessful again in 2007, but hatched one eaglet, Letha, in 2008.
Letha was released that year, but we were unable to get a satellite transmitter for her.
In 2009 they were unsuccessful again, so we're hoping this year will be another lucky year!

The nest box is up off the ground. We provide raised nesting platforms for them, but they've always chosen to nest on the ground. The 2006 eaglets, hatched and were raised in a nest on the ground. After the unsuccessful nest in 2007, we built a lower platform for Derek and Savannah, and they seem to like it!

Derek is very good about sharing the incubation duties. Savannah usually doesn't let him be on the nest for long, though, before she comes back and takes her place again. Savannah does leave the nest to eat most of the time. With eaglets in the nest, both Derek and Savannah share in the feeding of the eaglets.

Derek and Savannah have both been at Carolina Raptor Center for 12 years, but they were both adults when they arrived. Once bald eagles get their adult plumage of the white head and white tail, there is no way for us to age them. In the wild bald eagles can live to be 15-20 years old. We can often double their lifespan in captivity.

There are 5 other eagles in the same enclosure as Derek and Savannah. It is a large enclosure, and since we provide enough food for all of them, they have no need to get into squabbles with each other. There are also two golden eagles that are in a separate enclosure with a shared wall.

We have approximately 100 resident birds at Carolina Raptor Center. They have injuries that prevent their survival in the wild, so we are providing a permanent home for them. We also always have birds moving through our rehabiliation process which hopefully will be released to the wild again. We usually receive around 700 injured or orphaned birds each year. If they survive the first 24 hours, we are able to release over 70% of them to the wild.

Things are going pretty well with the African eagles. I have been working with the martial eagle for the past 2 months on getting him more comfortable around people. He was extremely nervous when he first arrived. Just this past week, it seems, we have started making more progress and I can see he is starting to trust me more and be less fearful. Sometimes I look at his feet and talons, which are perfect for catching and killing baboons and young antelope, and I wonder why he would possibly be afraid of me, but that is the mystery of raptors!

Thank you for your interest in our birds. Keep watching our eagle cam this year. We have all of our fingers and talons crossed that we will have eaglets in the nest soon!

Heather Merewood
Director of Education
Carolina Raptor Center

Cal+JudyB....Here is the wonderful reply to my inquiry that I sent to the CRC. It does contain some great new info!!Grin I will write and thank her!! Left thumb up

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 06:45 PM EST  
Anonymous: CAL04

Thank You Mary, Maryforbes, "AKA purpleagle San Antonio, TX" ,

Absolutely fantastic information, Mary:!: Grin

We cannot thank you enough for writing to CRC and sharing this wealth of information from Heather Merewood, Director of Education, Carolina Raptor Center.

Again, thank you, Mary:!:

By: MaryF (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 06:53 PM EST  
MaryF

You are all so welcome!! Hopefully if I ask...nicely... she may update me from time to time! Their African eagle project is so interesting I would like to hear more about it too. It was the least a girl who's Dad's family is from North Carolina could do!! Grin

Forum

San Antonio, TX

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 07:34 PM EST  

The fine people of North Carolina have a proud heritage; thank you for letting us know that you are connected to NC's history, Mary. Smile

Since you are interested, then I will read more about the African Eagle project at CRC too.

By: BET (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 08:09 PM EST  
BET

Mary - Purpleeagle

Thank you so much for sharing the information from the CRC Director. It makes watching this pair that much more enjoyable. Thank You

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: LATARTAL () on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 09:04 PM EST  
Anonymous: LATARTAL

I am so enjoying this thread. I found it via CRC's Facebook page, and am loving the screen captures and captions! I have been sitting here all week with the eagle cam on my 2nd computer while I work, but have missed many of the moments that have been captured here. I am sooooooo hoping for babies next week!

I'm actually a member of CRC and love to visit the center. I attended a bald eagle release that CRC did on 7/4/2009 and was absolutely AMAZED by it. For my birthday in September, they came to my house and released a young, rehabilitated turkey vulture. What an experience!

Click on image to download Click on image to download

By: BET (offline) on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 09:30 PM EST  
BET

Welcome LATARTAL

The more participants, the merrier!

I sent you a PM regarding posting images.

Looking forward to your posts

BET
Registered Member - June 2006

Forum

California

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: CAL04 () on Friday, February 05 2010 @ 09:32 PM EST  

Welcome LATARTAL,

We are honored to have you with us. Grin Thank you so much for sharing your story and for sharing your pictures with us. Happy Belated Birthday:!:

We will keep our "talons" crossed right along with you for babies next week. Nodding yes

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:36 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate