You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Miscellaneous
 The Singing Bird Lane
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Wednesday, February 17 2010 @ 04:29 PM EST  
Anonymous: Jean Dagenais

Click on image to download
I am a curious person ( aren't we all). But I really would love to live in a log cabin. Here is what they say and you can see the following ones at the bottom to see all. to see then all I think you will have to copy them somewhere to loook at it.as I won't put them full on here to many ok lets go sit a spell by a log cabin and dream the 1600 etc.it must have been a hard life though.We have them in Pr. Edw. County( nr Picton) about 4-5 . I remeber one family lived in a log house and they had 6-7 children , talk about clean that woman was forever working and she was really quite a beautiful woman too. The husband fished for a living.That is in the 1940's tyat I remember...Jean Ps Remember the braided rugs I wrote aout. They are mentioned here.

~~~~~~~The familiar log cabin originated in Sweden in the 1600s, the idea brought to America by immigrants. A typical cabin cost about the equivalent of $50 to build, and could be erected within a month, depending upon the number of people working on the project. Sometimes an entire community joined together in raising a cabin for a family, such as the Levi Roberts cabin.

A good stone foundation was usually prepared in the earth before construction began, for without it, the cabin would settle unevenly and the logs would rot from moisture in the ground. Logs were obtained from a nearby canyon. The logs largest in diameter were the first to be used, with smaller and smaller logs used toward the tops of the walls. The logs were joined at the corners by notching, or cutting them to fit snugly together. One's skill in notching determined how well-built and secure the cabin was. Notching also determined the direction of the flow of rainwater away the cabin and its interior. Gaps in between the logs were filled in using mortar, a form of plaster.

The cheapest form of roofing was sod, but most pioneers preferred to secure poles lengthwise across the top, attach cut lumber atop the poles, and, finally, split shingles. Some cabins had hardpacked earthen floors, such as dugouts, while others used lumber for flooring material. Some floors were rough, while others were highly smoothed and sanded. A braided rag rug or two was usually found on most cabin floors. The inside log walls of many cabins were stripped of bark and whitewashed to provide a more finished look.

Pioneer families tended to have many children. Since cabins tended to be small, bed space presented a problem. Some cabins had sleeping lofts reached from the outside by a ladder. Others had lofts reached from the inside by a rope ladder. A typical wooden bed had holes drilled through the frame. Heavy rope or cord was threaded through the holes, from side to side and from front to back in a grid pattern. A mattress stuffed with straw, or less commonly, but more comfortably, feathers, was placed atop the ropes. Bedding and pillows completed the preparations.

A child's nursery rhyme, recited by a parent to a child at night-time, although commonly misunderstood, pertains to such a bed: "Goodnight; sleep tight; don't let the bedbugs bite." Such a bed required that the rope be tightened periodically or one would sag when lying down. Straw ticks often invited tiny red bedbugs, which came out at night and made their presence felt as they proceeded to bite their hapless victim.

Bowery - 1847 Log structure.
Bowery Roof View of the bowery highlighting the roof.
Bowery Posts Close-up of the posts on the bowery.
Bowery Beams Close-up of the beams supporting the bowery.
Ence Cabin Image.
Ence Cabin Close-up Saddle log notches.
Gardiner Cabin - 1864 Image.
Gardiner Cabin Ladder Ladder to sleeping loft.
Gardiner Cabin Back Rear view of cabin.
Gardiner Cabin with Wash Water Fence with lye water maker in foreground.
Gardiner Cabin Clothesline Clothesline with pioneer garments.
Holladay Cabin Square log notches.
Hickman Cabin 1854-1858 Image.
Hickman Cabin Close-up Saddle log notches.
Hickman Cabin Garden Garden and privy (outhouse).
Riter Cabin - 1847 Side and rear of cabin with cornfield in the foreground and outhouse in the background.
Riter Cabin Close-up Lap joint log notches.
Roberts Cabin - 1856 Close-up of window.
Roberts Cabin Logs Full dovetail log notches.
Roberts Cabin Headboard Facsimile headboard.
Tuft/White Cabin Image.
Tuft/White Cabin Logs Full dovetail log notches.
Tuft/White Close-up Full dovetail log notches.

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Wednesday, February 17 2010 @ 07:18 PM EST  

Jean

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 11:03 AM EST  

This is called a "few good friends". Kinda cute. Another day semi cloudy and cold.
Very quiet day for Gab and myself.. Stay safe and Happy everyone
and be nice to each other.. Hugs Jean

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 06:53 PM EST  

Click on image to download I remember the farm we lived on in the very late 1920's very well. and on into 1945 when world war 2 ended. The dirty 30's were terrrible. I will write about that soon. Jean
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the 17th century Samuel de Champlain and Gabriel Sagard recorded that the Iroquois and Huron cultivated the soil for maize or "Indian corn". [2] Maize (Zea mays), potatoes (Solanum tuberosum), beans (phaseolus), squash (Cucurbita) and the sunflower (Helianthus annus) were grown throughout agricultural lands in North America by the 16th century. As early as 2300 BC evidence of squash was introduced to the northeastern woodlands region. Archaeological findings from 500 AD have shown corn cultivation in southern Ontario.[3]

Eastern Canada was settled well before the West. Immigration and trading posts came later to Rupert's Land and the Northwest Territories. The early immigrants combined European agricultural and domestication procedures with the indigenous knowledge of the land and animals of the area.

As early as 1605, the French Acadians built dikes in the Maritimes for wheat, flax, vegetables, pasturage and marshland farming.[4] Dairy production is the main contribution of New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island, along with livestock and mixed farming ventures. A small percentage of land is put into use in fruit farming as well along Nova Scotia's northwest coastal areas. The American Revolution, 1775-1783, and its attendant food decline resulted in 3100 hectares cleared in Newfoundland. In the early 19th century Irish immigrants began arriving who cultivated the land in Newfoundland.[5] A very small percentage of the land is suitable in Newfoundland and Labrador for horticultural or crop production because there is a lot of forested and tundra geography. The province has some dairy production and farming concerns. Following World War II, farm training was available at the Government Demonstration Farm. Bonuses were paid for such things as the purchase of pure-bred sires, land clearing, and agriculture exhibition assistance to name a few. The industry of fish processing for food is the largest agricultural contribution from Newfoundland. Newfoundland fisheries, supply cod for the most part, followed closely by herring, haddock, lobster, rose fish, seals, and whales. The fishing industry depends very heavily upon exports and world conditions.[6]

Agriculture in the West started with Peter Pond gardening plots at Lake Athabasca in 1778. Although large-scale agriculture was still many years off, Hudson's Bay Company traders, gold rush miners, and missionaries cultivated crops, gardens and raised livestock.[7] The Northwest Territories, Yukon, and Nunavut are covered with the Canadian Shield, and rocky outcrops, sub Arctic forest soils, and stony phases make up most of the geography. It is an area of comparatively smaller population and not commercially exploited for the most part. Whaling, prawns, and trapping food processing contribute to agricultural food production here.[8]

In New France hops, hemp and livestock were introduced in 1663. The seigneurial system of farming was adopted in Quebec.[9] Quebec's agricultural sector relies heavily on its fruit and vegetable production. In 1890, a competition began to encourage farmers to improve their farms to achieve the Agricultural Merit Order. County farm improvement contests were begun about 1930 involving over 5,000 farms and their evolution over five years. They have some interests in livestock and mixed farming and diary as well. St. Hyacinthe operated an artificial insemination station from 1951 for breeders clubs.[10][11]

Plowing via horse and hand held plow.The British enforced Corn (Cereal grains) laws, 1794-1846, protected the British agricultural sector from imports of British North American wheat. The Reciprocity Treaty, June 6, 1854, developed a trade agreement between Canada and the United States which affected trade of wheat grown in Ontario.[12] Northern Ontario is mainly tundra and forested area, whereas southern Ontario has lands suitable for livestock and general farming as well as geography suitable for pasture and dairying industries. Fruit farming and tobacco farms can also be found in southern Ontario. Ontario is the largest producer of mixed grains, soybeans and shelled corn in the country.[13]

Ontario farmLord Selkirk, founder of the Red River Colony, harvested the first wheat crop in the western prairies in 1814. Red Fife wheat was introduced in 1868. Swine were brought to the Red River colony as early as 1819. The frontier land of southwest Alberta and southeast Saskatchewan were opened to ranching in the 19th century.[14] Manitoba has a combination of mixed grain, livestock, and mixed farming industries in its southernmost areas. Cattle ranching around Lake Manitoba is also quite successful. Northern Manitoba consists of extensive lakes and forested geographical areas.[15] The Dominion Land Act of 1872 offered agricultural pioneers an opportunity to "prove up" a quarter section of land (160 acres/65 hectares]) in western Canada for a $10.00 filing fee and three years of improvements combined with residence on the land.[16] Saskatchewan still has cattle ranching along its southwestern corner; grain farming and crops such as wheat, oats, flax, alfalfa, and rapeseed (especially canola) dominate the parkland area. Mixed grain farming, dairy farms, mixed livestock and grazing lands dot the central lowlands region of this prairie province.[17]

Alberta is renowned still for its stampedes, and cattle ranching is a main industry. The agricultural industry is supplemented by livestock and mixed farming and wheat crops. Alberta is the second largest producer of wheat in Canada. Grain and dairying also play a role in the livelihoods of Alberta farmers.[18]

Grain ElevatorsThe open parkland area extends across the three prairie provinces: Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta. Canada's production of wheat, oats, flaxseed, and barley come mainly from this area. Meat processing is the largest industry here, followed by dairy production, breweries, and the subsidiary industry of agricultural implements.[19]

British Columbia is covered in highlands; its eastern boundary is the Rocky Mountains. Livestock, cattle ranches, fruit farming and dairying dot the province. Agriculture and fisheries are a small contribution industry over shadowed by construction and forestry.[20]

Agricultural production in British Columbia supplied the gold rush industry, mining and logging industries. Agricultural producers relied on these local markets, following the economic boom and bust of each enterprise respectively. The British Columbia Fruit-Growers' Association was established in 1889 to foster an export market of this commodity.[21] The Canada Agriculture Museum preserves Canadian agricultural history. [22]

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 07:23 PM EST  

THE CAUSE OF THE DEPRESSION
Many Canadians of the thirties felt that the depression wasn't brought about by the Wall Street Stock Market Crash, but by the enormous 1928 wheat crop crash. Due to this, many people were out of work and money and food began to run low. It was said by the Federal Department of Labor that a family needed between $1200 and $1500 a year to maintain the "minimum standard of decency." At that time, 60% of men and 82% of women made less than $1000 a year. The gross national product fell from $6.1 billion in 1929 to $3.5 billion in 1933 and the value of industrial production halved.1
Unfortunately for the well being of Canada's economy prices continued to plummet and they even fell faster then wages until 1933, at that time, there was another wage cut, this time of 15%. For all the unemployed there was a relief program for families and all unemployed single men were sent packing by relief officers by boxcar to British Columbia. There were also work camps established for single men by Bennett's Government.

The Great Depression, also known as The Dirty Thirties, wasn't like an ordinary depression where savings vanished and city families went to the farm until it blew over. This depression effected everyone in some way and there was basically no way to escape it. J.S. Woodsworth told Parliament "If they went out today, they would meet another army of unemployed coming back from the country to the city."2 As the depression carried on 1 in 5 Canadians became dependent on government relief. 30% of the Labour Force was unemployed, where as the unemployment rate had previously never dropped below 12%.

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 07:54 PM EST  

Click on image to download This makes me very, very sad when I see those pictures. Have you any ideas what it would be like??????Pretty awful when you have no food and no money...and no where to go...

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 07:56 PM EST  

I remember well the depression altho I was born 1926 it was 1929 people were walking the roads to find work for some money to feed themselves. MYGrandpa sent1oo lb bags of potatoes to Saskatchewan and I have the letter a lady wrote thanking him,MYGrandma would make up dinners and hand them to the man never letting any of them in the house of course, not safe too.
Grandpa would let them sleep in the barn and a song was written and here is some of it ```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````****.It was so bad the wind blew the top soil off a lot of the provinces and created a Dust bowl effect. It was terrrible. Dust and mud... Here is part of that song.
```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````
One night it was dark and 'twas stormy
When along came a tramp in the rain
He was making his way to the station
To catch a long distance train

I have no tobacco or matches
And I'm sure I will do you no harm
I will tell you my story kind mister
For it runs through my heart like a thorn

Chorus
May I sleep in your barn tonight, mister
It is cold lying out on the ground
And the cold north wind is a-howling
And I have no place to lie down

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 18 2010 @ 10:49 PM EST  

Click on image to download Jean

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:37 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate