Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: nubchai () on Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 11:00 AM EDT  
Anonymous: nubchai

It's a shame Doug can't type up a quick weekly update especially if kids are watching. Does anyone actually talk to him who could ask this of him? Or is he gone for good with his cam?

By: Anonymous: kickingbird () on Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 01:28 AM EDT  
Anonymous: kickingbird

I think now that Doug has retired, he is in the "driver's seat" and it's entirely up to him to decide if and when he wants to come out of retirement to do anything having to do with communicating with people about what he sees from the privacy of his home.

That's the whole point in retiring - he gets to choose what he does with his time and energy now.

He started an independent study of this particular pair of eagles over two decades ago. For a time, he let the rest of world in on his studies. It just happened to be a fascinating pair in a gorgeous setting, and many of the stories surrounding their offspring touched our hearts - we were hooked. But that's our issue, not his. We need to deal with it. We need to be grateful to Doug for the time that he put up with all the "space station" equipment that invaded his home for so long in order to be able to broadcast to the world what he was seeing, and we need to recognize that to everything there is a season.

I'm happy that he can clearly see Elizabeth. I'm happy that he can relax and enjoy the view. We should all be happy for him and let him be. If he pops in somewhere sometime because he feels like it, it'll be a nice surprise. But it should be on his "schedule" - which means, when he feels like it. That's what it means to be truly retired.

By: nightowl (offline) on Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 05:49 AM EDT  
nightowl

THURSDAY, MAY 17, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: SandyinIN (offline) on Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 08:08 AM EDT  
SandyinIN

Nicely said kickingbird. I really miss Doug too, and would be so happy to see him too. He has given me so much of an insight to these magnificent eagles that I will never forget. A Hornby Island visit is on my "Bucket List", but if I never make it there personally I will always remember what he has given to me. You said what I have thought all along but couldn't get into words. I will always be checking here for news, and hope to keep in touch. I love how Mom and Dad come to Doug's waves now. What a feeling that must be to have eagles respond to a wave!! Thank you Doug and Sheila for what you have given to me that no one else in the world could have. Happy Retirement!

Forum

By: Anonymous: oldjean () on Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 12:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous: oldjean

Thank you Kickingbird & SandyinIN, for you have said exactly what I feel.

I know we are all very grateful to Doug & Sheila for all they have done & given us of their time & energy over the past years. They have taught us an incredible amount about eagles, particularly this wonderful pair. I too sincerely hope they are enjoying a more peaceful retirement in their beautiful garden on their beautiful island. Happy days, both of you.

By: bruner (offline) on Thursday, May 17 2012 @ 01:27 PM EDT  
bruner

Hello Kickingbird:

Thanks for the great post regarding Doug, and thanks to SandyinIN and oldjean for their comments. I can't add much more other than to agree with all of you. I will be ever grateful to Doug and Sheila who changed my life by introducing me to the eagles, and giving me a deeper appreciation of nature. But just as we watch the eagles fledge each year, it's time to let Doug and Sheila do the same. No doubt they sacrificed time with family and friends while they tended to our "needs", but now it's their time to tend to their own needs, doing whatever they want to do.

Do we miss them? Of course we do, but we have no right to infringe on their lives any longer, and wish them a happy retirement.

Thanks Doug and Sheila Thank You Enjoy your eagles. I know you'll continue watching them for as long as you can. wave

Sincerely

bruner.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Friday, May 18 2012 @ 05:43 AM EDT  
nightowl

FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2012

SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2012

SUNDAY, MAY 20, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: MishkaT () on Sunday, May 20 2012 @ 09:00 PM EDT  
Anonymous: MishkaT

Well said, kickingbird, et al.

All times are EST. The time is now 05:22 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate