Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > H.W.F. Archives > Archive - Miscellaneous
 The Singing Bird Lane
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 04:39 PM EST  
Anonymous: Jean Dagenais

This has been my travel day sitting in a chair in front of the table looking at all our snapshots we took when we toured the USA in Our RV. I remember coming across the Mojave Deset 100% heat and I was driving ithe RV, Thankgoodness we had a airconditioner. But to see a Desert is something else so here are a couple of pictures and a little note on it.
What is a Desert

old derilect house that someone used to live in.CALLED THE PINK hOUSE( SUN SHINES ON IT) It was an very good experience for us, but felt better on top of the Mesa's, They were something else.tHE FLOWERS WERE BEAUTIFUL AND THE CATCIUS OF ALL KINDS, BIRDS ETC.
??Deserts
To begin with, there are many kinds of Deserts. Some are the familiar deserts of bare rock and shifting sand, upon which the hot sun beats down. But some deserts, such as the Gobi, have bitterly cold winters. So a desert is really a region where only special forms of life can exist. And the form of life is the kind that has managed to adapt itself to the particular conditions of the particular desert.
For example, cacti are well-known desert plants. They have thick, fleshy stems without true leaves. Desert shrubs that have leaves usually have small ones. Little or no leaf surface prevents too much evaporation of water from the plant.
Many desert plants have thorns, spines, or a disagreeable taste or smell. This discourages animals that might eat them and so helps them survive. Desert plants usually lie dormant during the dry or cool season, or drop seeds that can survive such a period.

When the period for growth arrives, the seeds germinate and give rise to plants that rapidly flower and drop more seeds. Within a few weeks or months, the plants are ready again for the long season of dormancy.

When it comes to animals, they must be able to do without water for long periods, or be able to reach water holes at great distances. The camel, for example, is highly adapted to desert life. It has padded feet to walk on sand, a water-storing stomach, and humps of fat as a reserve supply of energy, and nostrils that can be closed to keep out sand during wind storms.
Many of the smaller desert creatures need to drink no water at all. They get what liquid they need from the sap of food plants and from night dew on leaves or stones
The Mojave was HOT This was called the pin house.
Click on image to download

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 07:35 PM EST  

:huh:Why Oh Why can this happen o me See these pages What a mess. How come. I would like this last one taken off the Rv story of the Mojave desert please Velma It seem to hope yop and scatter. Whay. and I still cannot get the Large print . and color the colour to change.nothing WORKS FOR ME sigh sign I am going to quit . I have asked for help...Sleepy

By: Velma Flann (offline) on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 07:51 PM EST  
Velma Flann

I fixed it for you Jean. it just needed extra lines taken out. To get color, just highlight what you want in color, then click the color button above and pick what you want. Just the way it used to be done on the old forum, before they got that little color chart.

I don't know why the large print doesn't stay. That is your computer, not the forum. If you take it into the shop, ask them to change the print setting for you. They can make the print larger.

Forum

Lillooet, B.C.

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Wednesday, February 03 2010 @ 10:16 PM EST  

Just to say Thankyou and Goodnite.Click on image to download
Good nightsleepy Jean

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 04 2010 @ 12:08 PM EST  

Click on image to download Will we ever be doing this soon.Minus 5 C sun is shinning

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 04 2010 @ 02:47 PM EST  

Well Not much going on here, so with my love and thirst of HIstory which I cannot get enough of
I am going to start several pages contained to Midevil Times. I hope you will enjoy it along with me.Except waiting for the Eagles so while I do here is a History lesson.. ok?Jean------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets have a look at the Mideavil Ages.
Life During the Middle Ages
Daily life during the Middle Ages is sometimes hard to fathom. Pop culture loves to focus on exciting medieval moments-heroic knights charging into battle; romantic liaisons between royalty and commoner; breakthroughs and discoveries made. But life for your average person during the Dark Ages was very routine, and activities revolved around an agrarian calendar.
Most of the time was spent working the land, and trying to grow enough food to survive another year. Church feasts marked sowing and reaping days, and occasions when peasant and lord could rest from their labors.
Social activities were important, and every citizen in a medieval town would be expected to attend. Fairs with troubadours and acrobats performing in the streets…merchants selling goods in the town square…games of chance held at the local tavern…tournaments featuring knights from near and abroad…these were just some of the ways medieval peasants spent their leisure time. Medieval weddings were cause for the entire town to celebrate.
Medieval superstitions held sway over science, but traveling merchants and returning crusaders told of cultures in Asia, the Middle East and Africa that had advanced learning of the earth and the human body. Middle Age food found new flavor courtesy of rare spices that were imported from the East. Schools and universities were forming across Western Europe that would help medieval society evolve from the Dark Ages on its way to a Renaissance of art and learning.

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 04 2010 @ 02:55 PM EST  

Midevil History continued:
Medieval Clothing*********
From the 11th through the 13th centuries, medieval clothing varied according to the social standing of the people. The clothing worn by nobility and upper classes was clearly different than that of the lower class.
The clothing of peasants during the Middle Ages was very simple, while the clothing of nobility was fitted with a distinct emphasis on the sleeves of the garments. Knights adorned themselves with sleeveless "surcoats" covered with a coat of arms. Barbarian nomads wore clothing made of fur, wool, and leather. They wore long trousers, some of which had attached feet. Fine leather shoes were also worn. Imports such as turbans and silks from the East were common for the more fortunate of society.
As with today, clothing styles of medieval men changed periodically. At the end of the 13th century, the once loose and flowing tunics became tighter fitting. Besides tunics, the men also wore undershirts and briefs covered by a sleeveless jacket and an additional tunic. Stockings completed the ensemble. Men's medieval clothing also consisted of cloaks with a round opening that was slipped over the man's head. Such cloaks were worn over other clothing as a type of "jacket".
Early medieval women's clothing consisted of "kirtles", which were tunics worn to their ankles. These tunics were often worn over a shirt. When the women were in public, they often topped the tunics with an even shorter "kirtle." Of course the more affluent women wore more luxurious clothing than those of the less affluent lifestyle. Women, especially those who were married, wore tight-fitting caps and nets over their hair, which was wound in a "bun" on their heads. Other women wore veils over their hair, which was left either hanging loosely, or braided tightly.
Medieval Games and Recreation

Medieval society indulged in a number of games and recreation, when the often harsh daily life permitted a break. Chess was widely popular and often a source of gambling entertainment; both in the traditional format and in a simpler version played with dice. Dice were easy to carry and were played in all ranks of society, even among the clergy.

Some games played during the Middle Ages, including bowling, prisoner's base, blind man's bluff (also called hoodman's blind), and simple "horseplay" are still played today. Checkers were a popular pastime, as was backgammon. Children wrestled, swam, fished and played a game that was a cross between tennis and handball. Medieval knights would incorporate training in recreation, performing gymnastics and running foot races.

Spectators in the Middle Ages were often drawn to cockfights and bullbaiting. The preferred recreation for most adults was drinking in the local tavern. At harvest time, villagers would bob for apples and go on hunts in the surrounding forests, if the castle lord permitted. Hawks were trained to hunt game birds and every medieval castle had a falconer, assigned to train young birds for this sport.

Medieval Christmas games included "King of the Bean," where a small bean would be baked inside bread or cake, and the one who found it in their portion would be crowned king of the holiday feast.

Midevil games

By: Anonymous: Jean Dagenais () on Thursday, February 04 2010 @ 03:12 PM EST  

Medieval Music

Medieval music was an integral part of everyday life for the people of that time period. Music of the Middle Ages was especially popular during times of celebration and festivities.

Music was often played during holidays and special parties. During weddings and birthdays, the music was especially uplifting. For weddings and on Valentine's Day, lovers' music was played that was sure to evoke a romantic atmosphere. This type of music was called "chivaree." The musicians would play buoyant and cheery music with crescendos. Many a different Medieval music instrument was played, including, recorders, horns, trumpets, whistles, bells, and drums.

On Mayday, dancers would dance to specially-prepared, high-pitched music. It was believed that by doing so, the hibernating spirits would be awakened and forewarned that spring had arrived.

During Christmas, the sound of bells brought the good news of Jesus' birth to the listeners.

People during the Middle Ages also ate to the sound of traditional music during and between meal courses. They would also, at times play from a specially-built platform or stage at the end of the Great Hall. It was believed in those days that medieval music was not only delightful to the ears, but it also helped in the digestion of food, hence the reason for music at mealtimes.

The music of Medieval times was very important to the listeners of that era, whether it be for special celebrations, holidays, or for something as simple as eating a meal.

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:29 AM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate