Our new website is live!

https://www.hancockwildlife.org

The New Forum is also live -
please join us!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: Anonymous: kathyj () on Thursday, April 12 2012 @ 07:42 AM EDT  
Anonymous: kathyj

Loved the video, Charlie03. I would never image an eagle swimming like that, but seemed to do it pretty easy.

I too hope Doug will continue to share his knowledge with us. Without him, we would never had met Ma & Pa Hornby, and possibly alot of other eagles than we know so much about now.

By: nightowl (offline) on Thursday, April 12 2012 @ 08:59 AM EDT  
nightowl

Good morning Hornby! wave

Hey gemini2kd and kathyj! :hello:

I'm sure Doug has his opinion about the new cam. Once the cam goes live, this thread will be for Doug's observations of happenings on and around the nest...just like he's been doing. He knows he's free to post here at any time. A new thread will be opened for what goes on in the nest from the cam, so we'll have 2 separate threads for Hornby.

Yep, Doug has been an invaluable resource for information about Ma, Pa, and all the critters on Hornby. We hope he continues to give us his insights.

It's 10 days till the projected hatch date! Egg hatch:

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: Anonymous: kathyj () on Thursday, April 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM EDT  
Anonymous: kathyj

Hi Nightowl

Not long to go now. with so many webcams available now, I find it hard to really concentrate on any one - spoilt for choice. But always try and keep an eye on Hornby, even if not posting much.

By: nightowl (offline) on Friday, April 13 2012 @ 02:59 AM EDT  
nightowl

FRIDAY, APRIL 13, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, April 14 2012 @ 03:20 AM EDT  
nightowl

SATURDAY, APRIL 14, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: jbkgrants (offline) on Saturday, April 14 2012 @ 12:46 PM EDT  
jbkgrants

wave Nightowl, gemini2kd, Kathryn, and all Hornby friends!!

Yes, there are certainly changes happening with our Hornby thread! I am looking forward to hearing from everyone who love this special eagle couple. I so appreciate Doug's observations, not only of Ma and Pa Hornby, but of all the wildlife activity on the island. This is indeed such a special place. I hope you'all come by and enjoy yourselves!

Jill, Member since April 10, 2009

Forum

McKinney, Texas

Profile Email Website PM

By: gemini2kd (offline) on Saturday, April 14 2012 @ 09:22 PM EDT  
gemini2kd

Hi everyone," this posting is of strong opinon" .When the eagle cam was first installed it was for educational purposes by an educator,as we all know it was Doug Carricks curiosity for eagles and nest life that set him on his journey.Im sure Doug has seen many unusual behaviour from all kinds of wildlife animals he has watched an noted and accepted them as wildlife. Scanning the cams today it came to my attention that Richmond Va nest cam was having some trouble the parents have stopped feeding the eaglets and the viewers have become very upset crying and worried and saying prayers .Now they have stopped streaming and are talking about taking the cam down because they feel that is what is causing the parents to abort the chicks ,(do u think the parents know hundreds or thousands of people are watching their every poop shot I would be nervous to!).The last time the chicks were fed by the parents was Thursday and Friday the vet was climbing the tree and Saturday the cam was turned off and now no one can see if the parents will be back to do there parent roles and its just as well because that or other audiances cant deal with wildlife,they begin to fret and whine the minute something dosent seem normal. Last year Alexandra and David survived through many missed meals but for me the hardest part was watching them go and never knowing what has become of them and that family life was not like ours..it was tough I still think of them babies on there own in the wild world .Last year Norfolks mom died and the eaglets were removed the next day, we will never know what would of happened if dad was left to take care of them and I think he could have, thats the educational part of it all the best part. This year no eggs not from a shortage of females.I like what Starr Ranch did Pete and mom were sucessful in raising 5 chicks even with 2 parents this is difficult task, food is diffenitly an issue for all wildlife.I feel Richmond over reacted same with Norfolk last year. For the people who want to see what happens next how wildlife goes on we get deprived ..thank goodness Hornby kept going when mom and dad seem to neglect the nest for a short time despite moans and groans we saw a beautiful end 2 fully grown chicks fledge.

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, April 15 2012 @ 03:02 AM EDT  
nightowl

SUNDAY, APRIL 15, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:55 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate