The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 06:17 AM EDT  
nightowl

Hey gemini2kds! :hello:

Since I don't follow Richmond or Norfolk, I can only rely on what I've read (and a few personal opinions).

I think when some people start watching a wildlife cam, they don't realize what they might see will be raw nature, and sometimes their psyche can't handle it. I know I have a hard time and I've even turned the cams off to avoid witnessing something that will upset me. That's our nature because we care. (not that others don't, just some handle it better than others) No matter what, there's always going to be Nervous Nellies around.

At HWF, we've experienced some of the same outcry the folks at Richmond apparently have.

From what I've read, the experts think possibly the cam might have something to so with the parents avoiding the nest, and I'm sure they have their reasons to believe that. Wildlife can be unpredictable and maybe they were spooked by the cam? Ideally, removing the chicklets to a foster nest would have been best...and I don't know if they found one...but the chicklets health seems to be of the utmost importance to the experts. (Upon removal, they were healthy) I also understand they will be monitoring the nest from the ground to watch for the parents return. Hopefully they will, and possibly return the chicklets to them.

I support the removal of the chicklets from the Norfolk nest after Mom was killed. They were still young enough that a lone parent hunting for food would have left them vulnerable to attacks from other animals. With both parents around, while one hunts, the other is usually nearby watching the nest, ready to defend them. It's also possible Dad wouldn't have been able to find enough food to feed them...that's a case where it usually takes both parents working in tandem. I certainly wouldn't wanted to watch those babies starve.

David and Alexandra were 2 well fed chicklets. Green LOL 2011 was a good year for Ma and Pa finding food for them. 2010 when Phoenix hatched was a harsh year for food. I worried about her. I know an eagle (chicklets included) can go a couple of days without food without any detrimental effects, but that doesn't mean they like it! (Hope thought an hour without food was a tragedy!)

With or without cams, life in these nests go in, either in triumph or tragedy. We just need to feel fortunate to have the opportunity to get a glimpse into the lives of our wildlife.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: gemini2kd (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 10:47 AM EDT  
gemini2kd

Very well said Nightowl and I agree some people dont know how they will react to a situation but a missed feeding isnt a big deal and is not unusual in wildlife or human life and people do care, as for the cams are kids at hornby nest tried taking it apart and now mom and dad have hidden it from Doug with all the cams running, not sure that the cam is the reason for the parents being spooked at Richmond maybe its low flying jets crashing into buildings,I know people will agree with what your saying 95% of the time but im saying intervention needs to be thought out before a hasty decision is made last year flyer was rescued and Davids fear is that they the parents may leave the nest and build a new one somewhere else in which they did, rotten tree was part of it but they changed locations as well. Even with 2 parents nest get attacked by bears by other raptors other animals as we have seen even storms and poor nest construction cause eaglets and other birds an early demise, last year an osprey lost all 3 their chicks in different ways ,it is what it is..

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: GG (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 11:53 AM EDT  
GG

I am not convinced the problem at Richmond was the cam being in the nest. I think there has just been too much activity going on and I would think having someone going up and down the nest tree repeatedly would more likely be the cause. The eagles didn't seem to have a problem with the cam being there up until now. But I am not as familiar with the Richmond nest so I really can't make an educated guess. Regarding Sidney, I also don't think Flyer's rescue discouraged the parents from that nest as they continued to take care of the lets right through the end of the season. I think it was more likely the branches that started falling into the nest, and them sensing the tree was not in the best of shape. I sure do miss them, but I hope they are thriving as always! As for Hornby, I have to respectfully disagree with you, nightowl. I DO, and will always believe there was a food shortage last season. Not through May, but after that the food just mysteriously disappeared. I spent many a long day watching the nest waiting and waiting for food to come in. I also saw the condition of Mom's feathers when she arrived back and saw the residual effects of the food shortage. Of course, thankfully, David and Alexandra fledged successfully, and that is all behind us and them. Sounds like the food supply on Hornby is great right now and hopefully will continue to be so, and Mom looks much better than she did when she first arrived home. Looking forward to more reports, and to the views from the new cam. I have kept my cam watching this season to a safe distance since my two favorites, Hornby and Sidney, were not being broadcast. I think it's such a privilege to be able to look through a window onto these creatures' lives, and I felt a responsibilty to be there during not just the happy but also the sad times, so that we might learn something. But I have to say, after the situation with Hope the bear last September, which is still painful to think about, I have kept a safe "distance" to a point (all that might be out the window though once the new cam gets launched. I never could resist those Hornbys!) Even with Norfolk and those rotating females, it's starting to drive me crazy. I really like #3 and was thrilled she was back but then I felt bad for 4. Now 4 is back and I can't help but worry about 3. Wish they would just learn to share! Every season we see tragedies and joys, not to mention we learn something new watching these cams. More and more people must be interested because there seem to be more and more cams popping up everwhere!

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Vic () on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 12:27 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Vic

My computer went haywire a few weeks ago so I lost alot of stuff Sad I couldn't come back in as myself (llefty) so I had to start over as Vic. Oh my......anyway, if we women would just settle down and stop jumping up and down screaming and shouting about the lousy food supply, I think things would go a whole lot better. But I fear that this will never happen Sad You don't see or hear men doing this! We women are built different. We are the caregivers. We will take care of babies even if they don't need it Smile Cams have been turned off because women can't really handle nature, we will always try to fix it. I watch White Rock and Decorah and sometimes pop over to Delta2 because these are much calmer sites. Decorah has thousands of watchers but it is a calm site. I pop in here to see if Doug has given us an update, but I chose not to get back into any site that has women going "Nuts".

By: GG (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 12:41 PM EDT  
GG

You know what, nevermind.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Vic () on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 05:01 PM EDT  

You shouldn't have taken my comment personally GG. My "assumption is correct according to me. My statement wasn't aimed at any one person. Just my opinion. It seems your statement proves my point. I'm not upset and you shouldn't get upset just over someone elses opinion. That is what is so nice about this site....people can have a comment and no one gets upset. I was speaking generally....in fact I had to go back and read your statement....I was commenting on the topic..not you. Please calm yourself...life is too short. Now, I think I will go look in on some eagles Smile llefty

By: GG (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 05:15 PM EDT  
GG

Oh, I'm actually quite calm llefty. LOL and was not upset. I just thought it was quite funny that you decided to make a comment like that right after we brought up the food supply. Not quite sure what "proves your point" but thanks for the clarification. LOL.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Vic () on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 07:44 PM EDT  

Nuf said Smile

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:41 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate