Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, April 28 2012 @ 06:41 AM EDT  
nightowl

Thanks Vic!

I just have one question though. Why didn't Doug post what I consider a big announcement, himself? Puzzled I thought the naming of the chicklets was a really big thing for him and he'd enjoy telling everyone himself. Just curious.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: kickingbird () on Saturday, April 28 2012 @ 01:22 PM EDT  
Anonymous: kickingbird

So happy to hear there are two, and what their names are! Elizabeth and Rafe are great names - I just like the sound of them anyway, but even more, it's good to know they have special meaning.

My hubby is half Native American (he "gave" me my own special name, even though I have not a drop of Native blood), and respect for nature is one of the things his grandparents instilled in him. He dreamed about his grandfather just the night before last, who was "teaching" him that very lesson yet again.

Doug has been teaching this lesson, too, in so much of what he has done in connection with this fascinating eagle pair. I'm in awe of his years of observation of this particular pair - some of us feel "close" to them because we've watched his cams for a few years, but he's been watching them for OVER TWO DECADES. Almost a quarter of a century. We may think we know a lot about them from hours of watching, but our hours are a drop in the bucket compared to the hours HE'S put in!!

I hope there's good viewing between the sticks - at this age, Elizabeth's little bobblehead should be visible through even the tiniest space! (As I recall, there was still some "floor space" of the nest still on view, sort of a a diagonal area still uncovered). I remember David's love affair with the close up cam (him and his "pillow-stick" ) - he was such a hoot.

Thanks for the info, Vic - please pass along our thanks to Doug.

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 03:03 AM EDT  
nightowl

SUNDAY, APRIL 29, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Gertrude () on Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 02:32 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Gertrude

Quote by: nightowl

Thanks Vic!

I just have one question though. Why didn't Doug post what I consider a big announcement, himself? Puzzled I thought the naming of the chicklets was a really big thing for him and he'd enjoy telling everyone himself. Just curious.

This is a really good question nightowl. Why wouldn't Doug come in to name this eaglet, and the second if there is to be one? Seems odd to me

By: Anonymous: MishkaT () on Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 04:23 PM EDT  
Anonymous: MishkaT

Hey Mishka! :hello:

Yes, I noticed that, but is it official? I know the owner of the property the nest is on is a retired helicopter pilot, and to name the chicklets, he's using the military code for the alphabet...or however that goes. Last year it was Charlie and Delta, so following the alphabet, this year would be Echo and Foxtrot. I guess no one told him of the loss we suffered with our little Echo or he might have changed his mind. Cry Hanky

Yeah, I found that out later. Now it makes me really sad - it would be bittersweet if it were named in honor of our Echo.

Thanks for the info Vic, those are beautiful names (and namesakes). I do so miss Doug's comments and stories. I hope he and Sheila are having a wonderful life these days.

By: Anonymous: onemorefan () on Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 08:24 PM EDT  
Anonymous: onemorefan

Quote by: Gertrude

Thanks Vic!

This is a really good question nightowl. Why wouldn't Doug come in to name this eaglet, and the second if there is to be one? Seems odd to me

I believe nightowl answered her/his own question on another thread. There are internet problems on Hornby. I'm sure Doug would have been on here if he had been able.

By: JudyB (offline) on Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 09:34 PM EDT  
JudyB

Quote by: MishkaT

Hey Mishka! :hello:

Yes, I noticed that, but is it official? I know the owner of the property the nest is on is a retired helicopter pilot, and to name the chicklets, he's using the military code for the alphabet...or however that goes. Last year it was Charlie and Delta, so following the alphabet, this year would be Echo and Foxtrot. I guess no one told him of the loss we suffered with our little Echo or he might have changed his mind. Cry Hanky

Yeah, I found that out later. Now it makes me really sad - it would be bittersweet if it were named in honor of our Echo.

Hi everyone! The official name of the older White Rock chick is indeed Echo - and the property owner did suggest that she could also be called Ech or E, perhaps in acknowledgement that some of us would not be able to type Echo without a little tug on our hearts. I must admit I have mixed feelings - it's hard right now - but it is a lovely name, and if all goes well, I will have some happy memories of little E at White Rock to provide a counterpoint to the sad ones.

Forum

Midcoast Maine, USA

Profile Email Website PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, April 29 2012 @ 10:13 PM EDT  
nightowl

Quote by: onemorefan

Quote by: Gertrude

Thanks Vic!

I believe nightowl answered her/his own question on another thread. There are internet problems on Hornby. I'm sure Doug would have been on here if he had been able.

Hey onemorefan, Gertrude, MishkaT, and JudyB! :hello:

*looking down* Yep, I'm a girl alright! Titter I was reporting what they were saying in chat about why the cam was down...internet problems. I don't know if they know for sure or not if they aren't on Hornby. :dunno: It wasn't down Friday when the announcement of the names were made.

Thanks JudyB! Grin I understand the reasoning behind the WR chicklet's names, and it is the owner's perogative (sp) to name them the way he wants, but I wish Echo's name hadn't come up so soon. I also hope this Echo has a long and healthy life...that could be our Echo's legacy...that the name lives on.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:45 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate