The Forum Has Moved!

Please Join Us at https://forum.hancockwildlife.org
You'll need to register again - please use the same user name

See You There!

Forum Index > Eagle Nests Across North America - and the World > Nests in BC - with Ground Observers
 Hornby Island ~ 2012 Bald Eagle Nest Cam
 |  Printable Version
By: nightowl (offline) on Friday, March 30 2012 @ 07:57 AM EDT  
nightowl

FRIDAY, MARCH 30, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: bruner (offline) on Friday, March 30 2012 @ 01:22 PM EDT  
bruner

Gosh, I have no idea how to temporarily stop my daily notifications on this wonderful forum, but I am going away for 3 weeks....1 April to 25 April, 2012. Can someone please tell me how. I certainly don't want to cancel but just not get any emails until I return.

Thanks.

bruner

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: Anonymous: Doug Carrick () on Friday, March 30 2012 @ 02:09 PM EDT  
Anonymous: Doug Carrick

Thousands of gulls are feeding on herring eggs, which are either attached to seaweed at low tide or washed free and floating in the water at higher tides. I looked closely and identified 4 types of gulls: glaucus-winged gulls, thayer's gulls, California gulls and mew gulls.

The proper family name for gulls is "laris", Greek for "ravenous sea birds". (On the side, I can see that "ravenous" comes from ravens.) The common word "gull" comes from Old English for "throat" or gullet. And from that comes the word "gullable", a person who would swallow anything.

So, whether Greek, Latin or Old English, gulls are identified for their habit of gobbling food - and they are at it right now.

By: nightowl (offline) on Friday, March 30 2012 @ 08:16 PM EDT  
nightowl

Quote by: bruner

Gosh, I have no idea how to temporarily stop my daily notifications on this wonderful forum, but I am going away for 3 weeks....1 April to 25 April, 2012. Can someone please tell me how. I certainly don't want to cancel but just not get any emails until I return.

Thanks.

bruner

Good afternoon Hornby! wave

Try this bruner and see if it helps...

forum/viewtopic.php?topic=203247#203247

If that doesn't work, go into your Account Settings (located at the right top of every page ), click on the Forum Preferences tab. Uncheck 'Always Notify' 'Notify only once' and 'Include full post in Notification' Then click 'Save Information'. On your return, you'll have to reverse the steps...with this forum, everything is permanent unless you change it again.

I hope one of those options work for you! Smile

Hey Doug! Thanks for the lessons today. Once a teacher, always a teacher. Nodding yes I did learn something new today, and that is I had no idea why they were called 'gulls' and that they gobbled their food down. I don't know if we have many gulls here, but I have seen Egrets when the rivers flood.

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: bruner (offline) on Friday, March 30 2012 @ 08:30 PM EDT  
bruner

Hello nightowl

Thank you for your assistance. Tried to do what you advised and will see if it works. If not, well no big deal....I don't have a laptop so may not be able to check the forum for the next 3 weeks, but my daughter in law loaned me a small laptop but it may or may not work....LOL

Thanks Doug for the newest update.

A little early, but HAPPY EASTER EVERYBODY!

Bruner

Forum

Profile Email   PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, March 31 2012 @ 03:32 AM EDT  
nightowl

SATURDAY, MARCH 31, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Saturday, March 31 2012 @ 05:11 AM EDT  
nightowl

Hey Bruner! :hello:

One of those options should work for you...that's the way I have mine set up, and I don't get any email notifications. Before, on the old forum, I had my profile set up different, and I got an email for every post on the forum! Faint Didn't take me long to change it though!

Enjoy your trip and hope your loaner laptop works. We'll keep an eye on Ma and Pa for you. Nodding yes

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

By: nightowl (offline) on Sunday, April 01 2012 @ 03:04 AM EDT  
nightowl

SUNDAY, APRIL 1, 2012

Hornby Weather

member since May 9, 2006

Forum

St. Louis, Mo. USA

Profile     PM

All times are EST. The time is now 11:05 PM.
Normal Topic Normal Topic
Locked Topic Locked Topic
Sticky Topic Sticky Topic
New Post New Post
Sticky Topic W/ New Post Sticky Topic W/ New Post
Locked Topic W/ New Post Locked Topic W/ New Post
View Anonymous Posts 
Able to Post 
HTML Allowed 
Censored Content 

?

Please Donate