See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Miscellaneous
 The Singing Bird Lane
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 03:03 PM EST  
Anonymous: Jean Dagenais

Quote by: vickrb

GOOD AFTERNOON EVERYONE!!

Sorry for not being online - have been getting ready for my dear friends from Germany and have been very busy wtih them.

I trust everyone has been fine and I can see by the posts, that Jean has been very busy. My goodness, where do you get the patience? Such interesting articles. The memories are wonderful things to share. I would not have wanted to live in the times of the great depression. I believe there is still one of the Silkirks from Ontario that lives here in Cayman. Even has a street named after him.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
JEAN I have been e-mailing you for over week and no reply. What's up girl?

**** WELL VICKIE I HAVE SENT TO you many LETTERS, NOTES YOU NAME IT AND NOT A WORD FOR A WEEK FROM YOU SINCE YOU HAD TROUBLE ON THE OTHER tHREAD WITH YOUR COMPUTER. SO IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME YES. I hope your guest arrived ok. and that you have a sparkling good time having fun. and lots oF talking ( haha)i CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOUR NOT GETTING MY MAIL THEY AREN'T ON ANY DON'T SEND THAT I KNOW OF AND WHY WOULD THEY BEhah I'M NOT FEELING WELL AND CAN'T PUT A FINGER ON IT, ONE PILL A DAY SHOULDN'T MAKE ME WANT TO SLEEP ALL THE TIME... i SEeM EXHAUSTED... Trust you will send a letter soon.Miss you. Jean
\

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 03:12 PM EST  

Sorry for not being online - have been getting ready for my dear friends from Germany and have been very busy wtih them.

I trust everyone has been fine and I can see by the posts, that Jean has been very busy. My goodness, where do you get the patience? Such interesting articles. The memories are wonderful things to share. I would not have wanted to live in the times of the great depression. I believe there is still one of the Silkirks from Ontario that lives here in Cayman. Even has a street named after him.

I have mailed you often to no avail. I thought maybe it was because of what happened on the otherr thread with your camers so have waited tohear from you and absolutely nothing has ever arrived. Miss you Vicki So if and when you have time I will enjoy hearing from you again, ok Jean
I would like that Slkirk to know about thisThe dirty 30,s do you know him to talk to him because I will be hunting up names to see if I can find thm ok "
if I find anything I will let you know so you can tell him :Jean

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 03:36 PM EST  

Click on image to download Nationality - Born in Italy. Lived in Portugal and in Spain. Patrons - King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain

Lifespan - 1451 - 1506

Family - Respectable, but impoverished family. Christopher Columbus was the eldest of five children. Christopher Columbus had two sons by different mothers. His heir was Diego Columbus (1480 - 1526). His second and favorite son was Ferdinand, better known as Fernando ( 1488 - 1539)

Education - Limited due to lack of money in the family

Career - Explorer and Navigator

Famous for discovering the New World, yet he died thinking he had reached the Indies. A man called Regiomontanus was famous as a Medieval Scientist, Mathematician and Astronomer. His book Ephemerides was used by Christopher Columbus and Amerigo Vespucci to measure longitudes in their explorations of the New World.

The Ships of Christopher Columbus - Explorer and Navigator
The names of the Ships of Christopher Columbus:

The Nina

The Pinta

The Santa Maria

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 03:46 PM EST  

Click on image to download Johann Müller Regiomontanus

Chrispher Columbus used his theory,for navigational inf.

1436 - 1476

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regiomontanus or Johann Müller was a German scholar who made important contributions to trigonometry and astronomy.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 03:52 PM EST  

Click on image to downloadClick on image to download Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria *** I remember taking this particular essay in school and never forgot the names of those ships, life is funny isn;t it> Jean

Johann Müller Regiomontanuswith the map

Here thet are. Nina, Pinta, and Santa Maria

Christopher Columbus departed from Spain on August 3, 1492, on a fleet of three ships: the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria. Nina and Pinta were both smaller, sleeker ships, called caravels. Santa Maria was a larger, round-hulled ship, called a nao. Columbus himself sailed on, and piloted, the Santa Maria. Together, the three ships carried about 120 men, equipment and supplies.

Of the three ships, only the Santa Maria was built with a deck, and it was a much slower, heavier ship, with a keel that was about 115-feet long (35 meters). Both Nina and Pinta were about 50 feet long (15 meters). All three ships were armed. The Nina sailed under Vicente Yanez Pinzon, and the Pinta sailed under his brother, Martin Alonso Pinzon.

The goal of the voyage was to find a new passage to Asia. After a few "wrong turns", the crew landed in the New World, on one of the Bahama Islands, on October 12, 1492. The island was later renamed San Salvador by the Spaniards.

In November, the Pinta disappeared in a strong wind. On December 25, 1492 (Christmas Day), the Santa Maria ran aground and was completely destroyed. Later, in January, the Pinta rejoined the Nina. Columbus returned to Spain on the Nina, arriving in March of 1493. The Pinta arrived soon afterwards.

Columbus always believed that he had arrived in the Indies, never fully realizing the extent and importance of his discovery.

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 05:39 PM EST  

Click on image to download“Real” Crusoe’s isle said to yield clues to sojourn***** Vickie you might want to read this and tell the Selikirk man about it.PROBABLY related I would imagine....The dates are right...

Cast away on a des­ert is­land, sur­viv­ing on what na­ture alone can pro­vide, pray­ing for res­cue but fear­ing the sight of an en­e­my boat. These are the im­ag­i­na­tive crea­t­ions of Dan­iel De­foe in his fa­mous nov­el Rob­in­son Cru­soe.but

Yet the sto­ry is thought to be based on the real ex­pe­ri­ence of sail­or******* Al­ex­an­der Sel­kirk, ma­rooned in 1704 on a small trop­i­cal is­land in the Pa­cif­ic for more than four years.

New clues sup­port con­tem­po­rar­y records of his stay on that is­land, ar­chae­o­lo­gists say. A pa­per in the re­search jour­nal Post-Medieval Ar­chae­o­lo­gy de­scribes ev­i­dence of an “early Eu­ro­pe­an oc­cu­pant” from a dig on the is­land of Aguas Bue­nas, since re­named Rob­in­son Cru­soe Is­land.

The fore­most ev­i­dence is a pair of naviga­t­ional di­vid­ers which could only have be­longed to a ship’s mas­ter or nav­i­ga­tor, as ev­i­dence sug­gests Sel­kirk was, re­search­ers said.

An ac­count by **********Sel­kirk’s res­cuer, Cap­tain Woodes Rog­ers, of what he saw on ar­ri­val at Aguas Bue­nas in 1709 lists ‘some prac­ti­cal pieces’ and math­e­mat­i­cal in­stru­ments amongst the few pos­ses­sions that Sel­kirk had tak­en with him from the ship.

The finds al­so pro­vide an in­sight in­to how******** Sel­kirk might have lived on the is­land, in­ves­ti­ga­tors added. Post­holes sug­gest he built two shel­ters near to a fresh­wa­ter stream, and had ac­cess to a view­point over the har­bour from where he would be able to watch for ap­proach­ing ships and dis­cern wheth­er they were friend or foe.

Ac­counts writ­ten shortly af­ter the res­cue de­scribe him shoot­ing goats with a gun res­cued from the ship, and even­tu­ally learn­ing to out­run them, eat­ing their meat and us­ing their skins as cloth­ing. He al­so pas­sed time read­ing the Bi­ble and sing­ing psalms, and seems to have en­joyed a more peace­ful and de­vout ex­ist­ence than at any oth­er time in his life, ac­cord­ing to re­search­ers.

“The ev­i­dence un­co­vered at Aguas Bue­nas cor­rob­o­rates the sto­ries of**** Al­ex­an­der Sel­kirk’s stay on the is­land and pro­vides a fas­ci­nat­ing in­sight in­to his ex­ist­ence there,” said Da­vid Cald­well of Na­tional Mu­se­ums Scot­land, one of the re­search­ers. “We hope that Aguas Bue­nas, with care­ful man­age­ment, may be a site en­joyed by the in­creas­ing num­ber of tourists.”

Sel­kirk was born in the small sea­side town of Low­er Lar­go, Fife, Scot­land in 1676. A young­er son of a shoe­maker, he was drawn to a life at sea from an early age. In 1704, dur­ing a pri­va­teer­ing voy­age on the Cinque Ports, Sel­kirk fell out with the com­mand­er over the boat’s sea­wor­thi­ness and chose to re­main be­hind on Rob­in­son Cru­soe Is­land where they had land­ed to overhaul the worm-infested ves­sel. He ap­par­ently did­n’t sus­pect five years would pass be­fore he was pick­ed up by an Eng­lish ship vis­it­ing the is­land.

Pub­lished in 1719, Rob­in­son Cru­soe is one of the most fa­mous ad­ven­ture sto­ries in Eng­lish lit­er­a­ture. Whilst it is un­clear wheth­er *****De­foe and Sel­kirk ac­tu­ally met, De­foe would cer­tainly have heard the sto­ries of Sel­kirk’s ad­ven­ture and used the ta­les as the ba­sis for his nov­el, ac­cord­ing to Cald­well and col­leagues.

By: vickrb (offline) on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 06:00 PM EST  
vickrb

Quote by: Jean Dagenais

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

**** WELL VICKIE I HAVE SENT TO you many LETTERS, NOTES YOU NAME IT AND NOT A WORD FOR A WEEK FROM YOU SINCE YOU HAD TROUBLE ON THE OTHER tHREAD WITH YOUR COMPUTER. SO IT'S BEEN A LONG TIME YES. I hope your guest arrived ok. and that you have a sparkling good time having fun. and lots oF talking ( haha)i CANNOT UNDERSTAND WHY YOUR NOT GETTING MY MAIL THEY AREN'T ON ANY DON'T SEND THAT I KNOW OF AND WHY WOULD THEY BEhah I'M NOT FEELING WELL AND CAN'T PUT A FINGER ON IT, ONE PILL A DAY SHOULDN'T MAKE ME WANT TO SLEEP ALL THE TIME... i SEeM EXHAUSTED... Trust you will send a letter soon.Miss you. Jean
\

I have sent an e-mail every day to you. NOthing blocked from this end either. I don't block anyone. The thread problem everyone had - I had Richard straighten it out - was someone posting an ad in too large a print format.

I get no mail from you at all. I am sorry you are not feeling well. It could be that the large doses need t work out of your system so the 1 a day can take over. Give it time and just rest when you are sleep, it is your system asking for rest.

Company arrived safe and sound and we had a fun day today.

I miss you e-mails.

Vicki

Vicki - since 30 April 2009

God Gives every bird it's food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

Forum

CAYMAN ISLANDS

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Sunday, February 21 2010 @ 08:15 PM EST  

Click on image to download Good Night all. Jean

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:28 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate