Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: GG (offline) on Monday, May 14 2012 @ 06:14 PM EDT  
GG

If those sticks did indeed disappear, that's great news for Doug. I'm so looking forward to watching Elizabeth flappercize and hover, and eventually fledge. I wonder if she will be loud like Hope or more laid back like David? *(I just got this mental image of Alexandra and her patented, under the tail feathers, fish snatch that always worked when David was trying to mantle his fish last year!)

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Tuesday, May 15 2012 @ 05:45 AM EDT  
nightowl

TUESDAY, MAY 15, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: Vic () on Tuesday, May 15 2012 @ 10:06 AM EDT  
Anonymous: Vic

Yes Islandgirl, Elizabeth is the only one that made it. But knowing the age of mom and dad, the fact that they have one healthy offspring is great news. I had to chuckle when Doug said he doesn't even have to whistle anymore to mom and dad, he just has to clap his hands and they come running...(hilarious). HAGD everyone Smile

By: GG (offline) on Tuesday, May 15 2012 @ 10:13 AM EDT  
GG

Could you please clarify what you meant by "the only one that made it"? Sounds like there were two eggs, but one didn't hatch (like Dudley)? Or did the 2nd let just not make it through hatch or afterward?

P.S. Yes, the fact alone that Mom & Dad still have healthy offspring is wonderful news. One 'let is plenty for them to handle at their age!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: jacx (offline) on Tuesday, May 15 2012 @ 09:18 PM EDT  
jacx

I did not know that one egg didn't make it. Is this true? I feel so bad. Doug, do you know this for sure? I have my class watching...(3rd grade) and they have had some questions that you were going to be happy to answer. I need to know you are still with this site. I wish I knew if there was another way to reach you.

I hope all is well and that mom and dad Hornby are doing ok. I don't feel I always have a good view to see them on the new camera. I sure miss watching the inside of the nest. They really were such an important part of my life and my students. We began watching them when they first came back to Hornby and I had so much to tell the kids. I had read Doug's book and talked about last year and shared with the class the site I used last year for our school-Oostburg Elementary School in Wisconsin. (I had been watching for 3 years).
Again Doug thanks for all you have done. Thanks. Mrs. Puerzer

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 05:29 AM EDT  
nightowl

WEDNESDAY, MAY 16, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: mew (offline) on Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 07:28 AM EDT  
mew

When Doug visited the White Rock chat last weekend, he said he was not sure if there were two eggs to begin with. He has not seen a second as he still cannot see the full interior of the nest. However, he is sure there is only one eaglet. Perhaps as the season progresses, and more of the nest sides get tramped down or fall away with wingercising by Elizabeth, he'll be able to see more.

Forum

Catonsville,
Maryland

Profile Email   PM

By: GG (offline) on Wednesday, May 16 2012 @ 09:31 AM EDT  
GG

Well, there you go. Thank you so much Mewwwwww for the clarification. I'm glad Doug's view isn't totally obstructed anymore. Even a limited view is better than none. So it seems there might well have just been one egg, one eaglet, but it seems no one can say for sure right now whether or not there ever was a second egg. Regardless, welcome little Elizabeth to the world- she is one very lucky eaglet to have been born in to Hornby royalty!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

All times are EST. The time is now 12:05 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate