Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Miscellaneous
 The Singing Bird Lane
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 02:11 PM EST  
Anonymous: Jean Dagenais

The principle use of Grandma's apron was to protect the dress underneath, but along with that, it served as a holder for removing hot pans from the oven; It was wonderful for drying children's tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears. From the chicken-coop the apron
was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven. When company came those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids; and when the weather was cold, grandma wrapped it around her arms. Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove. Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron. From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled it carried out the hulls. In the fall the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees. When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds. When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner. It will
be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that "old-time apron" that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know, and love the story about Grandma's aprons.

This story was sent to me by someone who thought I would enjoy it. I do and think you will too.

Does it stir up memories for you?

Then take a few minutes today to either write them down or tell them to a child.

An old African tale says that when a person dies, it is as if a library has burned down. Share your personal history today, someone needs to hear it as much as you need to tell it.
I well remember this it was good for gathering hickory nuts to.Every autumn

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 03:28 PM EST  

Click on image to download

Ok now does any one of you remember this scene years ago (you may be to young to have seen it but boy I remember.
Remember bottled milk that was brought around from the Dairy to be delivered to homes. Well that is the ist wagon and horse. Quite a story of the one in Picton where I came fro. The horse knew where to stop at every house along the way and was never had to be reigened in. Then there were the old ice boxes they called them that a pce of ice was delivered and dropped in the top of a icebox they dinot called them refrigerators then. 1930's 40's We've come a long way Grandma and Grandpa. Ah and remember the good old Jukebox that if you but a nickel or a dime then a quarter in the slot it would play the favourite records you had chosen. Wish I could find a picture...Those weer the wonderful days of fun, trust and always a wonderful family to enjoy with a bit of hard work thrown in to keep you healthy..Jean

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 03:50 PM EST  

Click on image to download Here it is a Jukebox

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 04:01 PM EST  

Click on image to downloadClick on image to download a man carrying ice that was taken from a frozen lake or bay in the winter cut in the right size. and kept under sawdust particles. Neat. Jean Oh yes remeber the old telephone where you had to ring the calls Ie> 2 short and 1 long rings example for your Number. and boy did the busy bodies ever listen in too. One lady was told not to listen in by the Game W arden who needed to call someone urgently and she Says
"Iam not on the line" we always had a laugh over that one. haha Jean

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 08:19 PM EST  

Click on image to download Jean

By: Ayla (offline) on Tuesday, February 09 2010 @ 08:29 PM EST  
Ayla

Jean, I made a rag rug a long time ago, but
I sewed it up sooo tight that it looked like a
bowl sitting on the floor, lol. We kept turning it
over and after awhile it finally laid flat! Every
time I washed and dried it, it would curve right
back upTitter Darn thing lasted forever too!!

Wub all the stories Thank You

Good night, Jean!!

From Northwestern BC
Forum

Profile     PM

By: vickrb (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 09:25 AM EST  
vickrb

GOOD MORNING JEAN and other posters.

Looks like I am the only one up this morning. I have been outside aready sitting in my garden chair and watching the birds. I so enjoy that. I had a very restless night and was up about 2:00 a.m. on the forum. Just reading to catch up and see what was new. Have had my fresh fruit salad and one piece of toast. I am still feeling lousy - this is some cold!! I am not used to being sick and I am my own worst enemy when I am.

Lovely day in Cayman today, Sunny with just enough spotty clouds that their reflection on the sea will be beautiful. The cloud tends to magnify the turquois water, which we call (white water). I feel so bad for those in Maryland with all the blizzards that they have never had before like this. My friend sent me pictures of their yard and house and all I can say is OH MY!!! YOU HAVE to remember that Maryland does not get snow like this.

Vicki - since 30 April 2009

God Gives every bird it's food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

Forum

CAYMAN ISLANDS

Profile Email   PM

By: vickrb (offline) on Wednesday, February 10 2010 @ 03:07 PM EST  
vickrb

JEAN - look here. Ma and Pa Mockingbird flew off over the house when I was in the yard. Had my camera so snuck up to the nest and quickly captured these.

I have eggs!!!!!

Vicki - since 30 April 2009

God Gives every bird it's food, but He does not throw it into its nest.

Forum

CAYMAN ISLANDS

Profile Email   PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:37 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate